Hr10-250

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
Getting ready to order this unit on Ebay. It is an owned box. So...no worries right? I hope so.

My basic desire is to first tune the OTA digitals. Now, question:

Do I need to subscribe to Tivo service in conjunction with DirecTV to allow the EPG and/or PVR to work with OTA?

I wanna start out with OTA only, then eventually upgrade to a subscription if time and money allow. Looking for input on functionality and problems. Thanks in advance.

Getting ready to order this unit on Ebay. It is an owned box. So...no worries right? I hope so.

My basic desire is to first tune the OTA digitals. Now, question:

Do I need to subscribe to Tivo service in conjunction with DirecTV to allow the EPG and/or PVR to work with OTA?

I wanna start out with OTA only, then eventually upgrade to a subscription if time and money allow. Looking for input on functionality and problems. Thanks in advance.

I'm not 100% certain, but I doubt you will get the guide to work without a DirectTV DVR subscription. You will, however, be able to receive OTA, so you can check it out for functionality.

You will probably have buffers enabled, but no recording. You can't subscribe with Tivo, but need to do that with Directv. It will probably require a minimal package, HD access fee and DVR fee to get all the functionality (~$45). I'm not sure if Directv will even activate these anymore, since they will be moving the only HD channels it can receive to MPEG4 soon and they will be lost to the HR10. Without a Directv subscription you will get some error messages occasionally, but the box should function as an OTA receiver. Unless the price is very attractive, I'd pass on it.

I'm gonna say NO you will not be able to have OTA access with the unit without a active D* sub on the receiver.
I know with the newer rec's you have to have a sat signal before you can get past the opening screens to get into the box to set up anything else.

So you probably will have to have it hooked up to the dish and a signal on it for it to proceed any further.

Do you have a D* account yet, a working receiver, IF NOT they probably willNOT allow you to activate a used unit, you might want to check with D* about this ahead of time if you don't already have a D* sub., before you spend the money on this unit.
Keep in mind that soon,OTA may be all it is capable of.

Jimbo

OK, so luckily I got outbid and I didn't win the auction. I'll keep my eyes open.

Go with the new stuff, you'll be happier.

Also, are you an existing D* sub ?
IF Not they probably won't let you sub a used unit (of any kind) so instead of buying a used lease one from ebay, have you called them to see what deals they have currently ?

Disregard if you are a current D* sub as they will add a used rec. , you just can;t open an account with one.

Jimbo

You can use it as on OTA tuner and will get guide data if connected to a satellite. You just couldn't record with it.

Cust Serv. just told me no receivers left with OTA built in, must find @ Wal-Mart, CC, BB, Ebay or other. Will let me swap out for my H21-200, return leased rcvr, and have owned one instead w/ OTA and RF remote.

If you just want to record OTA maybe the new Echostar OTA HD DVR would be the way to go. Not sure when they are releasing it.

If you just want to record OTA maybe the new Echostar OTA HD DVR would be the way to go. Not sure when they are releasing it.

I bet that cost alot more than the OTA tuner D* is talking about.
I have no problem with the tuner except that it is a separate box to deal with when it didn't need to be.

Here's a thought:
Maybe D* will put an OTA tuner BACK in the next generation if the separate tuner doesn't go over well.

Of course this idea is making them more money, so probably not.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)