Hr10-250

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just swapped my HR 10-250 for a Hr21.

The installer let me keep the 10-250, but I guess its junk.

Can I pull out the HD and get an E-sata enclosure to use as a supplement for my HR21?

Can the OTA tuners be used at all?

as far as i know the ota should still be working. that's one of the main reasons i bought mine.....that and using it for sd which is becoming more and more obsolete!

Can I pull out the HD and get an E-sata enclosure to use as a supplement for my HR21?
eSATA connected drives can only be used to replace the internal drive. There's not much point in replacing a 320GB drive with a 250GB drive that is going to require an interface adapter (IDE->eSATA) that costs more than the drive is worth.

Crap...mine cost a grand when I bought it and it was obsolete in less than two years. Next time read before you buy.

Read what? That I needed a phone line to use the DVR, I've bought plenty of TIVO's from here or other places, never once was there an issue of using it..

Cannot read it if it isnt posted.

Good news on this is he has completely ignored Paypal, and has until tomorrow to repsond, bad news I probably get nothing unless he sells something else..

Swap HR10-250 for an HD receiver? I've been a customer for 5 years, order sunday ticket, DVR and HBO yet when DTV calls me about this "free" swap, they eventually admit I am leasing the box for $5 a month.

Are you guys getting them to do an even trade - without bogus leasing fees?

Swap HR10-250 for an HD receiver? I've been a customer for 5 years, order sunday ticket, DVR and HBO yet when DTV calls me about this "free" swap, they eventually admit I am leasing the box for $5 a month.

Are you guys getting them to do an even trade - without bogus leasing fees?

You are paying $4.99 per month for every receiver or DVR after your first one. If you have only one there is no fee. For a 2nd one you pay a $4.99 mirroring fee if you own it or a $4.99 Lease fee if you lease it. If you don't want to pay any fee then just have one unit activated.

You are paying $4.99 per month for every receiver or DVR after your first one. If you have only one there is no fee. For a 2nd one you pay a $4.99 mirroring fee if you own it or a $4.99 Lease fee if you lease it. If you don't want to pay any fee then just have one unit activated.

I didn't pay any fees for extra receivers until I got a "free" (leased) unit from DTV last year. When I owned both receivers I didn't pay any mirroring or leasing fees. Right now my bill shows a $5 leasing fee because of the HR21. The two CSRs I've spoken with have said I would pay an additional $5 a month if I took their offer and gave up my last owned HR10-250. .

I didn't pay any fees for extra receivers until I got a "free" (leased) unit from DTV last year.
If you look back at some of your old bills, you will indeed find that you were paying a per month mirroring fee on your second (and any successive) receiver. This has been the case from the git-go.

There is no monthly cost impact to leasing versus owning other than leasing often comes with some free protection plan that you might otherwise have to pay for.

If you look back at some of your old bills, you will indeed find that you were paying a per month mirroring fee on your second (and any successive) receiver. This has been the case from the git-go.

There is no monthly cost impact to leasing versus owning other than leasing often comes with some free protection plan that you might otherwise have to pay for.

Just called 3 times. Everytime it's the same thing:

1. $5 charge per month - no way around it and my bill will go up by $5.
2. Scheduled installation (this is the biggest sticking point)

I already have a 5 lnb dish. We already have one of the lesser quality DTV HD DVRs. This "swap" is simply unplugging the old device 10-250, plugging in the new device. I am not going to take time off work, sit around my house for 4 hours so a guy can show up and plug in a crap-quality DVR.

They used to allow for self-installs. I asked if I could order or buy a new HD DVR and then they could give me a credit. Nope. WTF? How does it benefit DTV to force customers into having strangers come to their homes? Letting me buy it and refunding the cost SAVES DTV money, saves me time and more importantly keeps me happy.

Last edited:
1. $5 charge per month - no way around it and my bill will go up by $5.
If you don't take a receiver off, your bill will go up. It has always worked like that; every time you add a receiver, your bill goes up. If you replace an existing receiver or DVR, your bill will remain the same (unless the added device is your first DVR in which case you incur a DVR fee).

Two lessons to be learned here:

1. If you don't ask the right question, you'll likely not get the right answer.

2. Leasing is the same monthly cost as owning (unless you have to take out a loan to buy the receiver).

i think the free swap is that you get an hr20 or 21 without paying the usual $199 upgrade fee.

Correct.

An update on the 250. I tested for a signal on the OTA and got them, then I made a stupid mistake and went into setup and restarted the set up for ota only. It came back with a message to contact D* to activate the unit. When I tried to test the ota signal mit was gone.

Oh well, I got all my recorded programming archived onto DVD's.

Now the question is can I pull that HDD and use it with my PC in any way?
Replace PC hard drive (250gb vs 80)?
Put it in a usb or eSata enclosure for back up?

Correct.

An update on the 250. I tested for a signal on the OTA and got them, then I made a stupid mistake and went into setup and restarted the set up for ota only. It came back with a message to contact D* to activate the unit. When I tried to test the ota signal mit was gone.

Oh well, I got all my recorded programming archived onto DVD's.

Replace PC hard drive (250gb vs 80)?
Put it in a usb or eSata enclosure for back up?

that's a very good questio. if its possible, i would certainly prefer 250 vs 40.

but isn't there a way, you can use the hr10 just for ota? i know you wouldn't be able to record but would be using the tuner function?

Yes, but it would be like using a moving van to commute to work. The drives are relatively slow and not well suited to the kind of stresses that a modern personal computer would put on them.

You can buy a brand new 7200 RPM drive for just over $40 and if you have a SATA interface, you can get deals for around $60 on 500GB drives.

Read what? That I needed a phone line to use the DVR, I've bought plenty of TIVO's from here or other places, never once was there an issue of using it..

Cannot read it if it isnt posted.

Good news on this is he has completely ignored Paypal, and has until tomorrow to repsond, bad news I probably get nothing unless he sells something else..

WHAT???? How about every Tivo prior to the introduction of the newtwork funcions, or the fact that these have been obsolete for 2 years as far as the new HD content goes. I am betting someone needs a lesson on google, I pulled up about 30 threads within seconds. As great as staguys is, it is not the end all be all of satellite information and definetly not the place I would look for TIVO info.

WHAT???? How about every Tivo prior to the introduction of the newtwork funcions, or the fact that these have been obsolete for 2 years as far as the new HD content goes. I am betting someone needs a lesson on google, I pulled up about 30 threads within seconds. As great as staguys is, it is not the end all be all of satellite information and definetly not the place I would look for TIVO info.

Your post is pointless, move on troll..Must be nice to be so much smarter then everyone else!!

Your post is pointless, move on troll..Must be nice to be so much smarter then everyone else!!

I wouldn't put it the way the previous poster did, but the HDTivo being obsolete is fairly well-publicized. Randomly googling "hd channels hr10-250" got an interesting first result. It read "You CANNOT get the new HD channels with an HR10-250." The second title was "DirecTV HR10-250 HD Tivo Obsolete?"

Googling "hr10-250 channels" got the following additional results:
  • MPEG4 and HR10-250:What Channels Won't I Get?
  • Has my DirecTV HR10-250 just become a doorstop?

I feel your pain, but I would not blame the seller. Caveat emptor.

Not everyone, but judging by the way you opened yourself up to it... definetly you. :D

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)