HR20-100S remote RF antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sjmills@mac.com

Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
MN
I'm cranky that they didn't include the remote RF antenna in the box. Is it possible to just stick a hunk of coax on there and get reception from the remote? Would the shielding need to be removed (in which case it'd just be a length of wire making contact with the internal conductor)? I don't really know anything about RF reception techniques. Or should I just stop whining and see if DirecTV will send/sell me the antenna?

Edit: Yikes! It's 30 bucks for the antenna.

Last edited:
I'm cranky that they didn't include the remote RF antenna in the box. Is it possible to just stick a hunk of coax on there and get reception from the remote? Would the shielding need to be removed (in which case it'd just be a length of wire making contact with the internal conductor)? I don't really know anything about RF reception techniques. Or should I just stop whining and see if DirecTV will send/sell me the antenna?

Edit: Yikes! It's 30 bucks for the antenna.

You need an rf remote as well as an rf capable receiver and antenna. Check the back of the remote. If it has an FCC sticker on it, it's rf. If there is no sticker, it's probably not an rf remote. You can buy them from Direct or other sources. Since there is no antenna, I'm guessing the remote is ir only.

Holy crap! I just realized it's been nearly six years since you have posted, and you have only six posts! You must be a very happy customer with nothing to complain about for that long! :)

The remote's a CR65R and the DirecTV support person said it was RF capable. It had a sticker on the back that I promptly removed and threw away because the corners were uncomfortable, but yes, I believe it mentioned the FCC. I hate to spend $30 on an antenna when the previous receiver we got from them (HR21-700) included the antenna internally. If I can rig something that will work, I'd be happier. Any thoughts?

Yup, it's been a while since I've been here. :) In fact, the diplexer that I installed per my previous thread caused me to have a DirecTV service call yesterday after this new HR20-100S wouldn't tune any HD channels. I removed the part we had behind the old receiver, but forgot about the other half down in the basement. Felt kinda dumb when he found that and said, "well, here's yer problem!" :)

The remote's a CR65R and the DirecTV support person said it was RF capable. It had a sticker on the back that I promptly removed and threw away because the corners were uncomfortable, but yes, I believe it mentioned the FCC. I hate to spend $30 on an antenna when the previous receiver we got from them (HR21-700) included the antenna internally. If I can rig something that will work, I'd be happier. Any thoughts?

So why not try a piece of coax and see if that works. You may need to experiment. If not, maybe eBay or some other reseller would have it cheaper.

The cost of the RF antenna just adds $5 to the price of the RF remote, so it goes from $25 for RF remote only to $30 RF remote & RF antenna. If you were to purchase a NFL logoed RF remote for $22, it comes with antenna.

Since the RF antenna was included in the box when I got the HR20-100s, I didn't think anything of it. But, I don't see why a short piece of RG6 with an F connector and stripped with a few inches of center conductor showing wouldn't work.

Thanks for all the replies. I tried a piece of 3' coax that had a connector on one end. Didn't work. I'll try stripping a 6" piece tomorrow.

I already have the remote, so I'm not going to buy another one for $30. Besides, DirecTV said their antenna was $30. Didn't you see that part of my post? And I hate football, so no special NFL logo remotes for me, thanks.

Thanks for all the replies. I tried a piece of 3' coax that had a connector on one end. Didn't work. I'll try stripping a 6" piece tomorrow.

I already have the remote, so I'm not going to buy another one for $30. Besides, DirecTV said their antenna was $30. Didn't you see that part of my post? And I hate football, so no special NFL logo remotes for me, thanks.

They were including the price of the remote and antenna together. Check their website.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)