HR20-100S vs HR20-700

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Is the 100 the new version? If money is no object, should I go with the 100 over the 700? :confused: Thanks. -Rob

Here are the differences and they are very very minor.

1. RF antenna is inside for -700. Its external on -100. Some have reported a greater range on the -100
  2. -100 has 2 digital audio outs. One is RCA type coax and the other is Toslink optical. The -700 only has Toslink
  3. The -100 has a slightly larger hard drive by 20 GB.
  4. The -100 has 2 ethernet ports but its reported that the second one will never be used.
  5. The -100 is slightly cooler and has its vent on the bottom of the unit and the -700 is on the top. The top makes a fancy Directv swoosh with the holes.

Aside from slightly different release schedules on the software, they act and do the same thing. I have both and really have no preference at all.

Last edited:
The 100 is the coolest (i.e. temperature) running DVR I have encountered, and I have been through Ultimate TV, TIVO, and now two 100's. The 100 is also the first quiet DVR I have encountered. I mercifully retired my last turbine fan DirecTivo:clap this past Monday. Finally a DVR I can stand having in the bedroom.

Here are the differences and they are very very minor.

1. RF antenna is inside for -700. Its external on -100. Some have reported a greater range on the -100
  2. -100 has 2 digital audio outs. One is RCA type coax and the other is Toslink optical. The -700 only has Toslink
  3. The -100 has a slightly larger hard drive by 20 GB.
  4. The -100 has 2 ethernet ports but its reported that the second one will never be used.
  5. The -100 is slightly cooler and has its vent on the bottom of the unit and the -700 is on the top. The top makes a fancy Directv swoosh with the holes.

Aside from slightly different release schedules on the software, they act and do the same thing. I have both and really have no preference at all.

I just had a HR20-100 installed 7-23 and it only has Toslink optical output, NO coax digital out. It has 1 ethernet port and a USB port. There is NO external connection for a RF antenna and I have no idea if there's 1 on the inside because I was given an IR remote.

I just thought I'd mention these differences fwiw.

Robin

I just had a HR20-100 installed 7-23 and it only has Toslink optical output, NO coax digital out. It has 1 ethernet port and a USB port. There is NO external connection for a RF antenna and I have no idea if there's 1 on the inside because I was given an IR remote.

I just thought I'd mention these differences fwiw.

Robin

Are you sure you have a -100 and not a -700 ?

Jimbo

Are you sure you have a -100 and not a -700 ?

Jimbo

It's a 100 and it was made in Mexico. Says so on the box and in the info&test menu. I was disappointed with the optical output cuz I had a couple unused digital coax cables and had to go buy my first optical cable for this DVR. I tried switching my remote to RF but it wouldn't work, it's only a IR. I'm thinking that this H20-100 must have a built-in antenna cuz there is no external antenna hookup on the back. Anyone know where I can get a RF remote?

Robin

Anyone know where I can get a RF remote?

Robin

I got an extra one from my buddies at my local A/ V store (not CC or BB) an actual A / V store, but I think they got it from another piece of equipment that was not needing one.
I have not seen them for sale anywhere, I looked all over before I got mine.
You might want to try online ...

Jimbo

If the back of the receiver looks like this, its a the HR20-100. If not, you have the -700 model.

Attachments

• HR20-100.JPG
    HR20-100.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 546
It's a 100 and it was made in Mexico. Says so on the box and in the info&test menu. I was disappointed with the optical output cuz I had a couple unused digital coax cables and had to go buy my first optical cable for this DVR. I tried switching my remote to RF but it wouldn't work, it's only a IR. I'm thinking that this H20-100 must have a built-in antenna cuz there is no external antenna hookup on the back. Anyone know where I can get a RF remote?

Robin
I think your mistaken. Their talking about HR 20 not H20. The DVR receiver. No big deal just thought I'd let you know.

HR20-100s - RF not working

We had a HR20-700s that died. Yesterday the DTV guy came and replaced it with a refurbished HR20-100s. He gave us a new RC64R remote (RF with the larger buttons). He let us keep our older RC32R (RF enabled) remote too. I've tried now with both and when I set it to RF, it doesn't respond to either remote.

I've read that some of the DTV DVRs need an external RF antenna. Is this one of them? Is that why the RF won't work? Can anyone help?

We had a HR20-700s that died. Yesterday the DTV guy came and replaced it with a refurbished HR20-100s. He gave us a new RC64R remote (RF with the larger buttons). He let us keep our older RC32R (RF enabled) remote too. I've tried now with both and when I set it to RF, it doesn't respond to either remote.

I've read that some of the DTV DVRs need an external RF antenna. Is this one of them? Is that why the RF won't work? Can anyone help?

Is there a coaxial jack on the back that says rf antenna? If so, that's where it goes!

Yep, I didn't even see it the first time. But, the service guy when he swapped them out didn't give me the antenna......figures.

Yep, I didn't even see it the first time. But, the service guy when he swapped them out didn't give me the antenna......figures.

Try any old piece of coax, it might work well enough as an antenna.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts