hr20-700 issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

david_gilbert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 6, 2009
ms
well, my hr20-700 decided to puke the hard drive yesterday. i got home and it was scanning it to repair, left it alone all night and tonight it was finally at 100%, over 24 hours later! it rebooted, then attempted the saem thing. i powered it down for 10-15 minutes, then when i brough tit back up it shot thru the scan, showed 100% passed, then rebooted. and of course, started scanning again. i tried to catch office depot before they closed to just get an external eSATA drive, but missed it by about 10 minutes. of course no one else here has any externals in anythign but USB.

good news is that D is shipping me another HDDVR. i informed them i use the OTA for my locals since they are not availble on spot beam here. i dunno if i will get another HR20, or if it will be a newer model and the external tuner. CS did say i would have OTA capability, but could not tell me which way. only thing i paid for is the shipping, so if it is the external that is ok as long as it is free.

now my real question, if i put an eSATA drive on the new one and the new RX were to fail down the road, will the drive keep my settings and to do lists if i move it over an dplug to a future replacement HDDVR? or will that DVR reformat it immediately?

well, my hr20-700 decided to puke the hard drive yesterday. i got home and it was scanning it to repair, left it alone all night and tonight it was finally at 100%, over 24 hours later! it rebooted, then attempted the saem thing. i powered it down for 10-15 minutes, then when i brough tit back up it shot thru the scan, showed 100% passed, then rebooted. and of course, started scanning again. i tried to catch office depot before they closed to just get an external eSATA drive, but missed it by about 10 minutes. of course no one else here has any externals in anythign but USB.

good news is that D is shipping me another HDDVR. i informed them i use the OTA for my locals since they are not availble on spot beam here. i dunno if i will get another HR20, or if it will be a newer model and the external tuner. CS did say i would have OTA capability, but could not tell me which way. only thing i paid for is the shipping, so if it is the external that is ok as long as it is free.

now my real question, if i put an eSATA drive on the new one and the new RX were to fail down the road, will the drive keep my settings and to do lists if i move it over an dplug to a future replacement HDDVR? or will that DVR reformat it immediately?

Welcome to the site !!!

NO,
It will reformat as soon as you hook it up to the new unit, basically you will not be able to access anything on it anymore..... I know it sux and wish D* would do something to change that.

i figured that, but thought i would ask.

i been on teh site for a year or longer reading off an on, just never signed up til now.

ok, go tthe HR20-100 in the other day and setup went smooth. i don't know if teh -100 is the difference, or the 34c software, but my HD is actually crisper than before. my tv is 1080i, but even on 720p shows it looks better. clearer, brighter, etc.. the old one must have been crappy and i just never knew it.

the only issue i have had is stuttering during recorded shows, even OTA channels. it will stutter or even skip a second every now and then, but only during playback. for instance the other night we watched Private Practice which we pickup OTA. we had been watching a recorded show and when it went off PP was maybe 20 minutes into the show. after about 5 mins we realized we had missed this episode last season so we started the show over from teh beginning(season pass on it) and a couple times it stuttered even during portinos that we saw live which did NOT stutter during live view. any one else seen this?

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is also a bad hard drive. sometimes you have to go through a few to get a good one.

gonna see. if this one decide to take a dump i may just go pick up a eSATA drive and be done with it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)