HR20-700 problems with 103b

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sgilez

Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
I bought an HR20-700 on Friday, hooked everything up and can only get local HDs. It says searching on the 70s and every other HD channel. Directv is sending me another box after an hour with tech support, but I keep reading problems and don't know if this is even worth the hassle. Everything works perfectly with my H20, but all the HD channels (except for the locals) stop working when I hook up the HR-20. It can't be that different can it?

I don't have any splitters, I hooked up a cable directly from the sat to the TV and still nothing, I adjusted the sat. and still nothing, and I've tried three different bbc(s) and nothing.

Could this really be just a faulty box, or is there something obvious I'm missing? I keep reading problems with 103b and am not sure if a new box will fix the problem. Is there something I can try now, so I can actually use the DVR and not wait.

I bought an HR20-700 on Friday, hooked everything up and can only get local HDs. It says searching on the 70s and every other HD channel. Directv is sending me another box after an hour with tech support, but I keep reading problems and don't know if this is even worth the hassle. Everything works perfectly with my H20, but all the HD channels (except for the locals) stop working when I hook up the HR-20. It can't be that different can it?

I don't have any splitters, I hooked up a cable directly from the sat to the TV and still nothing, I adjusted the sat. and still nothing, and I've tried three different bbc(s) and nothing.

Could this really be just a faulty box, or is there something obvious I'm missing? I keep reading problems with 103b and am not sure if a new box will fix the problem. Is there something I can try now, so I can actually use the DVR and not wait.

There is no longer any problems with the 103(b), I didn't ever hear that there was any.
I have signals ranging from 87 to 97 on my 103(b).

What are your SS's ??

Jimbo

The SS on everything is in the 90s (high 90s) with the H20. With the HR20, everything is in the 90s except for 103b.

I have tried three different bbc(s) and all of them work on the H20, so I don't think the bbc is the problem. (I don't know about the HR20 because it isn't picking up 103b).

I'm not sure what the correlation would be between the MPEG2 channels in the 70's and the other (MPEG4) HD channels. They're different satellites, after all...

Have you checked the setup of the box to make sure it's set up for a 5 LNB dish and that everything else is right...?

The SS on everything is in the 90s (high 90s) with the H20. With the HR20, everything is in the 90s except for 103b.

I have tried three different bbc(s) and all of them work on the H20, so I don't think the bbc is the problem. (I don't know about the HR20 because it isn't picking up 103b).

So you have NO signal on the 103 (b) ?
And real good on the rest ..... I would think that it may need to be dithered. possibly, wait a minute ... Do you HAVE the 103(b) on your H20 ?
If so, I would swap the HR20 with the H20 and see if you have the same problem with the H20, IF so check the cable, connections, replace the connections .... Do you have a MS in the senario?

Jimbo

I have no ms on the system, and I do have the 103b on the h20 (just not on the hr20). I keep switching the boxes out in the same room, testing out ideas.

Everything is correctly set up with the 5 lnb and all that. I'm constantly getting the "searching for sat in...(771)" on all the HD channels except for the local hd.

I have no ms on the system, and I do have the 103b on the h20 (just not on the hr20). I keep switching the boxes out in the same room, testing out ideas.

Everything is correctly set up with the 5 lnb and all that. I'm constantly getting the "searching for sat in...(771)" on all the HD channels except for the local hd.

So, if you have swapped our rec's and had no problem with the H20 originally, what happens to the H20 when you move it. Does it experience the same No signals on the 103(b) ?
Trying to get this clear in my head.

Jimbo

The H20 works great. The HR20 is the only one that doesn't get signals.

The H20 works great. The HR20 is the only one that doesn't get signals.

Ok, so that eliminates the dish being pointed (dithering) the cable to the rec., no MS in the senario.... a reset did not help I would guess. I figured you probably already tried that. and you said the system shows the 5 LNB set up, but thats obvious because the H20 works.

At this point I think I would call D* and see about them sending you a new box.
Have you done any of the CE updates ?

IF you haven't, go ahead and call D* about this.

one more thing, have you tried swapping the two feeds going into the HR20 (Sat inputs 1 and 2 ) and see what happens, IF there is NO change, call D*, IF you get a signal on the 103(b) when swapping you have a bad # 1 tuner and the unit will not finish thru the set up process, or should not that is.

Jimbo

Yeah. I've done the resets and everything. The box will go through set up and everything, and I only have one cable running to it right now. I guess this means tuner 1 works since it is going through all the set up and actually giving me programming (minus the HD).

I've got a new box coming Tues., but I was hoping there was something else I was missing that would make this an easy fix. Are these boxes tough to work with? I seem to read a lot of negatives. I'm still unsure if I actually want to try to get the new one up and running if it's going to act as difficult. We'll see...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yeah. I've done the resets and everything. The box will go through set up and everything, and I only have one cable running to it right now. I guess this means tuner 1 works since it is going through all the set up and actually giving me programming (minus the HD).

I've got a new box coming Tues., but I was hoping there was something else I was missing that would make this an easy fix. Are these boxes tough to work with? I seem to read a lot of negatives. I'm still unsure if I actually want to try to get the new one up and running if it's going to act as difficult. We'll see...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Hard to work with, No , Not at all.
Most of the negative stuff you read will come from previous TIVO fans that can't/ won't get use to the new set up.
IF you don't have TIVO withdrawls you should be fine.
I would ask the D* guy when he's out there about getting a second line to the location that the HD DVR will be in., unless your planning to do it yourself, this way you can use it to the best of it's ability, being able to record something and watch something else is a BIG advantage, also being able to record two things at once also.

Also D* is doing regular updates to the units, so the keep getting better and better.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts