HR20 and Heavy Rain

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Since you piqued my curiosity I check the National Weather Service historical records for both Houston and Norfolk (as close to you as I could get from NWS).

The National Weather Service has published historical averages (year to year) up to the year 2000 for both Norfolk and Houston

For the historical period 1971-2000, Norfolk's average rainfall was 45.73 inches per year.

For the historical period 1971-2000, Houston's average rainfall was 47.84 inches per year.

The heaviest one day rainfall ever recorded in Norfolk was 8.93 inches.

The heaviest one day rainfall ever recorded in Houston was 14.58 inches.

So who does get the most (and the hardest) rainfalls?

Great facts. Wont work though with that individual. All you will end up with is a headache. Once his mind is set on something, there is no convincing, no proving, no seeing your side, and no compromise. In fact, you are doing exactly what he wants and he is loving it.

Should I be able to get a signal on 99a and 103b now?

Definately. You should get something from nearby spotbeams as someone noted above (DC, Baltimore was mentioned I think).

For example my HD locals are on 99 TP 6 and I get a 95 signal on it. 2 other transponders on 99 I get low 50s (far away markets).

I have no channels on 103 but I get high 70s on 2 of the transponders because I'm in between Detroit and Chicago which are both on 103 and I get some other low numbers on a couple other (again, farther away markets).

I have some 97's. I dont see how bringing the signal from 97 to 99 is going to keep it from going to zero during a storm. I emailed a fellow OTA forum member last night that said D* was out for him in Chesapeake for 55 mintues during the last Nascar race. I guess he has an equipment problem too?

In your previous post #33 you said your numbers on 99 and 103 were zero. Now you are saying they are at 97. Which is it?

Check out the install videos at Solid Signal. If he didn't "fine tune" it like that then the dish isn't properly aligned. Especially for the KA sats.
good video Scott. I suppose I will have to use it since my D* installer didnt bother to tune in the new sat locations at all. I suppose D* would want money from me to do it. :rolleyes:

good video Scott. I suppose I will have to use it since my D* installer didnt bother to tune in the new sat locations at all. I suppose D* would want money from me to do it. :rolleyes:

Not nessasarily, I would call D* and see what they say, tell them you think the installer only set up the 101, 110, 119, because your not getting ANYTHING signal wise on the 99 and 103.

How long ago did they set it up.

Jimbo

Not nessasarily, I would call D* and see what they say, tell them you think the installer only set up the 101, 110, 119, because your not getting ANYTHING signal wise on the 99 and 103.

Jimbo
I havent even seen the first bill yet with the new DVR. I think its been about 4 weeks. But I do not want the same guy out here. The reason he didnt do it is because he didnt know how. And if he's doing this all over this city then D* is going to have a lot of angry customers.

Last edited:

Jimbo
I called and was transferred from a CSR to Technical assistance CSR. She had to put me on hold and ask then she said it was fine!! OMFG!!! even her supervisor is clueless??? If I am getting the 3 first sats at strong signal strength I will get the new channels? What a way to run a railroad. :rolleyes: Anyway I emailed D* as well. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will get the email. First clueless installers and now clueless technical experts. I predict the majority of customers with 5 LNB sats who do not frequent these forums are doomed.
:haha :haha

I called and was transferred from a CSR to Technical assistance CSR. She had to put me on hold and ask then she said it was fine!! OMFG!!! even her supervisor is clueless??? If I am getting the 3 first sats at strong signal strength I will get the new channels? What a way to run a railroad. :rolleyes: Anyway I emailed D* as well. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will get the email. First clueless installers and now clueless technical experts. I predict the majority of customers with 5 LNB sats who do not frequent these forums are doomed.

Makes you regret bailing on Fios because of small DVR hard drive doesnt it?

Chances are, you would not get the same installer...

If I am getting the 3 first sats at strong signal strength I will get the new channels?
V.
What are you saying here, are you talking about the first 3 sats as in 101, 110, 119. Or are you taking about the first 3 transponders on a perticular sat ?

Jimbo

Chances are, you would not get the same installer...

If I am getting the 3 first sats at strong signal strength I will get the new channels?
V.
What are you saying here, are you talking about the first 3 sats as in 101, 110, 119. Or are you taking about the first 3 transponders on a perticular sat ?

Jimbo
well since I said "the 3 first sats" and not "transponders" what do you think? yes 101,110 and 119.

well since I said "the 3 first sats" and not "transponders" what do you think? yes 101,110 and 119.

V,
I know what you said, but the 3 sats you mentioned have nothing to do with either , new channels or mpeg 4 or anything, you will not get any of the new channels from any of the sats you mentioned.

Jimbo

Quite frankly I am amazed at how many folks actually try to help you.
Brewer,
I'll TRY to help anyone that I can ....

V,
You should have some signal on at least one of the new sats, you have very good signals on the main 3 sats, as for you losing signal on them when the heavy rains come thru, that is normal and I am sure you understand how the signal gets blocked by the storm, I know of nothing that anyone can do about that, other than Mother Nature or God himself.

Jimbo

V,
You should have some signal on at least one of the new sats, you have very good signals on the main 3 sats, as for you losing signal on them when the heavy rains come thru, that is normal and I am sure you understand how the signal gets blocked by the storm, I know of nothing that anyone can do about that, other than Mother Nature or God himself.

Jimbo
Thanks Jimbo,

You know if D* supporters would just be as honest as you have been there would be far less arguing. I recieved an email from D* to call and schedule a free check of the dish.

Thanks Jimbo,

You know if D* supporters would just be as honest as you have been there would be far less arguing. I recieved an email from D* to call and schedule a free check of the dish.

In your own posting (#26) in this thread you said there was nothing wrong with the dish.

Something else is wrong because it is supposed to take a lot more rain to cause rain fade.

< 1/8"/hr = 0.01dB signal loss
1/2"/hr = 1dB signal loss
1"/hr = 2.5dB signal loss
4"/hr = 12dB signal loss - will affect signal regardless of how well dish is peaked
10"/hr = 40dB signal loss

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)