HR20 Connect to Internet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

render1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Littleton, Colorado
I have a pair of HR20s and tried connecting then to the internet. Both acquire IPs and access my network OK but cannot connect to the internet. Anyone else see this? Does D* use ports that may be blocked by my router's firewall? The D* web site is useless. Nothing in the FAQs and the search has nothing.

Last edited:
Disable your firewall and then connect to see if that is the issue. I plugged mine in and they acquired and connected without a problem.

Set your HR20's up with a Static IP address. Use a high number. Then go into your router and forward all ports to your addresses that you assigned your HR20's

Directv on Demand (video on demand), which has been in the CEs for a while and is being rolled out in the 0x1B4 national release.

I have been using it for a while but haven't needed to use a statio IP or change anything with my router. The HR20 sometimes gets confused and Menu - Setup - Network - Restore Defaults may help.

When does the new update roll out?

Supposedly it is already doing so (west to east). Or you can go the CE route (there will be another one Friday/Saturday nights).
I must be doing something wrong as I can not never force a CE download. I follow the instructions but I can never get it to go...

I must be doing something wrong as I can not never force a CE download. I follow the instructions but I can never get it to go...

The two biggest factors that got in my way when I first started doing CE downloads were the timing of when to start typing in the 02468, and then the speed at which you type in 02468. I think this is mentioned in the "How To" portion of the CE forum, but think of it as 0...1,000...2...1,000...4...1,000...6...1,000...8. I also realized that for whatever reason, my universal remote doesn't work for me when punching the code. Be sure to try doing it with the D* remote.

Now back on topic: If you are using DHCP with your router, try rebooting everything in the IP pool to refresh the tables in the router. Maybe simply rebooting the router and the HR20 will do the trick.

During the window (8-11:30 pm on the day it's available) do a reset from the setup menu. As soon as the welcome screen comes up, press 0-2-4-6-8 on your remote and wait. A "searching for software" screen should come up in several seconds. Do you get that?

During the window (8-11:30 pm on the day it's available) do a reset from the setup menu. As soon as the welcome screen comes up, press 0-2-4-6-8 on your remote and wait. A "searching for software" screen should come up in several seconds. Do you get that?
Thanks will try again...

:up

The HR20 *does not* need any ports forwarded back to it from the FW. It does not listen for incoming unsolicited connections. It only initiates outbound connections which should not be blocked by your FW or ISP.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts