HR20 issue with DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CEV

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
So a week ago, I have about 27% free space remaining. One day I notice it is down to about 15%. I know for a fact that many new programs were not recorded. I keep a close eye on what is on there. I come home today and it is up to 37%. What gives? While writing this, I did have a thought. I think once it gets low enough, it will delete programs that are set to be deleted as space is needed. So I went through the list and I did not notice anything missing. I am 98% sure that this was not the case. So does anyone know why this is fluctuating so much? It really has me wondering.

on these programs that you're recording, do you have it set to keep all of them or to only keep one at at time? i have for example NFL live to record everyday but to erase the one from lets say yesterday even if i didn't see it.

I have all shows set to be kept until i delete them.

It updated last night. Yesterday disk space was about 17% and today is about 37%. I do not even know what it should be.

I have restarted and it is still at 37% so I'm figuring that is what it should be. Just weird how it jumped around so much.

Sometimes it take a while for the unit to report a correct free space if you've recently deleted shows. I've seen it take an hour or more to settle on what the real free space was.

I've also seen a few instances where I was pretty sure the free space indicator was definitely wrong and I think I even posted about it here. I never did add everything up to make sure, but it seemed like there was a good double digit difference.

Only other thing I can offer is that mpeg4 recorded material is done with variable rate compression, and shows in 1080i with a high bitrate and high levels of motion can be substantially larger on disk than shows in 480 or 720 with a lower bitrate and less motion.

Mpeg2 recorded shows can also be a lot larger on disk than mpeg4 shows.

So depending on the mix of content, 50 hours of HD might leave you with 50% or 15%...

Status
Please reply by conversation.