HR20: Lease or Purchase?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ahearst

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Count me as another longtime Dish subscriber adding a Directv subscription to get the NFL's Sunday Ticket. I'm getting the best deal package with an HD non record receiver with an install date set for next Tuesday, the 14th. Since I already lease a 622 from Dish to record HD programming, I thought I'd save $$ by going with the free hardware offer from Directv. Here's my question. If I were to purchase an Directv HD DVR from Best Buy, would that be a better alternative than to lease, and would my installer be willing to install it for the same fee instead of the other?

:welcome

Getting a receiver at Best Buy is not actually a purchase. Its just an up front lease fee so its the same as getting the unit directly from Directv. I would call Directv and negotiate a deal on making one of your units into the HR20. Might be a small upfront fee but they may discount it or throw in some free programming. I would get it all done before the installer comes out.

Count me as another longtime Dish subscriber adding a Directv subscription to get the NFL's Sunday Ticket. I'm getting the best deal package with an HD non record receiver with an install date set for next Tuesday, the 14th. Since I already lease a 622 from Dish to record HD programming, I thought I'd save $$ by going with the free hardware offer from Directv. Here's my question. If I were to purchase an Directv HD DVR from Best Buy, would that be a better alternative than to lease, and would my installer be willing to install it for the same fee instead of the other?

Your best bet is to see what kind of deal Directv will give you on the Hr-20. If you buy it from Best Buy or any other retailer it will still be under a lease program and not owned by you.

Might be able to swing it for $199 from D*, and damn, don't you hate taking advice from a monkey in a suit!:D And hey, welcome, feels like we are getting a whole bunch from the dark side!:p

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. After thinking it over last night I called Directv this morning and upgraded my hardware to the HR20 for $199.00. The transaction was easy enough, and I charged the fee to my credit card. And the rep I spoke to moved my installation date from early next week to this Thursday between 8 am-noon so I'm very pleased I'll get to see some preseason games right away. My wife is flying me to Las Vegas for my birthday the weekend of October 7th and since I'm a Carolina Panthers fan living in Texas, I didn't want to miss the game (if its not an open date). Now all I have to do is buy a second Slingbox for my 52" HD set and my world's complete. :) It'll be nice to be able to switch back and forth between Directv and Dish for a few months until I can decide which service to downgrade after the NFL season. In the meantime I'm one happy camper!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)