HR20 Orientation - Is Vertical Okay?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Leader

Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Owing to space considerations, I have my new HR20 standing on its end - so it's sitting vertical, rather than its usual horizontal position.
Nothing in any of the documentation says this will harm it. Anybody know if this is even an issue?
I've had no problems so far, but admittedly it's only been a couple of days.:confused:
Unfortunately, I just don't have the depth in my cabinet to have it in its normal stance. But, standing on its left-end, turned slightly at an angle, it fits nicely with all cords attached (the culprits in adding to the unit's overall depth). The unit is behind a door, being controlled by the remote in RF mode, so the fact that it looks strange standing on end is no big deal.

If you have any problems, they'll most likely be related to heat & ventilation. They run kind of hot and are designed to have heat escape through top. Turn it on its edge and the heat rises to a blocked panel.

Use the Menu -> Settings -> Antenna & Test page to get the unit's status. It will show the temp. Mine (horizontal) runs around 120F. If you go significantly hotter than that, then you run the risk of toasting it.

If you have any problems, they'll most likely be related to heat & ventilation. They run kind of hot and are designed to have heat escape through top. Turn it on its edge and the heat rises to a blocked panel.

Use the Menu -> Settings -> Antenna & Test page to get the unit's status. It will show the temp. Mine (horizontal) runs around 120F. If you go significantly hotter than that, then you run the risk of toasting it.

Good point jpn,
Mine usually runs between 120* and 127*
Provided he's not blocking the heat vents I don't see it being a problem.

What about the HD disk, is that a problem sitting in a different direction ?
Any of you computer guy's have any opinions on that ?

Jimbo

Good point jpn,
Mine usually runs between 120* and 127*
Provided he's not blocking the heat vents I don't see it being a problem.

What about the HD disk, is that a problem sitting in a different direction ?
Any of you computer guy's have any opinions on that ?

Jimbo

Modern drives don't have problems with orientation. The big problem with drives is getting bumped/dropped/suddenly-shocked.

You certainly shouldn't have any problem with the hard drives.

I have been running PC's in both the horizontal and vertical position since the mid eighties.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)