HR20 Questions from an HR10-250 User

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sgupta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Hey all,

So I just chanced a visit today after a long time to discover the HR20 is finally coming out. Now I have to decide whether I want to upgrade. I know it's a bit early, but I do have some questions for anyone with experience with these units, either beta testers or new users, so I can decide. I already briefly (though not thoroughly yet) looked over the online manual, but I had a few questions I haven't seen the answers to.

Here go the questions:

1.) This is just to make sure, but this is like the HR10 - it can record two SD OR two HD channels simultaneously; it doesn't matter which and you can mix and match, right? I'm pretty sure this is the case but want to make absolutely sure.

2.) This is an important feature for me - I like to have a buffer for ALL my programs. On my current unit, I set up the season passes for a 2 minute one at the beginning and end, and this works well. Does the HR20 do this for whole season passes (or even as a default option)?

3.) I bought the HR10 outright. There's no trade-in plan to get the HR20 cheaper than the close to $400, is there? (And yes, I know I have to get a different dish to use it, so I'll have to go through DirecTV since I know I can't do that myself.)

4.) Any known features the HR10 has which the HR20 lacks?

5.) Any known bugs? (I already know OTA doesn't yet work - I don't use any OTA, so that doesn't matter to me personally, but I'm sure it's frustrating to some).

6.) How does picture and sound quality compare to the HR10 - any differences there?

That's what I can think of at the moment. Thanks all!

One thing I was wondering about that I do not see mentioned anywhere is how the HR20 compares to the HR10 in terms of smoothness of the interface. My D*Tivos are pretty smooth, if a little slow sometimes during non-playback operations. The SA8000HD interface I have been testing is very fast, but not very smooth or responsive when fast forwarding, rewinding, pausing, etc. I wondered how the HR20 "feels" during playback operations.

Thanks,
Ted

Thanks for the link! I checked it out and I like what I see so far, but I'm going to wait at least a week or two before ordering just to see how people are liking it. I love my HR10 except for some issues the last year or so with system reboots and an occasional messup of a program because of it.

Good question - I'd like to see this answered as well. I've heard the interface is fast, but I haven't heard much about the "smoothness" as you said. Though the review pointed out seems to indicate the person testing it was fairly happy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts