HR20 Software Release Notes - 0xEF

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Despite all the gloom and doom postings (which started BEFORE the darned thing even came out) - the truth is I have had virtually no issues with either of my HR20's. Overall, very impressive I would say - and as stated, with every firmware update, it just keeps getting better.

Back when Cablevision first began offering its digital stuff - the Sony set-top boxes froze every hour it seemed. They had to be re-booted 15-20 times a day. This is all just part of the growing pains.

Despite all the gloom and doom postings (which started BEFORE the darned thing even came out) - the truth is I have had virtually no issues with either of my HR20's. Overall, very impressive I would say - and as stated, with every firmware update, it just keeps getting better.

Back when Cablevision first began offering its digital stuff - the Sony set-top boxes froze every hour it seemed. They had to be re-booted 15-20 times a day. This is all just part of the growing pains.

I'll trade you!! I have major lip sync and guide issues (Upcoming:Title Not Available) on a bunch of channels since EF loaded. Mine was great before EF.

Relax, you do realize that this unit is still new and D* is working diligently to fix problems as they show up. They release an update every couple of weeks and the unit is getting better as they go. The first several things you mentioned should be fixed by now.

Jimbo

No I'm not going to relax. I paid a lot of money to D* for my upgrade and am not happy with any of the service at all. My software has been upgraded and the problems still persist. Actually there are new problems i am experiencing now along with the old ones eveyone has mentioned. They should not release a product that has this many bugs to work out. My picture is horrible, I waited three appointments for D* to decided to show and to top it all off the equipment i ordered was not what they sent. (would have been nice of them to let me know they don't offer the HD Tivo boxes anymore.) but i guess they care about the bottom line and not customer retention. I live in an area that is getting fiber optics installed and believe me if D* doesn't straigthen out then they will lose a lot of customers for fiber optics video (which will blow any providers out of the water)

No I'm not going to relax. I paid a lot of money to D* for my upgrade and am not happy with any of the service at all. My software has been upgraded and the problems still persist. Actually there are new problems i am experiencing now along with the old ones eveyone has mentioned. They should not release a product that has this many bugs to work out. My picture is horrible, I waited three appointments for D* to decided to show and to top it all off the equipment i ordered was not what they sent. (would have been nice of them to let me know they don't offer the HD Tivo boxes anymore.) but i guess they care about the bottom line and not customer retention. I live in an area that is getting fiber optics installed and believe me if D* doesn't straigthen out then they will lose a lot of customers for fiber optics video (which will blow any providers out of the water)

Funny, but I see rare comments about picture quality relating to the DVR - I'm guessing its something else. I also don't think they will be losing a lot of customers anytime soon - they in fact are GAINING customers, many of whom (me included) think they do as good a job (if not BETTER) than the other providers.

Don't get me wrong, you pay good money and deserve to have your issues worked out, but if you look into the threads here on ALL the other providers you will see posts of peeps with issues of varying kinds. Bottom line, if there was ONE PROVIDER who had it ALL, who handled EVERYONE and EVERYTHING perfectly - wouldn't EVERYONE sub to them? Guess what - it DOES NOT EXIST.

Sounds like you don't need to relax. Just go to another service. I have had the HR-20 since late September and have had no problems. My Sony 55 inch HD picture normally looks great with the exception of what the network transmissons do on occassion with HD. I have been with DirecTV for nine years and have always been treated well. At the end of each contract period retention has always been very generous.

In any event you are in the very minority of customers and its unfortunate you are not satisified. That would be reason enough to leave. So don't relax just find something better out there.;)

Am I the only one, or is anyone else noticing that the PQ has gotten worse since this last update?

Maybe it's just me, but seems more blurry.

SO you paid much more than all of us ??? Why is that ? I bought mine the first week it was avalable....Have you bothered to talk to D* instead of just jump on people that are trying to help. If you read thru this thread you will find that MOST are pretty happy with thier units now, It IS possible that you got a bad one, have D* swap it out....

What make you so sure that the fiber optics is so great ? Just because it's new doesn't mean it's better, it may be, but we don't know that. Have you checked out the FIOS forums. I am sure there are alot of bugs and issues with them too.

IF you don't like the fact that we are the first to have this new technology then you should have waited to buy later when everything is perfect.
IF you go to FIBER do you honestly think they won't have growing pains too.

IF you ordered the TIVO and they gave you the HR20-700 WHY DID YOU SIGN FOR IT ????
They tried to give me a HR10-250 originally and I told them that I was not going to accept OLD technology and wanted what I ordered, it took nother couple days, but I got what I ordered.

Jimbo

the only issue ive noticed is caller id doesnt function all the time, eorks great for me but my neighbors are having problems with caller id

the only issue ive noticed is caller id doesnt function all the time, eorks great for me but my neighbors are having problems with caller id

Stone,
Have your neighbors call the local phone company and see if they will reset the caller ID feature, everything works with computers, so it's possible that a reset will work, or maybe something fell out of the code line they place thier info into.

Jimbo

Stone,
Have your neighbors call the local phone company and see if they will reset the caller ID feature, everything works with computers, so it's possible that a reset will work, or maybe something fell out of the code line they place thier info into.

Jimbo
i'll have them try it when im back home next week

ktk,
Have you found your glasses yet ?

Just kidding couldn't help it !!!

Jimbo

Funny, after looking into it, I found that my daughter had made some "Changes" to my TV!! She thought it looked better when she turned the "Sharpness" all the way down!!!

After setting it back, all is well, PQ is at least as good as it was!

Funny, after looking into it, I found that my daughter had made some "Changes" to my TV!! She thought it looked better when she turned the "Sharpness" all the way down!!!

After setting it back, all is well, PQ is at least as good as it was!

Well actually, Avia and Digital Video Essentials both recommend turning the sharpness down or off, that it's just a gimmick.

I've noticed that it depends not only on the particular tv you're using, but also how far back you sit. Up close, using the sharpness looks bad. Further back, not so much. It does seem to help SD stations, but not HD.

Postal is 110% correct; any "sharpness" adjustment more than 2% - 5% "on" on most quality displays simply ruins the picture; actually making it less natural, less sharp.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)