HR20 With No HD???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvrobert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
So I got an HR20 yesterday, hooked it all up, called to activate, etc...

None of the HD channels (except HD locals) show up. It says "not purchased." Yet I have a straight HD box where all is well.

103(b) shows no signal in the HR20, yet on the standard HD box, transponders are all in the upper 80s, low 90s.

The CSR in the Phillipines and the "next level of support" CSR in Oklahoma could do nothing to remedy the situation.

There's a tech coming out next Tuesday. WTF? Anyone else know of this issue?

Thanks for the insight and knowledge in advance.

So I got an HR20 yesterday, hooked it all up, called to activate, etc...

None of the HD channels (except HD locals) show up. It says "not purchased." Yet I have a straight HD box where all is well.

103(b) shows no signal in the HR20, yet on the standard HD box, transponders are all in the upper 80s, low 90s.

The CSR in the Phillipines and the "next level of support" CSR in Oklahoma could do nothing to remedy the situation.

There's a tech coming out next Tuesday. WTF? Anyone else know of this issue?

Thanks for the insight and knowledge in advance.

When you got the HR20, did you get the new 5 lnb dish as well ?
Your other box (standard) does not see the same sats, well some of them , but it doesn't see the 99 or 103, so if you do not have the 5 lnb set up they will put it up when the come out, then you will see signals on the 103(b), hopefully along with new HD Channels by then !

Jimbo

When you got the HR20, did you get the new 5 lnb dish as well ?
Your other box (standard) does not see the same sats, well some of them , but it doesn't see the 99 or 103, so if you do not have the 5 lnb set up they will put it up when the come out, then you will see signals on the 103(b), hopefully along with new HD Channels by then !

Jimbo

Thanks.

Yea, I got the 5 lnb dish already. And the other H20(?? not the DVR) HD receiver gets strong signals on all of 103(b)'s transponders.

The CSR said it was a problem with the impending roll-out of new HD channels. But it makes no sense, hence the dude coming out to fiddle with it on Tues.

Did you do the forced software download when you started it up?

Yes I did. I've done a dozen resets and gotten "hits" from the CSR and the HD channels dissapear off the guide, or when they return, there's a number of other errors when tuning to them "not available in area, not purchased, etc.."

I'm about to kick the thing back to the satellite and have the tech swap it out with a new one.

Junk!

I'm not impressed with D*'s HR20. Today a tech swapped the HR20 I got last week with a new one... twice. The first replacement didn't even boot. And the problem? A bad b-band converter. Why the hell would one bad converter on a dual-tuner box cause them both to not work?

I may be too ignorant of the technology inside to bitch appropriately. But I would like to think they would work the bugs out before shipping.

Ha HA Ha aha hahahahahaaaaa *cough*

Just kidding
It's junk.
Expensive junk.

Why did they swap the whole receiver for one bad bbc? Can't those be ordered separately?

Why did they swap the whole receiver for one bad bbc? Can't those be ordered separately?

It wasn't until the third one the problem was figured out. By then the tech was going to be late for his next gig.

So the first and third HR20 worked fine... the first in theory, of course. The techs get to wait too, while the thing boots, downloads, gets software, reboots, gets guide data, then reset 'cause the HD channels don't show, reboot, rinse, wash, repeat. Then it's two hours later. Wheeee!

A bad b-band converter. Why the hell would one bad converter on a dual-tuner box cause them both to not work?

You asked about the bad converter.
The answer is that the bad one was connected to Tuner # 1, had the bad one been on Tuner 2 it would have booted normally and you would have thought EVERYTHING was good to go., but when you decided to watch something other than you were recording, you would have experience problems with it, so it was actually a good thing that it happened this way.
Sounds like it was NOT the box itself, from what your saying , seeing a bband replacement solved the problem.

Take some time to get use to the new unit and you will like it, if you automatically decide you don't like it, it will take time.
Have you had an HD DVR's before, try the ones th Cable companies are using, you'll love this one....
IF your a previous TIVO owner, it WILL take some getting use to, as it does for all of them, but the majority come back and talk about how they like it AFTER they give it time to grow on them.

Patience, give it time to understand and you'll get the hang of it.

Jimbo

Take some time to get use to the new unit and you will like it, if you automatically decide you don't like it, it will take time.
Have you had an HD DVR's before, try the ones th Cable companies are using, you'll love this one....
IF your a previous TIVO owner, it WILL take some getting use to, as it does for all of them, but the majority come back and talk about how they like it AFTER they give it time to grow on them.

Patience, give it time to understand and you'll get the hang of it.

Jimbo

Thanks for your insight, knowledge, and general response. I have had a Mediacom-flavored Motorola 6412 in the past. That thing had more bugs than a bait store. We've since moved into the country, and satellite is the only TV option (I can hardly get off-air now thanks to a sizeable ridge between us and the Twin Cities).

I do like the HR20, I was just frustrated with the issues from the outset. I'm better now. :)

Thanks again.

Thanks for your insight, knowledge, and general response. I have had a Mediacom-flavored Motorola 6412 in the past. That thing had more bugs than a bait store. We've since moved into the country, and satellite is the only TV option (I can hardly get off-air now thanks to a sizeable ridge between us and the Twin Cities).

I do like the HR20, I was just frustrated with the issues from the outset. I'm better now. :)

Thanks again.

NP.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)