hr21-700 bit the dust

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghc37

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
My hd dvr/receiver has croaked. DTV is coming out to replace it this week. I have 2 yr contract with 5 mo left. I didn't take the warranty when I signed up. I know they will replace the unit for free because it's leased equipment (probably with a refurbished one) but will they charge me for a service call? How much? Any help would be much appreciated

It's been a long time since I paid for a service call but, If i remember correctly it's around $75.00.

Others with a more recent service call could probably answer better.

For what it's worth, I love the protection plan.

Question. If it just the box that is bad, why not just get them to ship it to you and hook it up yourself? Pretty easy to do.

I had one get taken out by lightning yesterday and they are sending me a new one. Should be here today or tomorrow.

I did have a service call done yesterday as well to replace my LNB. It was a local D* installer, and he charged $40 for the call. D* directly may charge more.

Directv is $79 for a service call.
When the tree crushed my Slimline at my tenants it cost me $79 for the service call, $99 for the slimline,and $50 for the 20 x4 feet of cabling.
My home owners has since paid me back , more then D* charged so that was nice.

Yea ,Now all I need is my Tivo fixed. Damn Hard drives
I don't get it, My Dell computer has the original Hardrive ,still going strong, since 2002, Why the hell are these Tivo hard drives such Junk? Computer is a lot harder on a hard drive then the a TV receiver. I Guess?

Yea, i think it is just the box

I think the problem is just the box because i get all of my channels, but none of the dvr functions work. I can't record, I can't watch old recordings, I can't pause, I can't rewind. But the problem is convincing them. They talk about software and resets and all that crap, I know the hard drive is bad just by the way it sounds, I've worked on enough computers to know what a crashed hd sounds like.

Did you make sure Directv didn't by accident shut off your DVR service?
Thats kind of what that sounds like. Most Times a bad hard drive, Nothing works right.

Are you getting any error messages? A bad drive usually gives an error. DVR service being turned off always gives an error.

hd error

I did get an hd error just once when I did a reset (out of many resets). other than that I get no errors.

Jason

So Jason, I can assume my dvr service has not been shut off since I don't have an error?

You can check your online account at Directv.com to confirm DVR service.
But if your getting Errors after reboot I'm sure the Hard drive is shot. I'm surprised that it even starts up.

Your DVR service is fine. By HD error you mean high def or hard drive.

If hard drive, call and tell them that, they should ship you a new box, no service call.

Hard Drive

I can hear the hard drive, what it sounds like it's doing is it spins up tries to read data then spins back down. It will do this several times. I never noticed that sound before I started having problems. You wouls think it would give an error more often but only once so far as I mentioned previously

Yep Call D* and see if they will just ship you another replacement. You'll have to pay shipping, if you don't have the potection plan, and they will send you a replacement with a 24 month commitment along with a box to ship your old one back.
24 month commitments are required upon any activation of a leased receiver, Unless you have the Protection Plan. Sorry!

Yep Call D* and see if they will just ship you another replacement. You'll have to pay shipping, if you don't have the potection plan, and they will send you a replacement with a 24 month commitment along with a box to ship your old one back.
24 month commitments are required upon any activation of a leased receiver, Unless you have the Protection Plan. Sorry!
Actually, the 24 month commitment may not be required in all cases. In mine, I was assured that it would have no effect on my contract. Asked several times, had it noted, and actually that info was given to me BEFORE I asked. I was under the impression that it would as well.
Now whether this happens or not, I will not know until I activate it. I will call and check shortly thereafter

Apon Activation is when the commitment starts.
Yeah, that is what I told the person I spoke to and was assured it would not in this case. Like I said, I guess I will just have to wait and see. We know how people can get told something and that be totally false

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)