HR21-700 won't play recorded shows

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghc37

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
My DVR has been driving me nuts lately. If I try to play any recorded show the screen just says "Do you want to delete this now?" I tried to delete some old movies and then I rebooted. The movies did not delete. I recorded some new stuff (i thought) and it does the same thing. It says I have plenty of space on hd, less than half full. I don't know what do try next. I am 1.5 yrs into my contract and I don't think I have a repair warranty. Any suggestions? Thanx

Which method did you use for the reboot?
There are three ways:
1) Using the restart from the menu
2) Red Button Reset
3) Power cycle

The final resort will be to do a Reset Everything.

I have done a red button reset and a power cycle. Also, I forgot to mention that it will not pause and rewind reliably. after a reset, pause and rewind will usually work for a while then it quits again. I called tech support and they said it's a software issue and they have seen this before. They said they would send an update to receiver in a day or two. I''m kinda doubtful that will fix all those problems

Last edited:
more symptoms

Well now the picture is just freezing up every once in a while for a couple of minutes then it starts working again. note: Satellite signal levels look good (mid 90's)

I'd next do the Reset Everything option. This will clear all settings and recordings. But, you have nothing else left to do. If that fails, then its time to replace the receiver.

Sounds like a hard drive failure; ask for a replacement. The refurb units should not restart your commitment but make sure they note that in your account notes for future reference and get the CSR's ID and note the date.

Reset everything

I'd next do the Reset Everything option. This will clear all settings and recordings. But, you have nothing else left to do. If that fails, then its time to replace the receiver.

I did the reset everything and it's been setting on step 1 of 2 "checking satellite settings for 30min, how long does reset everything normally take?

If the hard drive is failing, it may hang during setup like that. Resetting again may cause another hang-up elsewhere in setup. If that's your problem, you may not ever get back to watching Tv again.

Do you have the eSATA connector in back of your DVR? If so, the hard drive could be replaced externally but if you don't have a spare SATA drive lying around, I would consider calling DirecTv.

Before spending any money, I would consider calling DirecTv and let them know you want to know your options w/o extending contract. I called DirecTv and they suggest calling Tech Support and T/S. As far as replacement with refurb or cancelling committment goes, they say, each account is different. If you don't like that result try calling retention at this link: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...tion-phone-number-may-2009-a.html#post1887626

Last edited:
I did the reset everything and it's been setting on step 1 of 2 "checking satellite settings for 30min, how long does reset everything normally take?
I have never done the reset everything on the DirecTV DVR (I'm sure others have), but on a DirecTV TiVo it can take several hours.

The problem you are having with the DVR is often a sign of low signals from some of the satellites. If you have low signals from the 101 satellite the receiver won't be able to complete setup because the data is coming from 101. Do you have any other receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)