HR21-ALL CE Release 2/29 & 3/1 0x020*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Systems in this CE / Version
HR21-700 0x0202
HR21-200 0x0203
HR21-100 0x020D

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST! CE DOWNLOAD WARNINGS / AGREEMENT

PLEASE READ THIS SECOND! CE DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS

If you have any issues with this CE release, please post them in this thread. We'll try to help, and DirecTV will see / be aware of your issue :)

-----------------

CHANGES FROM THIS RELEASE:

• 02 - System boot up improvement
  • 02 - Video output improvement
  • 02 - Stability

CHANGES FROM PREVIOUS RELEASES:

• 01 - System Stability

Last edited:
Is it just me or does it seem less stable than the last one? I seem to have more "clunkiness" when changing channels, and there's also a weird hesitaton in the change of the channel information in the banner.

I should also mention that I have the HR21-200 DVR.

Last edited:
Upgraded two units. One from 0x16c the other from 0x168. Prior to the update both had stopped allowing VOD viewing - of already downloaded shows and attempts to retrieve new shows. They would "authorize" content and then offer to delete it. Attempts to download new shows would result in a message that a channel was not authorized - do you want to subscribe - even though it was subscribed.

The good news is 0x202 fixed this. I can view already downloaded shows and now successfully add shows to the queue.

It also seems the menus are a bit zippier in the VOD area. Both downloads completed and rebooted with no issues.

Last edited:
Any idea what Video output improvement is? A little more detail in the notes could help us test better.

Ok, at this point I've had some more time to play with this and I would seriously recommend that anyone with an HR21-200 DVR with last weeks CE DO NOT download this one. The previous weeks CE was significantly more stable.

Channel changing is painfully slow and glitchy. I also get a lot of hesitation just trying to scroll down through the guide.

While watching a Starz "On Demand" movie every once in a while a green digital artifact like splotch would appear. Not enough to be too annoying, but it was definately not present in the last CE.

Also, this is not directly related to the CE, but I am finding that many On Demand programs are a little too "soft" as far as picture quality goes. Possibly a little too much compression?? I have a 42" plasma HD, and I am certainly not expecting stellar quality for SD content, but it is more dissapointing than my former Comcast On Demand PQ.

Overall though, Directv is doing a pretty good job with On Demand. A few more tweaks and I feel it's going to be a very viable service. With my Cox fed Internet, all I need is a few minutes of downloading before I'm able to play a movie all the way through without an interruption.

Now back to this CE. If the NR had On Demand active, I would switch to it in a heartbeat.

I have an HR21-700 DVR and downloaded release Friday night and so far I'm having no problems with this release. A lot more stable than last weeks. I guess the only minor thing this that I get a slight hesitation when scrolling through the guide, but not a lot. Will keep testing to look for other things.

What are your video settings? So far I can't tell any differences in the past two CE releases compared to the NR.

I finally discovered you can press and hold the remote button down to scroll channels. I'm not sure if this is new in this CE but there is a excessively long delay before scrolling occurs. Even then it's a bit of a random scroll.

What are your video settings? So far I can't tell any differences in the past two CE releases compared to the NR.

I finally discovered you can press and hold the remote button down to scroll channels. I'm not sure if this is new in this CE but there is a excessively long delay before scrolling occurs. Even then it's a bit of a random scroll.

1080i res + stretch format.

Hr700 download last night. A lot slower changing channels. I get a lot of hesitation and I agree with the guy who said it seems clunky. :(

I still haven't noticed that myself yet but we sure don't need the guide any slower than it is or was.

I have been getting some periodic sound drops. It was happening quite regularly on HDNet Movies. I don't know if it is related to just this firmware but I've seen that on some channels on just about every firmware version.

more sound issues

I'm having similar sound drop issues....usually while replaying after a pause but have also had it happen when I hit guide....hit exit and sound came back....repeated each time I hit guide until I changed channel. wacky. guide is also sluggish.

edit: turns out the sound drops randomly without touching anything.....with the sound drop is almost a slight fast-forwarding of the show.

Last edited:
I had a total sound drop this AM on live TV. It was on all channels and didn't come back until I did a hard reset. I'm configured for DD audio.

I had an issue today, don't know if it's due to the last CE0402. My page up and pagedown button will not change channels. I'm using the remote in RF mode and it didn't make any difference when I went to IR mode. What's funny is that if I'm testing, for example, network connections, I can use the page up and down to scroll through the test results. I tried another remote from my H20 and it also does not work on the HR21-700. I also tried changing channels on the front panel control and that also did not work. It was fine this morning and about 2 PM PST it went bad. I reset it twice with no change. Finally I called Direct and they're sending me a replacement receiver.

It turned out to be that my favorites channel list I created was some how corrupted. I lost all my favorite channels I added and only one channel was on the list. Therefore, when I did up or down channel it had no where to go! I switched to "all subscribed" and the up down channel worked as it should. Makes me wonder if my hard drive might be going bad since I lost my "HD Favs" list. Will monitor and try to recreate my original list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)