media sharing wired vs wireless

michaelbudney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Has anyone had experience accessing media servers both on wireless and wired? I'm wondering if issues with slow retrieval and HR21 response could perhaps be related to the 802.11g wireless network.

Michael - sorry I don't know a whole lot about media share, I don't use it myself.

In my experience wireless is pretty stable unless there is something else interfering with that channel. Unless you're having problems with other things, it should not be that. You are using an access point hooked to the ethernet port, right?

You could try giving the HR21 a static IP instead of using DHCP, not sure if that may help?

Of course, you could always run a wire to it temporarily and see if the problem continues.

I've got my signal tuned about as well as I can get it. It's has a signal strength of -49 dB and gets about 20 Mbps throughput.

I'll run a line over and see if there is a difference. I know the Media Center Extender on my xbox does not play well with wireless.

I had some problems with media share and my HR21 in the bedroom. I was able to move the wireless bridge around to find a "hot spot" and music was playing fine, but when video was enabled, everything would be very choppy (it would play for a few seconds and then pause for a few seconds). I replaced the wireless with a pair of powerline ethernet devices from Directv (which are HomePlug 1.0 Turbo, 85 Mbps) and performance is much better. The adapters from Directv are less expensive than any others I could find ($35 each, including shipping). Running a CAT5 cable wasn't practical for me.

I am running wireless My router is a LINKSYS Wireless G Broadband Router WRT54G to a LINKSYS Dual band Wireless N Gaming Adapter WGA600 N.. It works great for VOD.. I can not download the ViiV program for Intel ( I hate these Guys).. I have a AMD chip in my computer. SO I can not use Media Sharing.

You don't need ViiV at all. Pretend that does not even exist. I'm not sure why D* advertises for Intel so much. Perhaps Intel funded the MediaShare development??

Use Windows Media Connect or another UPnP server. If you have a MCE PC it should work out of the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)