HR21 no dolby on Phillips Mx-3910d

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Grimacexl

Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Hi, I have an HR21 outputting HDMI to my tv and coaxial going to my Phillips Mx-3910d surround sound system which is capable of decoding dolby digital and DTS.

However it doesn't seem to synch or decode what is comming out of the hr21. I have sound on all channels if i have dolby set to off, but im just doing pro logic, which sucks.

When the dolby is on, hd programming that is set to output in DD will result in no sound. I've forced update to see if that would fix it, but i already had the latest sw. So no avail.

I've tried different cables, as well as using optical (the mx3910 doesnt have optical in so i had to use a toslink converter).

I've not been able to test it on another surround kit yet since i dont have access to another. SO... hopefully somone can give me a hint as to what the issue is. Thanks in advance. -GrimaceXL

What channels and programs? It sounds like the way your A/V processes the incoming digital signal is bad or not setup correctly. Are you digital input assignable per port and / or by device? Mine are on my Yamaha and Onkyo units.and needed to be "told" what to listen for and where.

Also, note that not all program and / or channels contain DD; but it should at least fall back and still out some stereo. (so I do not think this is your issue)

I see this common user guide entry in all three of that model:

Connect the DVD system’s DIGITAL IN jack
to the DIGITAL OUT jack on a digital audio
device.

Before starting operation, press AUX/DI on
the remote to select “DIG IN” in order to
activate the input source.

So although not truly assignable the one digital input is defaulted to OFF from the factory. And if I am looking at the correct user guides, not 100% sure if that digital input will marry to the video device as opposed to being its own separate audio only device input such as for a CD or DAT.

Thanks

I'd like to try to knock down all those questions at once by stating this, i have the coax going from the digital out on the hr-21 to the coax in (not the out) on the mx3910d. and i know that DD works on this receiver in it's current setup because i use a toslinc converter on my ps3 going from optical on the ps3 to the coax in (swapping out the coax from the hr-21) and it processes the dolby correcly in this scenario. also you mentioned that that not all channels are in 5.1 which is correct, and when dolby is on, on the hr-21, all I can hear are SD channels, since NTSC streams can only support up to 2ch prologic.

To help you better heres a link the correct model's user guide http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/m/mx3910d_37/mx3910d_37_dfu_aen.pdf . also the reciever auto format detects dolby, and doesnt need to be told what it is getting, it just needs to be set to "dig in" because when i go from stereo to DD o n my ps3, it works fine and the rear channels are working and not cloning the stero data from the fronts. also when dd is on on the hr21 the mx3910d makes almost no sound sometimes it clicks but this could just be analog noise being misinterpreted as digital info.

I'd also like to thank you for all of your concern, not only are you trying to help me, but you've got to the legnths to get the pdf manual from phillips' website and read the crap out of it. What i think it is is a problem in the format that the hr21 outputs, but hopefully im wrong because that would mean im screwed. Thanks again. -Grimacexl

Last edited:
Interesting as I have both the 20 & 21 series that work just fine via any of the DD passing outputs I use. So kind of at a loss.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)