HR21 restart issues when turning receiver on !!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

souelle1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
My HR21 is restarting all the time, it started a month ago and was once a week for 2 weeks, then last week it happened probably 4 times during the week, yesterday it happened twice, today it happened 3 times this is crazy!

This only happens when I turn my receiver/tv on. Today I turned the tv on this morning watched tv for a while then turned it off went to the store came back turned the tv on it did it again watched tv for a while then turned the TV off went outside to rake leaves came back in turned tv on and it happend again!!

I have an HR20 in the bedroom and there is no problem.

Anyone else having this problem? Thanks

My HR21 is restarting all the time, it started a month ago and was once a week for 2 weeks, then last week it happened probably 4 times during the week, yesterday it happened twice, today it happened 3 times this is crazy!

This only happens when I turn my receiver/tv on. Today I turned the tv on this morning watched tv for a while then turned it off went to the store came back turned the tv on it did it again watched tv for a while then turned the TV off went outside to rake leaves came back in turned tv on and it happend again!!

No problem here.
Have you called D* yet ?
Also, does it do it if you just leave the HR21 ON ?

Jimbo

I have the exact same problem with an HR-22. Previously had an H-20 non DVR. It worked fine with my Samsung DLP TV and Onkyo Receiver. Then I upgraded to a HR-22. This was on 10-15. From Day 1 I have the same problem. When you turn everything on sometimes the receiver Re-boots. After 5 days D* brought out a new receiver. (Same HR-22). Same problem. I have tried everything to isolate the problem. I plugged the DVR into a different electric circuit, tried turning everything on manually without the remote, but no luck. I think it may be some conflict between the units. What brand of TV and Audio system is it hooked up to???

No problem here.
Have you called D* yet ?
Also, does it do it if you just leave the HR21 ON ?

Jimbo

I don't leave the receiver on, I hit the off button on my remote and everything turns off, I haven't called D* yet and like I said I do the exact same thing in my bedroom and I don't have any problems.

Very odd and very annoying I have to wait 10min once I turn my tv on to watch tv.

I don't leave the receiver on, I hit the off button on my remote and everything turns off, I haven't called D* yet and like I said I do the exact same thing in my bedroom and I don't have any problems.

Very odd and very annoying I have to wait 10min once I turn my tv on to watch tv.

I know this isn't a fix, but what happens if you just leave the DVR ON, once it reboots the first time it should be good until D* can get you a new one.

The DVR is ALWAYS on regardless of you turning the button off, just turns the lights off, it's on because it is always buffering in case you want to back something up when you turn it on.
Call D* and have them send you a new one.
The fact that the other one does not do that, just points out that the one may be defective. If you want to verify that, try swapping units and see what happens, then you would know for sure.

I know this isn't a fix, but what happens if you just leave the DVR ON, once it reboots the first time it should be good until D* can get you a new one.

The DVR is ALWAYS on regardless of you turning the button off, just turns the lights off, it's on because it is always buffering in case you want to back something up when you turn it on.
Call D* and have them send you a new one.
The fact that the other one does not do that, just points out that the one may be defective. If you want to verify that, try swapping units and see what happens, then you would know for sure.

I swaped the hr-22 with a h-21 non dvr that I had in another room. Now the problem is gone in both rooms. The Hr-22 works fine in the other room and the H-21 works where the HR-22 was. I guess this means its either an installation issue with the DVR or some type of conflict.

I swaped the hr-22 with a h-21 non dvr that I had in another room. Now the problem is gone in both rooms. The Hr-22 works fine in the other room and the H-21 works where the HR-22 was. I guess this means its either an installation issue with the DVR or some type of conflict.

Hmmmm,
Thats interesting.

Wonder if it comes back or is gone for good, at least it's not happening now. Let us know if it comes back, this is interesting.

Hmmmm,
Thats interesting.

Wonder if it comes back or is gone for good, at least it's not happening now. Let us know if it comes back, this is interesting.

The only problem is I dont want a DVR in my office, I want it in my family room. I tried everything I could think of when the DVR was in the family room. I tried the following:
1-turned on the DVR, TV and Receive manually, not using the remote.
2-Plugged the DVR into a different electric circuit than the other units
3-Tried changing the order in which I turned on the units.
4-disconnected the AM-21, and the internet connection
5-Hooked up the Dvr directly to the TV and bypassed the HDMI pass through on the receiver.
6-Ready to give up.

I now believe their is some type of conflict. I don't understand why as my H-20, and now a H-21 both work their without any problem.

Even if I leave the HR-22 on the problem exists. It seems once you hit the button to turn on the TV or the Receiver the Dvr starts the re-boot process. This doesn't happen every time, I would say 3 out of 5 times.

Do you think maybe switching to componet instead of HDMI would make any difference???

It seems once you hit the button to turn on the TV or the Receiver the Dvr starts the re-boot process. This doesn't happen every time, I would say 3 out of 5 times.

I have had this problem for months now. I hit the on button which should power on the TV and the DVR, and every other time or so, the DVR does a full reboot. I have moved the tv and dvr off the same power strip etc. No real change. I have gone as long as a week without it happening. Right now I am trying to power on the tv, wait, then power on the dvr. Makes no difference.

WHY DON'T WE TRY TO GET SOME MORE INFO FROM EVERYONE INVOLVED. WHAT TYPE OF TV AND AUDIO RECEIVER ARE YOU USING. MY SETUP IS A SAMSUNG 56 DLP TV, A ONKYO RECEIVER, ALL HOOKED UP THROUGH A N AMERICAN POWER SMART UPS. tHIS CAN BE HELPFUL TO SEE IF THEIR IS ANY PATTERN TO THIS

The only problem is I dont want a DVR in my office, I want it in my family room. I tried everything I could think of when the DVR was in the family room. I tried the following:
1-turned on the DVR, TV and Receive manually, not using the remote.
2-Plugged the DVR into a different electric circuit than the other units
3-Tried changing the order in which I turned on the units.
4-disconnected the AM-21, and the internet connection
5-Hooked up the Dvr directly to the TV and bypassed the HDMI pass through on the receiver.
6-Ready to give up.

I now believe their is some type of conflict. I don't understand why as my H-20, and now a H-21 both work their without any problem.

Even if I leave the HR-22 on the problem exists. It seems once you hit the button to turn on the TV or the Receiver the Dvr starts the re-boot process. This doesn't happen every time, I would say 3 out of 5 times.

Do you think maybe switching to componet instead of HDMI would make any difference???

I doubt that swapping to Component would change anything, I would call D* and have it replaced.

same problem. DRIVING US CRAZY. We want our DirecTiVo back. This only happens to the living room HR22, not the other HR22. Turning the receiver on or off doesn't seem to be the issue for me though. For me, its the TV. A Sony 55" rear projection HDTV (KDF-55WF655). I've programmed the remote to leave the HR22 on all the time and tried having the HR22 go on and off. I'm doing this with a Harmony 550. I keep thinking the Harmony is throwing our some remote code. I have no idea.

Ive had incidents where there was a conflict with some tv's using HDMI. Try to use a composite set and see what happens.

Ive had incidents where there was a conflict with some tv's using HDMI. Try to use a composite set and see what happens.

I have definitely heard of HDMI/DVI conflicts with DTV/Dish/Cable receivers & you can read about many of the issues by Googling "HDMI Conflicts" & "HDMI DirecTV conflicts".

A summary of suggested solutions included:

Switch to component cables.

Upgrade your TV's firmware (Samsung had the most problems & offered the most upgrades)

Avoid using (or at least try not using) A/V Home Theatre HDMI pass-through to TV.

Turn Native Resolution to off & select only one resolution to be used

Try forcing a CE download to your HX22 when ones available.

My favorite which most people reported worked the best (or most often); if your DTV receiver is a HR22-100 & you call DTV to replace it, request a different sub number (i.e. HR22-600). I'm not familiar with the actual manufacturer sub numbers of the H22 series so I'm just using those two as an example.

Thanks. Some more info though. I am already using component, not HDMI. Off the top of my head I don't remember this happening before I connected it via ethernet to our network, but again, what would the TV OR the network have to do with this thing rebooting when turning on the TV? Very weird and not consistent.

I am considering forcing CE downloads.

Ive heard of alot of problems when connected to a network. Try unplugging the network.

I have definitely heard of HDMI/DVI conflicts with DTV/Dish/Cable receivers & you can read about many of the issues by Googling "HDMI Conflicts" & "HDMI DirecTV conflicts".

A summary of suggested solutions included:

Switch to component cables.

Upgrade your TV's firmware (Samsung had the most problems & offered the most upgrades)

Avoid using (or at least try not using) A/V Home Theatre HDMI pass-through to TV.

Turn Native Resolution to off & select only one resolution to be used

Try forcing a CE download to your HX22 when ones available.

My favorite which most people reported worked the best (or most often); if your DTV receiver is a HR22-100 & you call DTV to replace it, request a different sub number (i.e. HR22-600). I'm not familiar with the actual manufacturer sub numbers of the H22 series so I'm just using those two as an example.

Still having the same problems but isolated it a little. It is not a problem with signals from the remote as it happens even if I turn everything on manually. Its not the HR-22 as I am on my second one and borrowed a 3rd from a friend today and the problem happened on his also installed in my house. I think it has something to do with the Samsung TV. If I turn on the Hr-22 first and then hit the power button for the TV the DVR reboots sometimes. this problem never existed before I got the Hr-22. I had a H-20, and then an H-21 and never had a problem.

HOW DO YOU UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE ON THE SAMSUNG TV?????????????

HOW DO YOU UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE ON THE SAMSUNG TV?????????????

Give me your exact model number Samsung TV & I'll see what I can dig up for you. From what I read in the past, the resolution handshake only created problems with HDMI/DVI but this could be incorrect if you're experiencing the same problems using Component. The Firmware upgrades had different procedures depending on the unit; USB or various media ports being the primary medium.

Give me your exact model number Samsung TV & I'll see what I can dig up for you. From what I read in the past, the resolution handshake only created problems with HDMI/DVI but this could be incorrect if you're experiencing the same problems using Component. The Firmware upgrades had different procedures depending on the unit; USB or various media ports being the primary medium.

I am using hdmi. Had D come back down yesterday. They sent a lead tech who told me D was giving his company a hard time because of so many calls and no resolution. He was very knowledgeable and arrived before 8 AM. We tried a 3rd HR-22 and had the same problem. Obviously its not the DVR but something else. He checked the ground to be sure it was secure. As I mentioned earlier I have tried different electric circuits with no help. He believes their is a problem with the Samsung TV and I may agree. Many times when the TV is turned on that is when the DVR reboots. The TV model is an HLR 5677w. He suggested putting a different TV from another room in this location and see if it reboots. If it does their is some type of problem in that room. If it doesn't he believes their is something wrong with the TV. We will see what happens when I try this this weekend

Have you been able to find out any info for me on this TV. Samsung HLR 5677W I have determined that the reboot issue has something to do with the TV. When the tv is turned on the HR-22 reboots most of the time. I put another Tv in its place with the same hook up and no re-boots. What can be causing the Tv to cause the HR-22 to reboot??? Some type of feedback or what?? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)