HR21 restart issues when turning receiver on !!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry DT, took longer than I thought as that TV was a little older than I expected. At this time, there is no way you could upgrade your firmware like newer TV's. This unit doesn't accept firmware upgrades like the newer TV's & would need to be dismantled to upgrade.

Robert N:[SIZE=+0] Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?[/SIZE]
John: Robert, Is there an upgraded firmware available for the HL-R5677W DLP TV?
Robert N:[SIZE=+0] I will provide you the information.[/SIZE]
Robert N:[SIZE=+0] Would you mind holding a few minutes while I gather the required information on your request?[/SIZE]
John: Many are having trouble with this unit connected to DirecTV via HDMI
John: Certainly, TY
Robert N:[SIZE=+0] Thanks for holding.[/SIZE]
Robert N:[SIZE=+0] Isee there is no firmware upgrade available for your TV.[/SIZE]
John: Nothing available for this model?
Robert N:[SIZE=+0] Yes, you are correct, there is no firmware for this TV as of now.[/SIZE]
Robert N:[SIZE=+0] If there is any, it will be posted on website.[/SIZE]

I have had this same issue since I started service last May. I havent bothered swapping boxes since they are both HR-21s.

It occurs least often if I turn the DVR on, wait 10 seconds, then turn on the TV.

I have swapped HDMI cables, Removed the eternal OTA tuner, swapped to CE software, stood on one leg while turning on the tv, etc. no fix I have found yet. I have a sony lcd tv that is about 4 years old.

I have noticed that the reboot occurs right as the TV clicks the screen on. I have always assumed it has to do with the HDMI, but havent found a work around. Its only really anooying if something was being recorded. If so, then you lose the 6-10 minutes for the reboot, as well as about 10 minutes before that not playing of the recording.

So, its not samsung specific it seems. I can try any other suggestions people have as well. I just havent called it in to D* because it hasnt iritated me to that point yet.

over heating due to a blocked cooling fan, or malfunctioning one will make it reset..... a problem with the hard drive will also do it.... in addition to everything else

Their is nothing wrong with the power connection as I have hooked up the various components to different electrical circuits. An electrician has checked the lines and the ground. I am wondering if maybe their is some type of feedback thru the Hdmi cable when the TV turns on. The unit will not reboot once it is on, only at start up. I am going to try and pull the Hdmi cable out of the DVR before turning on the TV to see if that is it. As I mentioned previously I now have a 32 LCD Tv sitting in front of the 56 DLP Samsung. In the last 5 days the 32 has not rebooted on start up with the same setup as the 56 had.

99% of the time this is an HDMI problem. The TV is sending the receiver a signal it is not expecting. Newer versions of HDMI such as the one your TV supports are supposed to be compatible with older versions but often they are not, because the TV manufacturer has made an error in interpreting the HDMI spec. The HDMI specification group has issued a number of tech notes to TV and a/v receiver manufacturers pointing out that older versions of HDMI do not support some of the newer HDMI signals. If you send one of these signals to satellite/cable boxes, the results are unpredictable - some models will ignore the signal, some will reset because they get into a screwed-up state.
The problem with some Sony TVs even using component cables has been posted a number of times. Because component is only a one-way system it can't be caused by the TV sending an incorrect signal to the DirecTV box. So the Sony/component problem almost certainly has to be electrical in some way, possibly due to a power surge or noise created by the TV when it switches on, or to an obscure grounding issue having the same effect. You certainly need to make sure your system is correctly grounded, and a couple of people reported that running the DVR from a UPS seemed to solve the problem, although there's not enough evidence to show that this would be a solution for everyone.

99% of the time this is an HDMI problem. The TV is sending the receiver a signal it is not expecting. Newer versions of HDMI such as the one your TV supports are supposed to be compatible with older versions but often they are not, because the TV manufacturer has made an error in interpreting the HDMI spec. The HDMI specification group has issued a number of tech notes to TV and a/v receiver manufacturers pointing out that older versions of HDMI do not support some of the newer HDMI signals. If you send one of these signals to satellite/cable boxes, the results are unpredictable - some models will ignore the signal, some will reset because they get into a screwed-up state.
The problem with some Sony TVs even using component cables has been posted a number of times. Because component is only a one-way system it can't be caused by the TV sending an incorrect signal to the DirecTV box. So the Sony/component problem almost certainly has to be electrical in some way, possibly due to a power surge or noise created by the TV when it switches on, or to an obscure grounding issue having the same effect. You certainly need to make sure your system is correctly grounded, and a couple of people reported that running the DVR from a UPS seemed to solve the problem, although there's not enough evidence to show that this would be a solution for everyone.

My setup is run through a APC Smart ups. I did a test today to try an isolate the problem. I unplugged the HDMI cable from the DVR and then turned on the TV. The DTV does not reboot when this is done. I am going to try Component cable next.

I had an HR20-700 replaced a week ago with an HR22-100. I started having restart issues the next day and every day since. I have a Sony 60" rear projection. I have tried every combination of turning on and off with no success. It does seem like it's related to the TV. I left the receiver on all night and in the morning when the TV was turned on it went right into a restart. I contacted Directv and my problem and was escalated to another level. I'll post any updates.

As you can see by my posts to this thread I was about to give up. I finally got a chance to hook up with Component cable instead of HDMI. Guess what? Problem solved. It has been 4 days now and no reboots when turning on. Picture looks just as good to me as HDMI, but many more cables running around. If any of you are having this exact same issue as I was I would try the Component cables instead of HDMI

As you can see by my posts to this thread I was about to give up. I finally got a chance to hook up with Component cable instead of HDMI. Guess what? Problem solved. It has been 4 days now and no reboots when turning on. Picture looks just as good to me as HDMI, but many more cables running around. If any of you are having this exact same issue as I was I would try the Component cables instead of HDMI
Yes, if you are using HDMI with a Sony TV and are having this problem, switching to component will almost always solve the problem. The picture quality should be just as good using component video cables as it is with HDMI.

Yes, if you are using HDMI with a Sony TV and are having this problem, switching to component will almost always solve the problem. The picture quality should be just as good using component video cables as it is with HDMI.

It's not a Sony but a Samsung 56 DLP

I had an HR20-700 replaced a week ago with an HR22-100. I started having restart issues the next day and every day since. I have a Sony 60" rear projection. I have tried every combination of turning on and off with no success. It does seem like it's related to the TV. I left the receiver on all night and in the morning when the TV was turned on it went right into a restart. I contacted Directv and my problem and was escalated to another level. I'll post any updates.

I have a 60inch sony rptv as well and I have been plagued by this problem for months. I know it sounds crazy but I made changes to power a few times and problem seems to have gone away mostly. First I plugged the HR-21 into the wall by itself and it got a little better. Then I switched out power strips and I have only had 1 restart in 2 weeks I believe. Previously it was just about every day. It was especially bad because at times I would sleep in the living room and just keep the HR-21 and soundbar on and listen to the tv, come morning and turn on tv, reboot instantly. For now it seems much much better. Moving to componant would probably solve it once and for all but I have a lot of things connected already and not all are hdmi and able to be switched around.

It's not a Sony but a Samsung 56 DLP

With the Samsung it always solves the problem as far as I know. I mentioned Sony specifically because, as I posted, some Sony TVs (but no other brand as far as I know) screw up the receiver even when the HDMI is not connected, indicating some type of electrical problem.
EDIT: looks like basshive has that particular issue. If so, moving to component would not necessarily solve it.

With the Samsung it always solves the problem as far as I know. I mentioned Sony specifically because, as I posted, some Sony TVs (but no other brand as far as I know) screw up the receiver even when the HDMI is not connected, indicating some type of electrical problem.
EDIT: looks like basshive has that particular issue. If so, moving to component would not necessarily solve it.

UPDATE

If you have read all of this thread you have seen my issues and what has been done to try and correct it. Spoke to an upper level person at D last week. Told them I wanted a HR23-700, as the last tech suggested because it is made by another company., has a different computer chip and maybe the tolerance would be different. They sent it a few days ago. I hooked it up with HDMI and it works fine. Three different HR22-100's would not. Thanks to all they guys here that made suggestions and this one finally worked.

UPDATE

If you have read all of this thread you have seen my issues and what has been done to try and correct it. Spoke to an upper level person at D last week. Told them I wanted a HR23-700, as the last tech suggested because it is made by another company., has a different computer chip and maybe the tolerance would be different. They sent it a few days ago. I hooked it up with HDMI and it works fine. Three different HR22-100's would not. Thanks to all they guys here that made suggestions and this one finally worked.
I was sent a replacement HR22-100 on Saturday and it worked for two days. On the third day it restarts every time now. I'm in contact with someone at upper level and I will make the same request for a HR23-700. DTRJ...How many days have you had the HR23-700?

I was sent a replacement HR22-100 on Saturday and it worked for two days. On the third day it restarts every time now. I'm in contact with someone at upper level and I will make the same request for a HR23-700. DTRJ...How many days have you had the HR23-700?

IT HAS BEEN HOOKED UP ABOUT 3-4 DAYS. I DONT KNOW IF YOUR PROBLEM IS THE SAME, MINE ONLY REBOOTED ON START UP AND ABOUT 75%OF THE TIME. READ THE ENTIRE THREAD TO MAKE SURE ITS THE SAME PROBLEM

IT HAS BEEN HOOKED UP ABOUT 3-4 DAYS. I DONT KNOW IF YOUR PROBLEM IS THE SAME, MINE ONLY REBOOTED ON START UP AND ABOUT 75%OF THE TIME. READ THE ENTIRE THREAD TO MAKE SURE ITS THE SAME PROBLEM
Mine also restarts when I turn it, or the TV on, no other time. I know it's caused by my TV or an HDMI issue because if I leave the DVR on and turn on the TV it goes right into a restart. I'd like to know in a few more days if you are still problem free.

Mine also restarts when I turn it, or the TV on, no other time. I know it's caused by my TV or an HDMI issue because if I leave the DVR on and turn on the TV it goes right into a restart. I'd like to know in a few more days if you are still problem free.

TRY HOOKING IT UP WITH COMPONENT. THAT WORKED FOR ME BUT I REALLY WANTED IT HDMI TO MAKE EVERYTHING SIMPLE. MINE ONLY SEEMED TO RESTART WHEN THE TV WAS TURNED ON. DIDNT MATTER IF THE DVR WAS ON OR OFF BECAUSE IT IS ALWAYS ON ANYWAY. I HAVE STARTED THE HR23 AT LEAST 15-20 TIMES SO FAR WITH NO ISSUES

TRY HOOKING IT UP WITH COMPONENT. THAT WORKED FOR ME BUT I REALLY WANTED IT HDMI TO MAKE EVERYTHING SIMPLE. MINE ONLY SEEMED TO RESTART WHEN THE TV WAS TURNED ON. DIDNT MATTER IF THE DVR WAS ON OR OFF BECAUSE IT IS ALWAYS ON ANYWAY. I HAVE STARTED THE HR23 AT LEAST 15-20 TIMES SO FAR WITH NO ISSUES
MY HR22-100 was replaced with an HR23-700. It's been working five days now without a problem.:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.