HR21 To Get OTA Tuner

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There is a DMA setup. you put your Primary and ( if you want) secondary zipcode in there and it D/L's info from them about what channels you SHOULD see. Never mind if you are in three different areas that you can get your OTA from, you'll take what they give and LIKE it. :)

The Hr10-250 was simple. Hit scan, and whatever signals your antenna got, you had. And it was smart enough to go get the guide data for you for the channels it scanned, too.

But, But,But..the HR20 is an UPGRADE! Gimme a break. :mad:

Yep one area not so far from here with the right antenna rig you can receive channels from 3 markets but the HR20 limits you to two. Not to mention some of the subchannels are missing.

It seems DirecTV took one step forward with the HR20 but took one huge step back. It has dual OTA tuners but you can't scan with them!

When I thought that was one of the craziest things, then they come out with the HR21. Now that takes the cake!

Since they're offering an add-on OTA tuner for the HR21, then it's only a matter of time (probably short) before they introduce a true successor to the HR20.

I wonder if that is really the case, considering the expense D* incurred launchng the new satellites for HD - R&D for an HR20 replacement is pricy, and may not be a top priority for D* right now. Also, it took quite a while to get the bugs out of the HR20; would D* risk replacing the HR2* with a new unit that would likely have lots of initial problems? With all the new HD DVR subscribers, reliability becomes a big concern. As early adopters, we have put up with problematic receivers - for mainstream America, they just want the thing to work properly all the time.

If a HR series successor is in the works it will have to be well-tested and be able to be manufactured more cheaply than the current unit. I don't know if that's going to happen any time soon...

I thought the HR21 was a commercial box?

most folks wouldn't want to install another antenna on the roof to receive OTA anyways

Bingo. The majority of the public is buying satellite to watch TV, and would say "why would I want to install an ugly antenna to get channels I already get?" They want to turn to a channel and get a picture.

i wonder if they dropped it due to the annoyances like i faced... i went through 3 hr20-700s that had faulty OTA tuners... amybe they dropped them cause it wouldnt work right... lol

i wonder if they dropped it due to the annoyances like i faced... i went through 3 hr20-700s that had faulty OTA tuners... amybe they dropped them cause it wouldnt work right... lol

Good point. When I got my HR20-700 I hooked up my little indoor antenna to get the Baltimore locals like I did with the H20. The receiver froze, I decided to say stuff it since I get the DC locals anyway and there hasn't been a problem with it since.

Bingo. The majority of the public is buying satellite to watch TV, and would say "why would I want to install an ugly antenna to get channels I already get?" They want to turn to a channel and get a picture.

These folks you are talking about don't know the difference between SD and HD pictures on their TVs either.

i happen to be in the minority here but i would prefer added recording space over an OTA tuner. but there is a reason i kept my h10 and thats if i ever decide to put an antenna on my roof. i own the box free and clear, didn't pay a dime for it and its available to me if i need it.

I recently bought a HDHomeRun box to use with my computers. It is networked, has dual tuners and there is software available for Windows, Linux and Macs. With the latest CE and EyeTV and EyeConnect software, I can record OTA programs on my Mac and watch them on my HR20 (and on my HR21 when the firmware is ready). If Directv could add a driver for this on the HR21, it could probably make up for the missing built-in tuners.

I recently bought a HDHomeRun box to use with my computers. It is networked, has dual tuners and there is software available for Windows, Linux and Macs. With the latest CE and EyeTV and EyeConnect software, I can record OTA programs on my Mac and watch them on my HR20 (and on my HR21 when the firmware is ready). If Directv could add a driver for this on the HR21, it could probably make up for the missing built-in tuners.

I've been looking at this box as I need more tuners on my HTPC setup. Looks cool especially since it works with TSReader and VLC. What software is available for Windows to schedule recordings?

I've been looking at this box as I need more tuners on my HTPC setup. Looks cool especially since it works with TSReader and VLC. What software is available for Windows to schedule recordings?

I don't use Windows, but there are links to a couple of things (MCE, BeyondTV and SageTV) on the silicondust.com website. EyeTv (for Macs) uses TitanTV and MythTV (for Linux) uses Zap2It for guide information and scheduling.

The CSR told me she would annotate my sales order with info that I am requesting an HR20. She said I can cancel if the installer does not have an HR20.

In Dallas you can't about have of the Dallas Mavericks games if you don't have OTA! Not to mention all the other channels you lose.

I find the fact that they dropped OTA crazy.

Wish me luck. I really want the new HD channels even though I have to give up my HDTIVO.

Ok I am kind of lost here… If I am reading this right with the HR21 I can not receive local OTA stations?? If one of my local stations does not broadcast to D’s Satt I will not receive the local news or any thing from that station.. I live just outside New Orleans and I do have an install for Saturday morning And I have been trying to get the installer to call me but, No luck.. I do have my OTA antenna already mounted from the old voOm days, I still use it to watch OTA channels when my cable goes out.
Is there a hard drive size difference between the HR 20 and the HR21?????

And those folks don't care. As long as D*comes up with a solution for the 1% or less people who want OTA everyone should be satisfied.

A good deal of DirecTV subs signed up because they were well outside of cable range. These are the same markets not yet up on HD LIL. While the majority of people in the US could get their HD LIL from DirecTV, the rural population might be considerably overrepresented in the subscriber base.

At the risk of sounding like a member of the DLB cult, this was a very poor decision on DirecTV's part. If it had not bee, they would not have fashioned an afterthought patch like this USB tuner. When they can transmit over 90% of the local HD channels in the US, they might have a chance going without an OTA tuner.

I have OTA on my HR10-250 and love it. I'm getting an HR-21 but am keeping the HR10-250 as my primary DVR; thus I'll have greater capacity, keep OTA and my family gets to keep the TiVo. (Da kids love that goofy little TV guy with the antennae on his head.)

The reason those of us who have OTA are so passionate about keeping it is that it's FREE. I know, we're already paying for DirecTV. But darnit, it feels FREE.

I had the HR10-250 for a year or so; just recently got a used CRT HDTV. I could get HD for free without paying DirecTV simply by recording it OTA on the HR10-250. It may not be tremendously logical, but OTA still feels great 'cause it's FREE.

I live just outside a small central Texas town where cable is not available although I think cable is available in town. I do receive the Austin channels over the satellite but with my OTA I also receive Waco stations. Two of the Waco stations broadcast the weather radar 24/7 on the sub channels. This something I can't get from the satellite and rather important come spring and summer around here. I have also come across times when there was a problem with an Austin station and I just tune the same network from Waco. So OTA is important to me but may not be to others. That is why I wish it was easier for people to order what they want or need instead of "we can't promise that". That is also why I had to get my receiver on my own, pay for the dish too, and install it myself. That way I got what i wanted with less hassle but it cost me more.

Ok I am kind of lost here… If I am reading this right with the HR21 I can not receive local OTA stations?? If one of my local stations does not broadcast to D’s Satt I will not receive the local news or any thing from that station.. I live just outside New Orleans and I do have an install for Saturday morning And I have been trying to get the installer to call me but, No luck.. I do have my OTA antenna already mounted from the old voOm days, I still use it to watch OTA channels when my cable goes out.
Is there a hard drive size difference between the HR 20 and the HR21?????
- The HR21 does not have an OTA tuner, so it can't receive OTA stations
- The hard drive in the HR20-100 and HR21-700 is the same size...320gb
- If you currently receive New Orleans locals, you should have access to HD locals through Directv. If you are in a smaller market, you probably have access to SD locals, but not HD locals.

:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.