HR22-100 freezing and searching for signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ranmic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Sun, Sun and more Sun!!!!
A little over a month ago my HR22 started searching for signal one night and no matter how many times I reset it, it would still come up searching for signal. The next morning it was back to normal ops. No other box in the house was doing it, just the HD-DVR. My regular and HD boxes were fine.

Well, about two days ago the same thing started happening again, with the exception of this time after the reboot it came back up. But this time it seems to pixelate a lot and the picture if freezing three to four times (on average) every hour. The rest of the boxes(just like last time) are fine and function with no problems.

Anyone have any ideas what's up or what I should be looking for to trouble shoot?

Could be a bunch of things.

Bad B-Band converter, unless you are on SWiM.....steal b-band converter from another box or borrow one from a friend....

Bad connection or wire....move the reciever to another location and see if the problems continue?

Bad box.......

Thanks for the reply Bill. I am on a SWiM........also I did switch the HD box and ran it for a couple of days and saw no issues at all.

I'm on the side of thinking the box may be going bad, but unfortunately with it being hit and miss like it is today, I'm not sure I'd get very far with D* if I tried to get it replaced without actually being bad.

SWiM........also I did switch the HD box and ran it for a couple of days and saw no issues at all.

If this is the case then it sounds to me like a bad coax wire (snip off & change your connectors first on both ends) going to this location. With SWiM, I don't even fool around with using older wire that I know for certain works; for whatever the reason that setup likes clean cable so that's the way i go, even for a short little run.

I am troubleshooting situation just like this -- three HRs on a SWM system -- two have never had a problem, while the third goes into the "searching for signal" mode on seemingly random occasions. I might go weeks between incidents, or just a day. Tried swapping to another room and it "seemed" to work fine, but who knows -- I might need to leave it there for a month.

Right now, I am leaning towards the "iffy" coax syndrome, because the wire to the other room is one I installed myself -- it leaves one room through a coax "barrel" in a wallplate, and then enters the other room the same way. Might just too many barrels in the line. The other machines have just the cable from the splitter going directly to the input connector. Still have many tests to conduct to narrow this down, but it can be a long wait to determine if the "fix" actually worked.

If this is the case then it sounds to me like a bad coax wire (snip off & change your connectors first on both ends) going to this location. With SWiM, I don't even fool around with using older wire that I know for certain works; for whatever the reason that setup likes clean cable so that's the way i go, even for a short little run.

Good idea.....thanks. I will do just that and see what happens.

I am troubleshooting situation just like this -- three HRs on a SWM system -- two have never had a problem, while the third goes into the "searching for signal" mode on seemingly random occasions. I might go weeks between incidents, or just a day. Tried swapping to another room and it "seemed" to work fine, but who knows -- I might need to leave it there for a month.

Right now, I am leaning towards the "iffy" coax syndrome, because the wire to the other room is one I installed myself -- it leaves one room through a coax "barrel" in a wallplate, and then enters the other room the same way. Might just too many barrels in the line. The other machines have just the cable from the splitter going directly to the input connector. Still have many tests to conduct to narrow this down, but it can be a long wait to determine if the "fix" actually worked.

Not sure about you, but I took a one of my HD receivers and put it in the same place as my HD DVR(the trouble maker) and it never seemed to hicup......but, like you said, I didn't leave it there more than a day so maybe it was a bad test.

Just got this email from D* this morning, so I assume this explains my issue ( I hope).

[FONT=&quot]"You may have experienced a transmission glitch to your DIRECTV service. DIRECTV has fixed the problem and automatically reset the receivers. There's nothing further that you need to do. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this technical issue has caused.[/FONT]
spacer.gif

[FONT=&quot]Our promise is to provide you with the best television experience, and to resolve any issues that might arise as quickly as possible.[/FONT]
spacer.gif

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for being a valued DIRECTV customer."[/FONT]

Just got this email from D* this morning, so I assume this explains my issue ( I hope).

[FONT=&quot]"You may have experienced a transmission glitch to your DIRECTV service. DIRECTV has fixed the problem and automatically reset the receivers. There's nothing further that you need to do. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this technical issue has caused.[/FONT]
spacer.gif

[FONT=&quot]Our promise is to provide you with the best television experience, and to resolve any issues that might arise as quickly as possible.[/FONT]
spacer.gif

I got the same e-mail last night. It's most likely a blanket e-mail.

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

I don't think this has anything to do with your problem.
You had your issues before the other night when everything went haywire.

Personally, I would take the bad recvr and move it to another location in the house and watch to see if you have the issue any longer, if the trouble continues, it's a bad box.
If it doesn't happen any longer fix/ replace/ look into the coax/ connections.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)