HR22 HD DVR on Standard TV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ZoSo925

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Sin City
I have an older Sony WEGA 36" SD TV and Im wondering if I can use the new HR22 HD DVR on it this TV using the Composite - Red, Yellow, White cable?

I currently have Cox Cable and using their HD DVR on this standard TV no problems. My Sony does have the Component Input but some reason signal comes in fuzzy... perfect for my Playstation 3 though

Ive been searching all over for specs and it looks like the HR22 does have 2 Composite connections, but pictures on the internet are too blurry to get a good description of what they are.

One of the pluses of having a HD DVR is that I can record more stuff vs the SD DVR

If the TV has component (red, green, blue) then the HR22 will work quite well. BTW, composite is the yellow or s-video connection. The HR22 has all varieties of outputs (except RF).

Have you tried this at all on a standard (Non-HD) TV?

The manual for for my TV - Input 4

This input connects to the component video Y, Pb, Pr, and Audio L/R jacks on your DVD player or digital set-top box (480i only)

I kinda jumped the ship a bit too quick and ordered 2 Directv Plus HD DVR boxes and should have posted here first.

I just want to be 100% sure this box will work on the standard Sony TV.

The box Im currently using with Cox is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD and it "will not" work with the Blue/Green/Red connections to my TV. I get sound but the picture is distorted and wavy snow picture.

If I use my Playstation 3 or DVD player with the Blue/Green/Red connections, it works perfect...

So Im wondering if the Blue/Green/Red connections do not work, there is a Red/Yellow/White connection on the HR22 for Output. That should work then. On the back of the HR22 I see 2 sets oRed/Yellow/White and was wondering if they are Outputs?

It will work perfectly. Try using s-video for a better picture however.

Nice thanks, I do have a S-Video cable and will give that a shot when the tech comes to install.

Best Buy needs to update their website, the specs say it does not have S-Video but when I searched other sites it said it did have S-Video

Edit: My 2nd post didnt show up to jdspencer.

I'll have to see if the Blue/Green/Red work on my TV for the HR22. For my Cox Cable, it uses the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD Box. It wont let me use the Component - Blue/Green/Red, I get sound but the display is distorted. I know the inputs on my TV work because Playstation 3 and DVD player work perfect. The manual for my Sony TV says this Input is only for 480i, not sure what that means..... Im guessing this Explorer 8300HD is doing 480p and that's why its distorted when using Component for the box. Red/Yellow/White only works for the Explorer 8300HD

Last edited:
If you use the component video cables and output the receiver to 480i it will work excellent with the best picture quality possible with SDTV. I just bought my second HD receiver(H21) and I have the same Sony 36 inch wega in my upstairs living room and with component vid and 480i on the receiver selected it works like a charm;)

Nice thanks, I do have a S-Video cable and will give that a shot when the tech comes to install.

Best Buy needs to update their website, the specs say it does not have S-Video but when I searched other sites it said it did have S-Video

Edit: My 2nd post didnt show up to jdspencer.

I'll have to see if the Blue/Green/Red work on my TV for the HR22. For my Cox Cable, it uses the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD Box. It wont let me use the Component - Blue/Green/Red, I get sound but the display is distorted. I know the inputs on my TV work because Playstation 3 and DVD player work perfect. The manual for my Sony TV says this Input is only for 480i, not sure what that means..... Im guessing this Explorer 8300HD is doing 480p and that's why its distorted when using Component for the box. Red/Yellow/White only works for the Explorer 8300HD
backpanel of HR22:
9-14-08-directv_hr22.jpg

You can see:
2RF inputs(satellite)
S-video out
1x Composite out
1x Component out
2x stereo audio out
1x digital coax out
1x optical out
1x hdmi out
1x e-sata
1x usb
2x ethernet
1x phone jack
1x power adapter

I think I covered it all:D

edit: component in 480i will look the best out of composite/s-video/component

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)