Hr22 slow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CLASSICDIRECTV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2022
Shreveport Louisiana USA
My hr22 has been super slow as of recently, it is a generic hr22 with a 1tb hdd, I would just deal with it since it’s so old but I am waiting to put my hr34 and 24 back into service and my h25 isn’t a dvr . What do y’all suggest to me to do so I can speed this box up untill I reactivate my hr24 and hr34

My hr22 has been super slow as of recently, it is a generic hr22 with a 1tb hdd, I would just deal with it since it’s so old but I am waiting to put my hr34 and 24 back into service and my h25 isn’t a dvr . What do y’all suggest to me to do so I can speed this box up untill I reactivate my hr24 and hr34
Not so sure you will be able to RE Activate many of them ....

If I were you, I'd upgrade to the HR54 or the HS17, depending on your situation.
They are all way past thier prime ....

If you do upgrade, try to do it without a New Commitment .... I would avoid a 2 year commitment, if they are willing to up grade most everything, I'd accept a 1 year commitment ...

Not so sure you will be able to RE Activate many of them ....

If I were you, I'd upgrade to the HR54 or the HS17, depending on your situation.
They are all way past thier prime ....

If you do upgrade, try to do it without a New Commitment .... I would avoid a 2 year commitment, if they are willing to up grade most everything, I'd accept a 1 year commitment ...
All of my equipment is owned and I know a employee/installer directly which they can reactivate them for me, also the reason I don’t want to upgrade is because the genie ui is ABSOLUTELY HIDDEOUS and buggy And UGLY, I also like haveing my ui match every tv in the house

All of my equipment is owned and I know a employee/installer directly which they can reactivate them for me, also the reason I don’t want to upgrade is because the genie ui is ABSOLUTELY HIDDEOUS and buggy And UGLY, I also like haveing my ui match every tv in the house
I've had no real issues with my HR54, I got it when I upgraded for the 4k stuff from the HR44 which was also very good.
Looks mean nothing, as long as they work.
Mine are in the entertainment center, barely see them.

There is absolutely nothing hideous about the UI and it's hardly buggy. I've been using an HS17 with clients for four or five years now with no issues of note. It's as snappy as I need it to be. Not sure what kind of advice you think you're going to get in trying to get ancient hardware to work well, but my advice is to either upgrade or learn to live with it.

There is absolutely nothing hideous about the UI and it's hardly buggy. I've been using an HS17 with clients for four or five years now with no issues of note. It's as snappy as I need it to be. Not sure what kind of advice you think you're going to get in trying to get ancient hardware to work well, but my advice is to either upgrade or learn to live with it.

I’ve had the hs17 when they allowed me to beta test it back in 2017 and let me tell you it was awful, I downgraded to an hr54 back in 2019 still awful then in 2020 I found my old hr24 34 22 and h25 so I got service on the 22 and 24 and 25 but in 2022 I had enough of it and downgraded the hr54 to the 34 as well

I’ve had the hs17 when they allowed me to beta test it back in 2017 and let me tell you it was awful, I downgraded to an hr54 back in 2019 still awful then in 2020 I found my old hr24 34 22 and h25 so I got service on the 22 and 24 and 25 but in 2022 I had enough of it and downgraded the hr54 to the 34 as well
That's why people beta tested em they were crap until all of the bugs were worked out of them!!!we have the HS-17 never any issues. and if one comes up nothing that a system reboot won't fix and we only had to reboot it once in 2 years. when they first came out installers refused to put em in and downgrade people to the HR-54 because they were so bad. i will kind of agree on the UI something like the hoppers UI would be nice.

image.jpg

Attachments

• 820F97F6-C713-4B23-9493-362889A58F0B.jpeg
    820F97F6-C713-4B23-9493-362889A58F0B.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 64
There are many reasons why someone might prefer a Hx2x over a Genie or not want to replace their entire setup with a Genie 2 and clients, there's no need to attack them over it:
- They might prefer the UI layout
- They like having their own DVR playlists and quick tune lists, especially if you watch some of the same shows as someone else in your household but at your own pace, and don't want someone deleting an episode before you have a chance to watch, or lose your resume position if you had to stop watching and someone else finished the episode.
- They might have a bunch of recordings of older shows that will likely never stream anywhere legally (i.e. I still have a ton of classic episodes of All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital saved from SOAPnet's marathons on one of my HR24s, not to mention shows that Zaslav/WBD, Iger/Disney and Paramount recently purged from all digital platforms so they don't have to pay royalties)
- They like features that have been removed from the Genie like on screen Caller ID or the ability to automatically view channels at their native progressive/interlaced framerates or resolutions
- They have a slower internet plan or one with datacaps, and don't want their bandwidth/allotment hogged by Genie's automatic VOD downloads or by someone not realizing they are watching a streaming channel like Cheddar, i24 or Tastemade on a regular basis.
- They prefer switching to SD during rainfade instead of Keep Watching with Broadband because of datacaps/slower speeds or so that they can still rewind/fast forward (yes you can do this with Genie, but it involves going into the menus and reactivating SD duplicates, and by the time they reappear, you might have missed a key part of the show)
- They don't want dynamic ads and promos fed to them everytime they pause TV

And to answer the OP's original question about the sluggishness. Try rebooting your receiver every few weeks. If you have a lot of Boolean searches or series recordings that are set to catch every possible airing on all channels, that can slow things down too.

You can still add them to your account, and they're still releasing firmware updates for them, the latest one rolled out last month. It's not just bug/security fixes, some of them have included new features. Like about a year ago they added a function to switch to SD during rainfade, a while back they added an Instant Purchase Over Remote (IPOR) function that displays previews and a targetted offer if you turn to an unsubscribed premium channel, and post-repack they readded the ability to scan for channels with an AM21 instead of only displaying what's in the OTA database.

Status
Please reply by conversation.