Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
Hello.

Just got my upgrade DVR that I ordered from DTV, and maybe I should have shopped around to get exactly what I wanted, but, they sent me an HR23-700 and the price was around
$150 shipped. (I was able to talk my way down, even though I just got an HD-DVR upgrade a few months ago).

I actualy just found an HR24 from Sears for $120 shipped. Is the 1080i vs. 1080p capability difference of any benefit worth the hassle of trying to send this HR23 back to DTV before
I activate it?

Is there much of a noticiable PQ difference between I and P?

Just asking before I activate.

Thanks.

Both DVRs have the same PQ capabilities. 1080p is only available on some PPV and VOD movies. Nothing is broadcast in 1080p. The HR23 can do 1080p. The HR24 is faster in the menus and is prettier, but it can't do anything that the HR23 can't.

Both DVRs have the same PQ capabilities. 1080p is only available on some PPV and VOD movies. Nothing is broadcast in 1080p. The HR23 can do 1080p. The HR24 is faster in the menus and is prettier, but it can't do anything that the HR23 can't.

Cool. Thanks for the great info. Didn't realize the HR23 could do 1080p, as the unit itself and the book only mention 1080i. I won't go thru the hassle of getting the other DVR. I can deal with slower menus.....

upgrade to the new HD GUI (you can do that Friday/Saturday nights to the CE) and it will be just as fast as a HR24
I did that to the R22

Discovered a very cool feature on the HR23 that my HR24 does not have. A built in Network Switch. Two Ethernet Jacks. Unplugged the wire from my TV, put it in the bottom jack, put a wire from the top jack to my TV, now, I have network access on both the HR23 and my TV.

Very cool.

upgrade to the new HD GUI (you can do that Friday/Saturday nights to the CE) and it will be just as fast as a HR24
I did that to the R22

This sounds like what I need to do. I ordered the "free" upgraded HDR expecting the HD24, but received the HD23. I currently have the HD22 and it is slow, slow, slow. If the 22 can be upgraded via downlaod to be as fast or nearly as fast as the 24 I can just send the 23 back.

So what, in layman's terms, does "upgrade to the new HD GUI" mean and what is meant by "Friday/Saturday nights to the CE)

I guess I get most of what you are saying....assuming GUI is _ User Interface, but what do you do on Fri/Sat nights and what is the CE?

Thanks!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts