HR23 Software/HD Channel Updates. How does this work?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

robx46

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I've been through the settings on my HR23. I'm new to D*. Just had E*, and those recievers would shut down every night and check for updates.
These HR23's (and a regular HD reciever) don't seem to do that, or if they do I've never noticed. Nor can I find a setting that mentions anything about the recievers checking for updates or shutting down every night.

So if there are new updates for the HR23, how will I know that there are any? And how do I get them installed? Just wondering how all this works.

Also, I'm wondering that when programming gets updated, is there a way we get notified via the reciever?
Cuz if we get a couple new HD channels, it would probably take me a while to notice them.

For example, if I hadn't of been on these forums, I wouldn't even have known that EI was free this week.
Is there somewhere on the reciever that I can go to to check on updates or get messages of all types, whether in regards programming, software, ect.?

For new software, it gets pushed automatically to your receiver - there really is no way for you to force it to download and install (except for CE software releases - check out the special forum for that). And not everyone gets new software all at the same time, but is usually over a few days (there are exceptions). In fact, if you had more than one HD DVR, one might get updated a day or two before the other(s). Basically, once your receiver ID is flagged by D* computer for the software, then you get it, and it will usually download, install and reboot during the overnight hours (again there have been exceptions).

As for being notified of new channels, well... you get the best info on a site like this.

Your receiver does not notify you of new channels. You just have to monitor sites like this.
As for powering down nightly like DISH does, DirecTV receivers are different than those at DISH. I don't know the exact specifics between the two, but the DirecTV receivers don't have a need to power down and do self maintenance such as defragging like DISH does.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts