HR24-500 or Tivo holdout?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As someone that recently left D*, move to Comcast and is now using a Tivo premiere I'm qualified to offer some comparisons.<br />
<br />
The Tivo HD interface is pretty awful. Its very laggy when moving around in the now playing list taking about 1.5 to 2 seconds to update show information as you scroll through your list. Compared with the SD interface which is instant. Compared with the D* interface which is also relatively instant. This is a programming issue with caching and internet access that TIVO refuses to fix. The switch from HD to SD menus more than a step or two deep into the tivo is also fairly jarring but far less annoying that the interface lag. After a week or so of playing with the HD interface I've permanently switched it off and now use the SD one.<br />
<br />
The guide information hasn't changed look in 12 years or so. Its about as fast as the HR24. I prefer the look of D* but honestly the Tivo guide is good enough. One annoying thing is that when you are surfing in the guide it doesn't show you upcoming recordings with a red mark like on D* or Dish. It will show the marks only for shows currently recording which is annoying if you want to see if a specific episode is recording forcing you to wade through tens to hundreds of shows in the to do list or going into the season pass to see upcoming episodes.<br />
<br />
Search functions are about the same on both IMO.<br />
<br />
Season passes work about the same as well.<br />
<br />
D* has the advantage with conflicts allowing you to select which show you want to cancel if there is a recording conflict where Tivo only will allow you to cancel the lesser priority show. This is annoying.<br />
<br />
Tivo also has a overlap protection thing that is annoying at times. D* was seamless Tivo will sometimes clip shows when there is no need to clip them simply because it seems it has to start about a minute early on other recording when it really isnt' necessary. Never had an issue with D*.<br />
<br />
Netflix integration is also very poor with a folder menu style interface. The big issue being most of your shows will not show up despite being offered by Netflix. See the Tivo has a retarded limit of 50 or so episodes and after that its buggy as hell to get them to show up. So shows with multiple seasons are difficult to navigate. Frankly its so bad I use my 360 most of the time and IMO a Roku box would do a far better job.<br />
'<br />
<br />
IMO Tivo won't be around in another 5 years. They have sat on their laurels for far too long and Cable Co DVRs are rapidly approaching Tivo quality. D and Dish have already surpassed it IMO. Now that Tivo has raised prices and forced contracts I can't see them adding subscribers to replace one ones who have been leaving. Hemorrhaging actually.

Don't bet on getting netflix on D* I doubt it will happen. Also MRV is likely out as well. So if it ever releases I doubt people will be willing to pay more for less.

I also have the TiVo premier. I also shut of the HD menus, mostly because they are not all HD anyway ... Only the main menu. I also prefer those SD menus as they are what I've always had. A resolution update of the same old menus would suit me fine.

I don't have the lag that you describe or the Netflix menu limitation. In fact "Star Trek" currently lists 87 episodes in the main folder. Weeds is nice enough to break up by season too.

Either way it all boils down to preference. Scott just reannounced that it is expected next month. I've waited this long ....

I also have the TiVo premier. I also shut of the HD menus, mostly because they are not all HD anyway ... Only the main menu. I also prefer those SD menus as they are what I've always had. A resolution update of the same old menus would suit me fine. &amp;amp;amp;lt;br /&amp;amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;br /&amp;amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&amp;amp;amp;lt;br /&amp;amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;br /&amp;amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
I don't have the lag that you describe or the Netflix menu limitation. In fact &amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;Star Trek&amp;amp;amp;amp;quot; currently lists 87 episodes in the main folder. Weeds is nice enough to break up by season too. &amp;amp;amp;lt;br /&amp;amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;br /&amp;amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&amp;amp;amp;lt;br /&amp;amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;br /&amp;amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Either way it all boils down to preference. Scott just reannounced that it is expected next month. I've waited this long ....

Put something like married with children in your queue for fun. It will list the total episodes correctly but then go into each one and scroll through season by season. You will see SE1EP01 to SE3EP12 or something like that in order perfectly fine. Keep going and you'll see it will start skipping episodes. Even though they are available. Now go into the middle of the pack of episodes, load one, let it play for a minute or two then exit out. You'll see the episodes in the first part of the list are now missing and the 50 or so from the middle where you watched the episode are all listed properly

The limit might be 100 or 50 I forget which since i don't use it anymore.

As for the lag, when you go into a folder in your now playing list and select a show, it doesn't take a second or two for the information to show up in the bottom right with the show info, date recorded etc? This continues as you scroll through and never caches because if you go back it still takes just as long to show it even if you just move the cursor down and up again. When you go into a folder and show on the SD menu and use the chan down and up buttons to move through the shows its instant.

Last edited:
Put something like married with children in your queue for fun. It will list the total episodes correctly but then go into each one and scroll through season by season. You will see SE1EP01 to SE3EP12 or something like that in order perfectly fine. Keep going and you'll see it will start skipping episodes. Even though they are available. Now go into the middle of the pack of episodes, load one, let it play for a minute or two then exit out. You'll see the episodes in the first part of the list are now missing and the 50 or so from the middle where you watched the episode are all listed properly

The limit might be 100 or 50 I forget which since i don't use it anymore.

As for the lag, when you go into a folder in your now playing list and select a show, it doesn't take a second or two for the information to show up in the bottom right with the show info, date recorded etc? This continues as you scroll through and never caches because if you go back it still takes just as long to show it even if you just move the cursor down and up again. When you go into a folder and show on the SD menu and use the chan down and up buttons to move through the shows its instant.

Must be 100, like I said Star Trek has 87. God help me if I ever have more than 10 recorded shows from one series. Just tested the Netflix instant queue and it was pretty instant. my human brain says less than .25 seconds when scrolling. Now I did reboot the unit and tired it and it took Netflix 8 seconds to load its app, but the scrolling remained unchanged. I'm not going to test the HD side though ... agree it is pokey.

Status
Please reply by conversation.