hr24-500 problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

steve99999

Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
salem indiana
My problem is that on many occasions I get picture and no sound when turning on my D-tv HR24-500 and my Toshiba 37hl66. I'm up to advanced technicians now and they can't figure it out. Have replaced receiver, multi port box in attic, numerous barrel fittings, cables from wall to receiver, HDMI cable (on 3rd one). No luck with their techs. Have 4 tv's on Direct and the hd w/hr24 receiver is the only one with problem. Is it likely that the 2nd receiver could have been faulty? I've had that problem with computer equipment before, but not often. Anyone have any ideas? Thanls.

Have you tried using component cables instead of HDMI? You may have a handshake issue between the HR24 and the Toshiba. Can you switch the HR24 for another box?

Component cables

I switched to component cables this morning. So far it has had sound each time when turned on (4X today). I'll test it for a few days before letting Direct off the hook. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried using component cables instead of HDMI? You may have a handshake issue between the HR24 and the Toshiba. Can you switch the HR24 for another box?

I have the same TV, Toshiba 37HL66 in the bedroom and the same receiver HR24-500 and I had the same problem. It didn't happen all the time but when enough to bother the wife. I replaced the HDMI cable with a shorter one and it hasn't happened again.

Component cables

We tried three different HDMI cables, from 8' shielded down to 3', none solved the problem. I hesitate to make the following comment but I will, even if it may jinx me. Raoul5788 suggested using component cables. Yesterday I removed the HDMI and set up the ColorStream HD-1 option using the red, green and blue cables and a separate audio cable. So far, from 10 am yesterday through 30 minutes ago (10X), all has worked fine. One thing I did notice is that the color is much more vivid than before and everything is so much sharper. It also seems the signal response from the receiver to the tv is quicker. I'm unfamiliar but is this the nature of using HDMI? Thanks to those that responded.

I have the same TV, Toshiba 37HL66 in the bedroom and the same receiver HR24-500 and I had the same problem. It didn't happen all the time but when enough to bother the wife. I replaced the HDMI cable with a shorter one and it hasn't happened again.

Generally speaking, HDMI gives a slightly better picture, in theory at least. BTW, the name's Chip, Raoul is just a screen name.

We tried three different HDMI cables, from 8' shielded down to 3', none solved the problem. I hesitate to make the following comment but I will, even if it may jinx me. Raoul5788 suggested using component cables. Yesterday I removed the HDMI and set up the ColorStream HD-1 option using the red, green and blue cables and a separate audio cable. So far, from 10 am yesterday through 30 minutes ago (10X), all has worked fine. One thing I did notice is that the color is much more vivid than before and everything is so much sharper. It also seems the signal response from the receiver to the tv is quicker. I'm unfamiliar but is this the nature of using HDMI? Thanks to those that responded.

That's definitely the nature of HDMI. Lots of handshake issues not just with TVs but with audio receivers.

Chip and RandallA

It will be a week tomorrow morning since I scrapped HDMI and switched to the component cables. I have had no instances of no sound so I am assuming everything is OK and I'm closing my case. Thanks for your help. :)

That's definitely the nature of HDMI. Lots of handshake issues not just with TVs but with audio receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)