Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
So.... my wife was watching TV this morning in the bedroom and all of a sudden the guide pops up. She thought maybe the dog had stepped on the remote which was on the bed. She looks at the TV a few minutes later and it's asking her if she'd like to filter the guide.

She calls me into the room. The remote is now sitting on top of the receiver (pointed sideways) and while we're talking the guide pops up. I hit Exit and it goes away. So I sat there for a minute watching the receiver. I see the DirecTV emblem flicker and sure enough, there's the guide again.

I didn't have time to get in and check to see if it's set to IR or RF or anything else, but it sure was odd. Anyone else seen this? I don't have anything in the room (that I know of) that would be sending out spurious IR radiation and certainly nothing sending RF.

Any suggestions on where to start if this keeps up?

I would change the IR remote code and see if that fixes it. Does sound like interference of some sort. A reboot of the box might also fix it....

Sounds like some sort of interference.

I had something similar happen when I was with Dish. The RF remote in my bedroom would work tuner #2 of our receiver. I'm guessing the neighbor had Dish too because once in a while i'd see the channel change. You would see them enter the numbers, or open the guide to search. We'd have a back/forth fight until the guy just gave up. I had to reprogram the remote to a different code.

cparker said:
So.... my wife was watching TV this morning in the bedroom and all of a sudden the guide pops up. She thought maybe the dog had stepped on the remote which was on the bed. She looks at the TV a few minutes later and it's asking her if she'd like to filter the guide.

She calls me into the room. The remote is now sitting on top of the receiver (pointed sideways) and while we're talking the guide pops up. I hit Exit and it goes away. So I sat there for a minute watching the receiver. I see the DirecTV emblem flicker and sure enough, there's the guide again.

I didn't have time to get in and check to see if it's set to IR or RF or anything else, but it sure was odd. Anyone else seen this? I don't have anything in the room (that I know of) that would be sending out spurious IR radiation and certainly nothing sending RF.

Any suggestions on where to start if this keeps up?

When you catch it in the act again, pull the batteries from the remote and see if it continues.
If it does try red button reset.
If it doesn't change batteries or change remote.

The rcvrs are set to IR out if the box so unless you changed it to RF or had the installer do it then chances are its IR. I wouldn't think that would matter since your not pushing the buttons anyway.

Hell, maybe you do have a friend lingering.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts