HR24 installtion - need advice please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rcmaniac6

Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
hampton virginia
Help, I had an HR20 HD DVR runniing on a Slimline dish, the LNB head on it says AU9 and has 3 pickups (LNBs). 4 cables coming into my house into a flat rectangular box/switch, like 6 coax terminals in and 6 out. I was running a real old non-HD receiver and the mentioned DVR. Had 2 BBCs on the HD DVR. So, no SWM involved (I don't know what that is but have done enough reading in the last 2 days to figure I don't have it). I bought an HR24 and had it activated by DTV on my wife's system. She has an SL5 and a switch box and BBCs also. Her sewitch is different. It worked fine on her system setup as SL5, Multiswitch, use BBcs. NOw on my dish and cables and MS it will not pick up a signal. None, nada, nuttin! Tried for 2 days now and am going nuts. I have adjusted dishes before and acquired the signal in no more than 30 minutes using the old fashioned "systematic sweep method". Nuttin happening now. My dish is in the same place it always was, nothing blocking the path. What am I missing or doing wrong guys? Do I need to eliminate the multi-switch? I want to run just the one new HR24 and nothiing else, be able to watch and record HD simultaneously. Also, there was another SL5 (I think) dish next door with 3 LNBs and a built in SWM (says so on the green sticker on the head). I tried using it bypassing everything going straight into my HR24 and setting it on SL5 & SWM, or SL5 (SWM) and still nothing. Yes, I reset it several times. Thanks in advance for your help. JB

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

On your setup you say there are four cables from the dish, but six going into the multiswitch. Where do the other two come from? What model switch does your wife have? Does your lnb look like the one your wife has? If not, then you have to change the setup menu to reflect the correct one, but I don't think that would keep it from at least showing signal strength.

Chip, thanks for responding. I need some basic info first. Does the AU9 Slimeline LNB Dish combination work with the HR24? If so does it have to go through a multi-switch? If so why? Can I just run one coax from the dish to the receiever? Do I have to have a BBC with this dish/LNB combo? When I go into the SETUP screen there are only teo chices, SWM and Multiswitch. Does this mean you cant go straight to the BBC/receiver? Thanks, JB

AU9 refers to the dish itself, the Slimline. The lnbs come in two types, swm and non swm. Each of those can be a three or five type. Your HR24 will work fine with any of them. When you have a non swm lnb, you must use a bbc on each tuner unless you have the 23 series models. If you aren't using a swm lnb, you should choose multiswitch from the menu. So, go from the lnb to the bbc, to the dvr and you will be good to go!

Does it matter which conector I use on the LNB? This one has 3 different shaped feedcones. I was using this dish/LNB combo succesfully with my old H20.

You can use any of them, it doesn't matter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)