HR24 or wait for the Tivo, or other?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jasonbonz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
Kansas City, MO
Okay, so I am in the market for a new HD DVR to add to my collection of one.

I was really excited to hear about the upcoming Tivo Directv tuner, but it is now delayed... Now looking at the HR24 because of Whole Home, etc....

Would it be worth it to go with the HR24 or wait for Tivo? My main reason for the interest in Tivo is the ability to transfer movies to my iPod. I travel a lot (airplane) and would like the option to transfer tv to my ipod.. Frankly, I am not even sure the Directv version of Tivo would have that capability...

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Depends how patient you are ....

no realistic time table on the release of the Tivo.

How did you go about transfering the movies to your ipod ?
what type of connection was involved ?

How did you go about transfering the movies to your ipod ?
what type of connection was involved ?

Tivo Box connected via network to computer. ON the computer, there is Tivo Desktop Software that helps with the transfer from the computer to the device (iPod, Blackberry, etc.) Similiar to Directv2pc, but allows for transferring to external device.

Tivo Box connected via network to computer. ON the computer, there is Tivo Desktop Software that helps with the transfer from the computer to the device (iPod, Blackberry, etc.) Similiar to Directv2pc, but allows for transferring to external device.

This is one thing I wish directv boxes did. I now van pool which is an hour each way. I could watch some shows. I know just rip DVD via Handbrake.

I'm 99% sure there wont be a directv tivo box. I dont think directv ever really wanted it and they probably feel that their current product is good enough to not need it.

Sure was a good ploy to keep the old directv-tivo users hanging around for an extra year until they could get DLB and MRV working.

I also strongly doubt you'll ever see a transfer of shows from a directv box to a pc or an ipod. They'll allow limited streaming from a dvr to a target that supports the right client software thats loaded with encryption and DRM.

I'm 99% sure there wont be a directv tivo box. I dont think directv ever really wanted it and they probably feel that their current product is good enough to not need it.

Sure was a good ploy to keep the old directv-tivo users hanging around for an extra year until they could get DLB and MRV working.

I also strongly doubt you'll ever see a transfer of shows from a directv box to a pc or an ipod. They'll allow limited streaming from a dvr to a target that supports the right client software thats loaded with encryption and DRM.

I agree ....

As far as streaming goes, there another money maker, could do anything for the right amount of money.

Streaming HD to an ipod wont work. Not enough bandwidth via cell or wireless G to make it work. Of course due to the small screen and lower network bandwidth you could downrez it pretty severely without anyone noticing.

Of course, Brother Steve would want all of this to go through his app store and itunes.

Streaming HD to an ipod wont work. Not enough bandwidth via cell or wireless G to make it work. Of course due to the small screen and lower network bandwidth you could downrez it pretty severely without anyone noticing.

Of course, Brother Steve would want all of this to go through his app store and itunes.

sorry, I got confused there, too much going on in my head today, i was thinking streaming to the D* recvr and then to the ipod, but your right, Uncle Steve would have an "app" for that !

I'm in the mood to upgrade equipment now that we've settled on staying with Directv but not budging until I can see what the HMC30 will do or TiVo. HMC is supposed to be able to stream programing to internet enabled televisions eliminating the box and have more than 2 tuners (could theoretically be 8 with a single wire using SWM) cutting back the equipment to one box and a bunch of enabled appliances around the house, but right now its all vaporware . Tivo may deliver it to your desktop, again vaporware.

Until someone gives some specifics, to heck with it.

RVU Alliance Partners (supposed HMC30 functionality - see diagram on page 3):

http://www.rvualliance.org/files/st...D09-3519-AD1C802C5AADD330/RVU_White_Paper.pdf

DirecTV and Samsung are players. Samsung is selling compliant displays right now. Look for the DLNA functionality.

Last edited:
I'm in the mood to upgrade equipment now that we've settled on staying with Directv but not budging until I can see what the HMC30 will do or TiVo. HMC is supposed to be able to stream programing to internet enabled televisions eliminating the box and have more than 2 tuners (could theoretically be 8 with a single wire using SWM) cutting back the equipment to one box and a bunch of enabled appliances around the house, but right now its all vaporware . Tivo may deliver it to your desktop, again vaporware.

Until someone gives some specifics, to heck with it.

RVU Alliance Partners (supposed HMC30 functionality - see diagram on page 3):

http://www.rvualliance.org/files/st...D09-3519-AD1C802C5AADD330/RVU_White_Paper.pdf

DirecTV and Samsung are players. Samsung is selling compliant displays right now. Look for the DLNA functionality.

I saw an article about this at engadget about a month ago.

Well, you could switch to Verizon FIOS and get all that. We finally canned DirecTV this spring, saved a bunch of money and got Verizon FIOS with new TiVo Premieres and cable cards. The TiVo Premieres transfer freely betweeen units, network with the internet/Amazon/You Tube/Netflix/etc. ad infinitum, and the TiVo Desktop software networks with your TiVo units and can either transfer recorded video to watch on your computer, or you can convert it and transfer it to your iPod or iPad. This may be a little more cumbersome than streaming (wi-fi streaming is fine-3G can be really slow and picture quality sucks), but you get excellent resolution on your transfers.

There are a few things I missed about giving up DirecTV's software, like a longer buffer, the ability to toggle between a RECORDED show and a live show, and one touch to Now Playing (vs. TiVo's two), but, overall, I have been stunned by all that we were missing by keeping D* and thinking we were getting a good deal.

Oh, and Mrs. Camper is happy because she kept TiVo software-she never would give up her legacy DirecTV box because she did not like the D* format.

Did I mention that the FIOS service has been perfect, even in our Texas thunderstorms that roll through two or three times a week in the spring and blow up your network recordings on D*?

Last edited:
Well, you could switch to Verizon FIOS and get all that. We finally canned DirecTV this spring, saved a bunch of money and got Verizon FIOS with new TiVo Premieres and cable cards. The TiVo Premieres transfer freely betweeen units, network with the internet/Amazon/You Tube/Netflix/etc. ad infinitum, and the TiVo Desktop software networks with your TiVo units and can either transfer recorded video to watch on your computer, or you can convert it and transfer it to your iPod or iPad. This may be a little more cumbersome than streaming (wi-fi streaming is fine-3G can be really slow and picture quality sucks), but you get excellent resolution on your transfers.

There are a few things I missed about giving up DirecTV's software, like a longer buffer, the ability to toggle between a RECORDED show and a live show, and one touch to Now Playing (vs. TiVo's two), but, overall, I have been stunned by all that we were missing by keeping D* and thinking we were getting a good deal.
?

Unfortunately, it is not available in Kansas City, MO.... only 4 options: DirecTV, Dish, Time Warner, and ATT (which is not sure because service availability is spotty).

There will be a DirecTiVo product, most likely very late this year. DirecTV is contractually obligated to provide it (and pay for all its promotion, and just about all the other costs of the box, as such is the standard TiVo arangement).

However, the rest of your assessment is spot-on correct. The only reason DirecTV made the agreement with TiVo is because TiVo contractually agreed NOT to ever sue DirecTV for patent infringement, as TiVo has Dish/Echostar, Verizon, and AT&T.

The last DirecTV quarterly addressed someone's question about the forthcoming the often delayed (gee, I wonder why?) DirecTiVo box. The answer was the most UNDER-whelming of free thought downplays of the DirecTiVo prodeuct stating that the many of the TiVO features are already set to be included in DirecTV's next DVR box, and how they are really pretty much NOT that different from each other, except for the TiVo interface, but that there really wasn't a great deal of value to be added to the DirecTiVo except appealing to TiVo fans.

I believe it was DirecTV CEO Michael White, himself, who said these rather "forthcoming DirecTiVo it's no big deal compared to our boxes coming out," slap-down. Totally lacking in any enthusiasm for the DirecTiVo. In fact, he seemed to diminish it. DirecTV was NEVER really serious about it, but they do have to have a DirecTiVo box so that they are NOT be in breech of contract and be sued by TiVO for that. Direct is taking its sweet time.

Last edited:

Oh, and Mrs. Camper is happy because she kept TiVo software-she never would give up her legacy DirecTV box because she did not like the D* format.

Did I mention that the FIOS service has been perfect, even in our Texas thunderstorms that roll through two or three times a week in the spring and blow up your network recordings on D*?

I have nothing to say about FiOS except that it is not and will never be available to most people.

However, the rest of your assessment is spot-on correct. The only reason DirecTV made the agreement with TiVo is because TiVo contractually agreed NOT to ever sue DirecTV for patent infringement, as TiVo has Dish/Echostar, Verizon, and AT&T.

I was unaware that AT&T was in any violation regarding the Tivo situation, they came out after the Tivo software lawsuit as far as I know ..... How can ATT be in any violation from Tivo ?

Please expand on you statement as I would like to know more .

Or did I read you post incorrectly ?

There will be a DirecTiVo product, most likely very late this year. DirecTV is contractually obligated to provide it (and pay for all its promotion, and just about all the other costs of the box, as such is the standard TiVo arangement).

What made me think there might never be a tivo product was that a directv employee that posts here suggested that it would be a requirement of any shipped tivo product to support a set of new standards for streaming shows over a network rather than copying them as tivo does now.

The language around how he said it was "we paid them to do this, and they havent done it, so no product until they do".

Adoption of that technology would take quite a bit of time, its not something they'd knock out in a quarter or two. Sort of sounded like tivo was resisting the adoption. Sort of also sounded like laying in the ground work for a "non performance" argument to any lawsuit.

So I could easily see the genesis of this to be another six months of "real soon now!" delays, a reset, a reannouncement for shipping next year, complaints by directv that tivo isnt performing to contract, tivo getting dragged out even longer on their dish suit and continuing to lose money, maybe directv buys the IP from them as they fold next year.

Back to the OP's original question...

I'd get an HR24 now.
It's available now.
Not sure how long before the new DIRECTV/HD/TiVo will be available.

I'm not sure how someone figured getting FIOS was one of the OP's options.
:confused:

Yeap why wait, I am having tons of FUN with my 24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts