Vizio TV problems with HR23-700

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rush123

Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
florida
I just purchased a new 47" Vizio HD TV. Everything worked fine for about 1 hour and then the remote just stopped working. Well, not everything stopped working. I could turn off the TV, change the input mode and volume...that was it. When ever I tried to bring up the "Guide", "Menu", or try to input a channel, nothing worked. I have been conversing with the tech reps from DirectTV for a week.

Here is what we have done to troubleshot the problem:

Reset the Receiver (numerous times)
Ran system scan once (took 1 hour)
Reset remote to default settings (numerous times)
Tried both IR and RF modes
Tried a couple of other things, but don't remember details

In some of the cases, the remote to receiver features all worked for about 30 minutes to 1 hour and then nothing. I can bring up the guide and menu from the front console of the receiver, just not from their remote.

They (DirectTV) finally sent me a brand new HR 23-700 receiver and new remote via FedEX. Had tech support on the phone the whole time while we powered up and programmed the new receiver. Went through all the set up steps for the receiver and programming the remote to the Vizio TV. Everything worked great for about 30 minutes. Then it started doing the same thing as the old receiver and remote.

Had to call DirecTV back and they troubleshot the system from remote location and we also reset receiver and remote again. They then thought they had the problem troubleshot down to the DirectTV remote not working with the receiver only when I programmed in my Vizio TV code into their remote. So we reset their remote to default settings and it worked temporally, then stop working again.

The tech rep then did some research in their logs and came back and told me that there are some reported issues with Vizio TV's having issues emitting some signals that block the signal from their remote to their receiver.

So, what do I do next? Return my brand new TV and buy another brand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the ir sensor on the reciever could be being blocked by the brightness of the tv or the backlighting if the reciever is near the tv try putting it on a shelf to but distance between the two.

Sounds like a problem I had almost 2 years ago. My remote would work sporadically at times and great at other times. Turned out to be my sons little kid computer thing that used an infrared keyboard and mouse to communicate to its set top box. It sent a lot of IR and while nothing else was bothered by this, it flummoxed the directv box. When the computer was off or removed from the room, all was well.

It'd work for a while, then the response would start to get weak (have to push the button 3-4 times before it'd take) and then the receiver just wouldnt see the remote at all anymore.

The RF mode should have resolved that for you though, although its entirely possible that you have some source of RF interference as well.

For what its worth, we have a 3 month old 47" vizio led tv upstairs with an HR20-100, remote set to RF. Never had a problem with it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)