HR24; RV use

Diansul

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Texas
I've had DirecTV for years. My account is in good standing. I have two HR-24's. One is failing due to a very loud and rattling cooling fan. I'd like a replacement HR-24.

1) But I've read on this forum that replacement HR24's are no longer being sent?
2) If no HR24's, what do I want to ask for? Some server/client setup?
3) What is the best phone number to use to sort this out with DirecTv (AT&T)?
4) If client/server is required, can I take the server to use for intermittent RV use? For the RV, I use a smaller Dish antenna with a DirecTv arm, 4-out LNB, and SWM-8; Accutrac III+ used for aiming. It's all old, but it works.

HR24s can be had, but they are hard to get. Be insistent on getting one.
If you get an HS17, then you would have to take it and a client with you since the HS17 doesn't output a signal to the tv. An HR54 does output a signal, but not 4k. For that you would need to bring the 4k client with you.

HR24s can be had, but they are hard to get. Be insistent on getting one.
If you get an HS17, then you would have to take it and a client with you since the HS17 doesn't output a signal to the tv. An HR54 does output a signal, but not 4k. For that you would need to bring the 4k client with you.

Thanks. It seems like if I can't get a replacement HR24, the HR54 would work for me since 4K is not an issue for me. I assume my current RV antenna set up (for the RV, I use a smaller Dish antenna with a DirecTv arm, 4-out LNB, and SWM-8; Accutrac III+ used for aiming. It's all old, but it works.) would work with the HR54?

Will AT&T slap any extra charges on me if I have to get an HR54?

Any best phone number to call to get this sorted out?

Thanks. It seems like if I can't get a replacement HR24, the HR54 would work for me since 4K is not an issue for me. I assume my current RV antenna set up (for the RV, I use a smaller Dish antenna with a DirecTv arm, 4-out LNB, and SWM-8; Accutrac III+ used for aiming. It's all old, but it works.) would work with the HR54?

I've seen posts about "best" numbers to call, retention seems to give the best deals. They may want to charge you for the HR54 since it's an upgrade from the HR24. The monthly charge may go up if you aren't already paying for the whole home feature. It's required when you have an HR54 (Genie). BTW, have you considered getting a fan yourself and replacing the bad one? It's pretty straightforward.

Quite possibly want you to get into a Contract (24 month or less)
I would not agree to that seeing its for thier benefit you upgrade, vs turning that box off because they can't accomidate you.

I think you Can get HR24's still, quite possibly used or previously used reconditioned, most of which work fine.

I will keep an eye on this as I too need different HR24's.

I've seen posts about "best" numbers to call, retention seems to give the best deals. They may want to charge you for the HR54 since it's an upgrade from the HR24. The monthly charge may go up if you aren't already paying for the whole home feature. It's required when you have an HR54 (Genie). BTW, have you considered getting a fan yourself and replacing the bad one? It's pretty straightforward.
i'm sure the 54 will get him a new 2 year contract as well. id'e look for a replacement fan!!!

Quite possibly want you to get into a Contract (24 month or less)
I would not agree to that seeing its for thier benefit you upgrade, vs turning that box off because they can't accomidate you.

I think you Can get HR24's still, quite possibly used or previously used reconditioned, most of which work fine.

I will keep an eye on this as I too need different HR24's.
will they activate an hr 24 still. i read mixed feelings on this

id'e replace the fan before i got locked into anther 2!!!

I called the DirecTv customer service line. The rep told me that no HR24s were available, that they could only send the client/server devices. I gently asked him if he would check further, and after MUCH back and forth with "Please sir stay on the line I'm so sorry this is taking so long" (and it did take a long time) finally got the word that his supervisor approved sending me a replacement HR24.

I called the DirecTv customer service line. The rep told me that no HR24s were available, that they could only send the client/server devices. I gently asked him if he would check further, and after MUCH back and forth with "Please sir stay on the line I'm so sorry this is taking so long" (and it did take a long time) finally got the word that his supervisor approved sending me a replacement HR24.
They ARE out there ... they may be OLD, but they have to be available till they have a replacement for it or they close as a business.

• Sadly they still want $200 for something that is this old. (Solidsignal)
    HR24_0.JPG
  • HR24_1.JPG
  • HR24_2.JPG
  • HR24_3.JPG
  • HR24_4.JPG
  • HR24_5.JPG
  • HR24_6.JPG
  • HR24_7.JPG

product-video
product-video

DIRECTV Residential HD Receiver with DVR and Remote (HR24)​

• Brand: DIRECTV
  • P\N: HR24
  • UPC: 798304149012

Availability: In Stock
Your Price: $199.00Listing Price: $399.99
-+
ADD TO CART
ADD TO QUOTE

• Sadly they still want $200 for something that is this old. (Solidsignal)
    HR24_0.JPG
  • HR24_1.JPG
  • HR24_2.JPG
  • HR24_3.JPG
  • HR24_4.JPG
  • HR24_5.JPG
  • HR24_6.JPG
  • HR24_7.JPG

product-video
product-video

DIRECTV Residential HD Receiver with DVR and Remote (HR24)​

• Brand: DIRECTV
  • P\N: HR24
  • UPC: 798304149012

Availability: In Stock
Your Price: $199.00Listing Price: $399.99
-+
ADD TO CART
ADD TO QUOTE
Are these NEW or ‎Refurbished ???

I have 2 decrepit HR24's that seriously need replacing .... I haven't bothered to call about them being replaced yet.
Seeing they still have the archaic rule about having more than 1 Genie on an account.

Last edited:
Are these NEW or ‎Refurbished ???

I have 2 decrepit HR24's that seriously need replacing .... I haven't bothered to call about them being replaced yet.
Seeing they still have the archaic rule about having more than 1 Genie on an account.
A NEW HR24? Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!

They are coming from a place that sells stuff ... not used stuff, so you would think they would be new.
I can see if it comes from D*, being used, but not from a different company.

How can they still ask FULL price for a Used item ?
They are refurbished to be like new. Actually they probably have a lower failure rate than new ones do.