hr24dvr and 2 lines

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaullyWally

Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
hr24dvr

Hi Guys I am upgrading from a Direct tv h24 to an hr24 DVR ird and also got an smw lnb with one outlet for one line . i only have 1 receiver. iam told i need a power inserter. do i also need a multi switch? a friend gave me a ..dishnet ..power inserter and a.. dishnet ..switch 44. will these work and do i need both? Thanks

Hi Guys I am upgrading from a Direct tv h24 to an hr24 DVR ird and also got an smw lnb with one outlet for one line . i only have 1 receiver. iam told i need a power inserter. do i also need a multi switch? a friend gave me a ..dishnet ..power inserter and a.. dishnet ..switch 44. will these work and do i need both? Thanks

No, you do not want to hook up any of it to your D* set up.

The Power Inserter needs to be a D* PI ... Voltages are probably different from anything DISH might use.
IF you have a SWM and only ONE recvr, you should be a very easy set up.
From LNB to Ground Block to Power Inserter to recvr.

No splitter needed till you add more recvrs.

If you've got a SWM LNB (just one cable from the dish?), you should have a power inserter in the system already - this ought to be a straight up swap, no cabling setup changes required. In any case, the Dish Network stuff is not good for this scenario.

If you look and find you have been operating w/o a power inserter, well, I wouldn't count on that to keep working. You need a PI-21 in that setup to power the LNB.

Yeah if you were already on swm setup then a 21 v inserter is already there. If not then, you need one. No splitter needed

Sorry guys ... i had a slimline 5 lnb before and didnt want to use 2 lines so got a swm lnb with 1 outlet for 1 line..thanks alot for the info, you guys are great

Until i get my power inserter for a swm lnb, can i run 2 lines from my slimline 5lnb to my hr24 dvr ird and use my dvr receiver? Is there anything else i will need to get it to work with the slimline lnb? Thanks

Until i get my power inserter for a swm lnb, can i run 2 lines from my slimline 5lnb to my hr24 dvr ird and use my dvr receiver? Is there anything else i will need to get it to work with the slimline lnb? Thanks

I'm not sure if it will work or not, the SWM set up gets it's power for the LNB from the PI, where as the other set up gets it from the recvr.
You could try it and see which LNB set up it finds.
Can you use the old LNB till you get the PI ? That should work right away.

When you change the set up, make sure you go into the menus and re run the Sat Set Up to change it to SWM.

dont SWM setups only have one coax output?
If there are 4 outputs on the LNB that is the older system (2 lines for a DVR)

That will work fine - but, you got the SWM LNB to avoid the 2nd line..........You need nothing else except a 2nd BBC. Remember to remove the BBC's when you fire up the SWM LNB.

That will work fine - but, you got the SWM LNB to avoid the 2nd line..........You need nothing else except a 2nd BBC. Remember to remove the BBC's when you fire up the SWM LNB.

Ray,
So you CAN use a NON SWM set up with a SWM LNB as long as you don't hook up the PI ?

Is this what your saying ? If so, thats good to know, I've never tried that !

Ray,
So you CAN use a NON SWM set up with a SWM LNB as long as you don't hook up the PI ?

Is this what your saying ? If so, thats good to know, I've never tried that !

I have heard it will work, but maybe not for long. The power inserter puts out 21 volts. I think the receiver/dvr does only about 14 volts. You will burn it up pretty quickly.

I have heard it will work, but maybe not for long. The power inserter puts out 21 volts. I think the receiver/dvr does only about 14 volts. You will burn it up pretty quickly.

Chip,
Not in the instance that I was pointing out, I was using it UNTIL I would have the rest of the set up.

IF you used the PI when not needed, I could see it burning up recvrs, but if you let the recvr do the work, it's only putting out 14v....

I guess maybe my question was not explained clearly.
If I have a SWM LNB, but not the PI yet, can I set up the SWM LNB and use it in a non SWM set up as long as I don't but the PI in the line.

Thinking ahead here, I had time to set the dish and wanted to swap out the SWM while I was there, but sub didn't have the PI yet, could I go ahead and make the swap and he would still have signal and be able to run the recvrs as a normal non SWM set up till the PI was inserted ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)