HR2x / HR34 External Hard Drive FYI/Support (eSATA)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What I want to know, is can you keep switching between the external and internal drives or does it want to move stuff from the internal to the external and shut off the internal permenately?

You can switch, it just isn't convient. You must power down the HR20 and plug/unplug the drive, then cold reboot.

And everyone knows the HR20 doesn't boot quickly :)

It uses some linux format. When you plug it into the HR20 and boot, the HR20 automatically formats the drive clean for it's system. You can't read it on windows, etc.

There is no reason to use a 250gb drive, as it is equal to what is in the system already, or possibly smaller. If smaller it won't work at all. If equal, it might work, but you would see no storage gain.

Unless he has the internal drive full and has another one sitting around he wants to use !

Jimbo

Plain wrong on a few counts !
<skip>
You can't read it on windows, etc.
->Yes, you can - use UFS Explorer.
There is no reason to use a 250gb drive, as it is equal to what is in the system already, or possibly smaller.
->Current disk is 320 GB size.
If smaller it won't work at all.
->Plain 160 GB disk works OK.
If equal, it might work,
->It will works.
but you would see no storage gain.
->Correct. :p

Also, there are three partitons on internal 320 GB disk:
- 0.5 GB - SWAP
- 15 GB - system logs, etc; XFS type
- 300 GB - RAW partitions with recordings.

What is the GB to HD Hours recorded equation? Earlier poster referred to 100hours HD with 750GB drive...is that a hard, fast rule? Obviously the SD takes up less space than HD, so it could vary. Also, how much space are we going to see saved when D* goes all (or mostly all) MPEG4?

Its definitely all over the board for time based on source. An OTA and MPEG2 HD take up more room then the MPEG4 HD programs. I read its 50 hours for MPEG4 HD at the 300 GB drives so I would expect is more like 35 hours for OTA and MPEG2 HD. So a 750 GB drive should give you something like 125 hours of MPEG4 HD. Just like MPG stats, actually results will vary.

Just tested Hitachi 1 TB as internal disk - same size for first two partitions, last one got a rest - 916 GB.

EDIT. Windows shows partitions' size in MB.

Attachments

• HR20-1TB.JPG
    HR20-1TB.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Just tested Hitachi 1 TB as internal disk - same size for first two partitions, last one got a rest - 916 GB.

EDIT. Windows shows partitions' size in MB.

This is an internal, correct ??
Do you use an internal and buy a enclosure for it, it still has to have a eSATA connection to fit the rec , you still cannot use a USB, as I am finding the majority of them use Is this info correct ?
I was under the impression that it had to be an External drive, with a sata connection.

I understand that the sata connection is much faster, probably why they don't want you to use the USB.

Jimbo

IMO this is a half ass solution, with no way to organize files between disks. It just seems so stupid not to allow storage on multiple NAS boxes like the Infrant boxes over ethernet. What do you do if you want to sit down and watch all of Deadwood for instance when its spread over say 3 drives? In order to get a particular series on one disk you have to turn everything off and plug in that disk right before the show starts? That will suck if you have two programs recording at the same time. Just seems like a mess. Even a 1 TB drive will fill up faster than you may think.

IMO this is a half ass solution, with no way to organize files between disks. It just seems so stupid not to allow storage on multiple NAS boxes like the Infrant boxes over ethernet. What do you do if you want to sit down and watch all of Deadwood for instance when its spread over say 3 drives? In order to get a particular series on one disk you have to turn everything off and plug in that disk right before the show starts? That will suck if you have two programs recording at the same time. Just seems like a mess. Even a 1 TB drive will fill up faster than you may think.

So your saying that if you go with the 2 drives (2 750's for example) you cannot put them together so they read as one, making it a 1.5 TB ?

As you can tell I don't know very much about this perticular area.

Jimbo

Yes you can put 2 750 GB drives together in an array enclosure that will combine the amounts and look like one drive to the OS. I was going to do this but I just dont see myself needing 250 hours of anything. I have 100 - 150 hours HD between 3 DVR's and that is more than enough. With my 750 eSATA coming, that will jump to 225 or so. Thats enough for me.

Yes you can put 2 750 GB drives together in an array enclosure that will combine the amounts and look like one drive to the OS. I was going to do this but I just dont see myself needing 250 hours of anything. I have 100 - 150 hours HD between 3 DVR's and that is more than enough. With my 750 eSATA coming, that will jump to 225 or so. Thats enough for me.

I mainly am thinking that I could then record TV season episodes and not have to delete them, or record important Football games and not have disc space become a problem.

The best I have seen locally is BB and a 750 Seagate is running $ 279 - 25 rebate I think it was.
But I would like to stay under $ 500 for a total of 1 or 1.5 TB set up
I don't know if it's possible or not, but well see.

Jimbo

Yes you can put 2 750 GB drives together in an array enclosure that will combine the amounts and look like one drive to the OS.

So would you be buying "Internal drives ", and place them in an enclosure ?
You would then have to make sure that the internal drives also had sata connections as well, correct ???

Jimbo

I have two HR20s with 750 seagate drives.

I use one recorder for sports (two baseball teams recorded every day, plus several football / hockey games in HD during winter) and for movies during the overnight/morning hours.

The other is used for all the shows I watch, anything I watch live, and overflow (when I have more than 2 events). I use it for longer term storeage, for example, the entire live earth concerts were recorded on it.

Four months in and the sport/movie recorder averages 30-50% of the drive empty, and the the other recorder is 50-70% empty.

I keep 10-20 movies recorded at any given time for when the wife says she wants to watch one.

The third recorder I have (with regular drive) is used by my wife for whatever she watches and the kids shows.

So would you be buying "Internal drives ", and place them in an enclosure ?
You would then have to make sure that the internal drives also had sata connections as well, correct ???

Jimbo

Doesn't have to be SATA, but it is faster so I would recomend it.

You use a Raid-0 config to have the drives combine to make the HR20 think it is one big drive. Some enclosures have two bays, some have up to five. It would be a great way to expand when needed.

Something I dont' know - if you add a drive later to an enclosure does it just add space or is the HR20 going to see a different size overall dirve, and erase all the drives?:eek:

NO - not USB. The enclosure must be e-SATA.

The drives inside can be SATA or PATA for example, they don't have to be SATA, but I would recomend it as it is faster.

Dont even think about anything but SATA. And with an enclosure or RAID you can buy any SATA drive out there. Frys already sold out of the drive I got but keep looking. At less than 200 a piece, you can buy 2 and put together a great RAID 0 configuration as Masterdeals suggested. As 1 TB drives become more prevalent, the price of 750 ones are going to drop.

Doesn't have to be SATA, but it is faster so I would recomend it.

You use a Raid-0 config to have the drives combine to make the HR20 think it is one big drive. Some enclosures have two bays, some have up to five. It would be a great way to expand when needed.

Something I dont' know - if you add a drive later to an enclosure does it just add space or is the HR20 going to see a different size overall dirve, and erase all the drives?:eek:
Erase. Actually it will happen in the enclosure. I'm little bit puzzled when some ppl claim there is an enclosures ( actually with HW RAID controller ) what could rebuild partition when you add more drive(s). But it wouldn't do any good for HR20 - if it will get different size of logical volume (all HDDs combined by HW RAID) from the enclosure, it will reformat disk without warning and 'last chance' request.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)