HR2x & R22 CE Release 7/3 v.032F

Really weird. The few times I've lost the report option just rerunning network setup brought it back.

My wife is upstairs watching a show from the downstairs unit via mrv, no problems.

When i tried to watch something that was stored on the upstairs unit on the downstairs unit, I get 4-5 seconds of gray screen followed by "unable to access media"

When I went to send a report, no report option in Misc menu. Went to network and told it to redo the network setup, which reported success. Report option then reappeared in the misc menu.

Report # 20090704-3538

Rebooting the upstairs unit fixed the problem, report was for the downstairs unit.

So the upstairs MRV server went down, but the MRV client was able to pull from the downstairs. Downstairs had the merged playlist, but couldnt play the upstairs content.

Never got the "unable to access media" error before.

I've tried a couple things with this CE to get out of restarting so frequently due to losing MRV server or shared list and I don't know if my results are due to both changes in tandem or individually but anyways I found the STB ports for audio and video had reversed themselves when I got a message that "no audio/video packets received" in the L/R (the STB audio and video ports were swapped on B/R and restarting B/R HR22 reverted them back and got the MRV server up again).

FIRST THING I TRIED (to eliminate possible port errors): So I thought I should go to a "Manual Configuration Type" under "Network Services". (Starting & connecting are two different things and since I have my HR22's connected to each other for MRV, I didn't forward the ports on my router so I get a message that says that Network Services Started but connect test failed error for network services but it doesn't inhibit MRV or DirecTv2PC or even VOD but I did notice that the STB status indicator under "More System Info" remains at 5000 rather the usual increment up on updating that it was doing). I had hoped that would get me out of the usual restarts to get MRV server going again when one goes down but it didn't.

Second Thing I Tried: (System Test via the "Test Connection" link under 'Network" to restart MRV Server) But I did find that if I go to the HR22 that still has MRV playback capability and menu navigate to "NETWORK" then 'Test Connection" and then click "Run System Test" that I can get the MRV server going again with playback on both HR22's without causing list problems. Worked once, I'll try that first when it happens again.

Last edited:
I'll have to try it, because it went out again last night. Receiver was operating perfectly but my wife was getting 503 errors from directv2pc. Worked fine after a reboot.

So it seems to have lasted 2.5 days between download and first failure, but gets hosed daily since then.

I did snoop the network traffic yesterday. Lots of SSDP's (service discovery, looking for new boxes I guess) between the HR20's. Some packets looking for my home theater pc that has viiv and playon running on it, although the computer was turned off. So fairly normal stuff. I'll have to scope a normal MRV network session and then get one again when it fails. I suspect that I wont be able to tell anything from it, as I'm sure the failures are occuring inside the boxes, so all I'll see are non-responses or error packets.

I've tried a couple things with this CE to get out of restarting so frequently due to losing MRV server or shared list and I don't know if my results are due to both changes in tandem or individually but anyways I found the STB ports for audio and video had reversed themselves when I got a message that "no audio/video packets received" in the L/R (the STB audio and video ports were swapped on B/R and restarting B/R HR22 reverted them back and got the MRV server up again).

FIRST THING I TRIED (to eliminate possible port errors): So I thought I should go to a "Manual Configuration Type" under "Network Services". (Starting & connecting are two different things and since I have my HR22's connected to each other for MRV, I didn't forward the ports on my router so I get a message that says that Network Services Started but connect test failed error for network services but it doesn't inhibit MRV or DirecTv2PC or even VOD but I did notice that the STB status indicator under "More System Info" remains at 5000 rather the usual increment up on updating that it was doing). I had hoped that would get me out of the usual restarts to get MRV server going again when one goes down but it didn't.

Second Thing I Tried: (System Test via the "Test Connection" link under 'Network" to restart MRV Server) But I did find that if I go to the HR22 that still has MRV playback capability and menu navigate to "NETWORK" then 'Test Connection" and then click "Run System Test" that I can get the MRV server going again with playback on both HR22's without causing list problems. Worked once, I'll try that first when it happens again.

I'll have to try it, because it went out again last night. Receiver was operating perfectly but my wife was getting 503 errors from directv2pc. Worked fine after a reboot.

So it seems to have lasted 2.5 days between download and first failure, but gets hosed daily since then.

I did snoop the network traffic yesterday. Lots of SSDP's (service discovery, looking for new boxes I guess) between the HR20's. Some packets looking for my home theater pc that has viiv and playon running on it, although the computer was turned off. So fairly normal stuff. I'll have to scope a normal MRV network session and then get one again when it fails. I suspect that I wont be able to tell anything from it, as I'm sure the failures are occuring inside the boxes, so all I'll see are non-responses or error packets.

I believe the two things I tried above w/o restart worked when I got the "Unable to view media" failure because I had a slightly different problem tonight and I just couldn't get MRV working in L/R until I restarted B/R and toggled the MultiRoomDVR in MISC. MENU on the L/R HR22.

Toggling MRVCLIENTOFF/ON or multiroomDVR or running System Test, Test Connection, or Network Services on both HR22's would not allow the L/R HR22 to see the B/R HR22. While at the same time I was able to view and playback from shared list in the B/R. So I'm guessing that one of the MRV servers must have went off-line and faulted or flagged so bad that it took a restart to get it going again. And I'm guessing again that it was the server in the B/R that went down. And I'm guessing again when I say that the server off-line caused the other HR22 in the L/R not to have shared list, or the "Filter by Playlist" option under LIST/Yellow Button (Playlist Options).

Long story condensed, I think the MRV server in B/R went off-line while I was browsing the shared list in the L/R and I found the folder I was trying to open strangely left open in the B/R when I went to verify whether I still had playback there and I still did but never got shared list, filter by playlist or MRV playback in the L/R until I restarted the B/R HR22 and toggled MultiroomDVR off/on in the L/R. I'm not sure which DVR left that folder open but I would have expected it to be closed if I exited the LIST and then opened it again. (The folder contained the same event-Roger's 15th Grand Slam- recorded on both DVR's, although playback is riddled with MRV p/b splats, I've been using it to test MRV nightly because it seems mine goes down every night.)

I could have saved time just restarting both DVR's but I wanted to get an idea of exactly is going on and I hope my guessing and posting helps someone else to either explain it better or even fix the problem.

It's late but I'm going to send the Report from the B/R later in the day and update this post with the number. (Updated; MRV working for the moment)

SENT REPORT # 20090709-23C9 FROM B/R HR22

IF NEEDED, REPORT # 20090907-2A08 WAS SENT FROM L/R HR22

Last edited:
Looked at my todo list and history last night, unfortunately.

Lots of shows in the history listed as "partial" with "unable to retain the program" as a reason code. IIRC I watched all of those shows and they seemed fine. I'm starting to reminisce about the good old "unexpected error 22/14/124/hike" codes.

I had one series link (stargate atlantis) set for record both/all. There were 8 episodes in the guide, none scheduled to record, none conflicting. I was able to manually tell it to record all of them. I deleted the manual recordings, it went back to (0) episodes to record on the series link. I deleted and recreated the series link and all 8 episodes showed up as scheduled to record.

While looking at this, I noticed that with the exception of the stargate atlantis series link that I deleted and recreated, nothing was scheduled to record past ~3 days. Checked the other receiver at it too had this malady. I forced a double reboot to flush the guide data.

This morning, same problem. Both units appear to not want to schedule anything on the todo list past 3 days, although it did fill in mondays shows overnight it stopped there, except for recordings I've explicitly recorded or new series links.

So basically it appears to be working, but doesnt want to enumerate the to-do list further than 3 days. I have ~40-50 shows in the to-do instead of the usual 150-200.

I wonder if the stargate atlantis thing has anything to do with sci-fi changing to sy-fy. Due to the sheer stupidity and senselesness of that move, the receiver may have just refused to record any more shows from the channel ;)

Got another audio problem with MRV; no audio when MRV or DirecTv2PC streaming from B/R HR22.

I've mentioned in previous threads I've noticed folders already open when I normally have them closed when I open shared list and then later I get various MRV failures. This time I had the unexpected folder open issue but all was well but about two hours later I noticed lost audio output of B/R.

Running system test on B/R resolved the problem but again I found another list issue; the L/R shows a recording in progress in the B/R which had already completed.

Sent Report # 20090710-14D2 from B/R HR22 prior to new CE d/l.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts