HR2x / R22 CE Release v.0339 7/17 & 7/18

HR20-100
Diagnostics report 20090720-4EB

Severe pixellation when viewing recorded SD programs on DVR. HD programs are fine. Did not have this problem before CE.

I'm still getting plenty of splats especially during two-way MRV. And like clockwork, MRV ground to a halt for the fourth week in a row in the middle of the day today (monday) requiring a reboot of both receivers to get it back.

If all else holds the same, by sometime on thursday or early friday they'll cinch up again and need another reboot.

Hey cfb, have you tried the manual port forwarding in Network Services since this problem started? My HR-22's seem to prefer this setting. It helps with maintaining the shared list and keeping MRV servers up but in no way does it help the continual SPLATS.

I've even had them plugged directly into each other and both plugged into a switch without the router, so they'd form their own p2p network and use their own settings. Same results no matter how i've done it.

In about 2.5 days, one of the receivers MRV server just stops responding to mrv or directv2pc requests. The client on that receiver keeps working for a while. If I let it slide for a few hours, eventually that receiver with the flaked out MRV server will grind to a halt and freeze. Sometimes its one receiver, sometimes the other.

Sometimes turning mrv off and on from the misc menu makes the server come back online. Lately though that just spurs it along to freeze during the off/on process.

MRV worked fine for me, except for the bug where the playlist jumped back to the top all the time, for the first ~4 weeks. Just the last 4 that its been doing this.

Thats the first leg, the friday night to monday afternoon. I reboot both receivers and they last longer on the second leg, usually until sometime thursday or even friday morning before one of the MRV servers drops off.

On one release about 3 weeks ago, the MRV server had a hard time staying up for more than an hour or two, same symptoms.

This, and the splats, are common issues with both receivers, utilizing three different switches (my asus routers switch, a rock solid netgear 10/100 and the new netgear gigabit switch), and I've tested and swapped the cables around. No real change in the behavior.

I've even used the cables at gigabit speeds between two pc's with no errors or problems transferring huge amounts of data back and forth.

My wife noticed that if the L/R HR22 is recording a show (in-progress) that the B/R HR22 will not show it on the shared list until later. This happened last night and again this afternoon. I tested the MRV playback on both HR22's and it's still functioning.

Just seems there should be a conversation between both boxes when bringing up playlist. I see this delay like the shared list is rebuilding from scratch after a restart or CE download but not after that. The delay in waiting for a shared list to rebuild after restart is not long or annoying; it would be nice to have a refresh button that did the same thing (rebuild a fresh shared list) under the yellow playlist options instead of having to jump through hoops to get servers conversing again to get shared list updated again.

Just a thought, why not only update the shared list when it's opened rather than letting the servers precariously waste processor time keeping it maintained on its own. (Which doesn't appear to work well or be maintained days into a CE). Which makes me wonder if the same shouldn't be done for the servers themselves; rather than leaving them up, shut them down until a valid request is received. The friendly chatter between STB's and network could also be a waste of processor time and should be limited to setup or system test. I would also like to tell my HR22's what its priorities are: Recordings, MRV (when I'm using it), remote response, watching TV, VOD (when I'm using it), (rarely use DirecTv2PC and only use Mediashare to view pictures once in a blue moon). And DirecTv's maintenance or TOS could and should be limited to STANDBY according to my history of PPV (NONE; & I don't want my hard drive loaded & primed for any On-Demand PPV).

Hey cfb, have you tried the manual port forwarding in Network Services since this problem started? My HR-22's seem to prefer this setting. It helps with maintaining the shared list and keeping MRV servers up but in no way does it help the continual SPLATS.

My wife noticed that if the L/R HR22 is recording a show (in-progress) that the B/R HR22 will not show it on the shared list until later. This happened last night and again this afternoon. I tested the MRV playback on both HR22's and it's still functioning.

I need to correct myself on the maintaining of shared list. The B/R had actually stopped adding new remote recordings to its shared list and did not update the shared list until I went to L/R and stopped MRV CLIENT (MISC. OPTIONS/MultiroomDVR/OFF) and turned the CLIENT back on with k/w search (BTW, recent search works also). As cfb reports, this happened some time Monday afternoon and was preceded by a lag in updating deleted entries.

I lost the ability to see added remote recordings in B/R only and the MRV playback was still working on both HR22's. I have no idea if report contains such a record confirming this but it may be riddled with tuner and signal errors but they can be disregarded. I was troubleshooting a failed B Band Converter and installed it Tuesday. With all the restarts I done on the L/R, switching from dual to single and back to dual tuner when finally replacing with new B Band Converter, the shared list on B/R never recovered until I went back to L/R and cycled the CLIENT OFF/ON.

Just trying to state facts correctly. And since I don't like redundant steps, cycling the CLIENT OFF/ON without restart will be the first thing I try next time. I had actually tried this on the B/R HR22 first but made no difference. I had also tried some work arounds that had worked in the past ("Repeat Network Setup" and "Test Connection/System Test" on both HR22's) with no success prior to that.

For the moment, all is well with exception of video splatting on MRV playback.

Sent Report # 20090722-15D6 from L/R HR22.

I need to correct myself on the maintaining of shared list. The B/R had actually stopped adding new remote recordings to its shared list and did not update the shared list until I went to L/R and stopped MRV CLIENT (MISC. OPTIONS/MultiroomDVR/OFF) and turned the CLIENT back on with k/w search (BTW, recent search works also). As cfb reports, this happened some time Monday afternoon and was preceded by a lag in updating deleted entries.

I lost the ability to see added remote recordings in B/R only and the MRV playback was still working on both HR22's...but the shared list on B/R never recovered until I went back to L/R and cycled the CLIENT OFF/ON.

Just trying to state facts correctly. And since I don't like redundant steps, cycling the CLIENT OFF/ON without restart will be the first thing I try next time. I had actually tried this on the B/R HR22 first but made no difference. I had also tried some work arounds that had worked in the past ("Repeat Network Setup" and "Test Connection/System Test" on both HR22's) with no success prior to that.

For the moment, all is well with exception of video splatting on MRV playback.

Well it seems cycling the CLIENT OFF/ON was only updating the shared list with one refresh and ceasing to update any further each time I tried this. L/R shared list was changing in real time but B/R was not. I finally restarted the B/R HR22 and noted that if I deleted a remote recording in the L/R that I could see the shared list update promptly.

Prior to the restart, shows were being added and deleted but not showing any change for remote recordings in the B/R unless I cycled CLIENTOFF/ON in L/R. MRV continued to work in both rooms but not much good in B/R unless I could actually see the true shared list.

Well for the 1st time in a LONG time I put both my HR20 and the bedroom H21 on the national release. The previous CE was just was not playing nice. I think it was the HR20's CE. I will try the new CE this week if we have one.

Finally I figured out MRV, it was combining both playlists into one, ultimately I liked the way it worked. Have been using just fine since Sat, now today I watched show, and then went to watch another and got an error, unable to access AKE. Then the multi-room quit working, I have uploaded a diagnostic report with the following key 20090723-310A, now that the diagnostic is done, time to reboot and see if that fixes the problem. If not, I'll post again.

Well it seems cycling the CLIENT OFF/ON was only updating the shared list with one refresh and ceasing to update any further each time I tried this. L/R shared list was changing in real time but B/R was not. I finally restarted the B/R HR22 and noted that if I deleted a remote recording in the L/R that I could see the shared list update promptly.

Thursday afternoon, I lost one of my folders in the shared list on the B/R HR22 only. Cycled CLIENTOFF/ON to get it back but I may still have to do a restart on same box tomorrow (again) if it stops updating the shared list again. As I reported last week, neither of the last two CE's like the fact I'm recording the same series link on both HR22's (I do that silly thing because my two year old lacks the patience to wait for me to fix MRV with restarts if I happen to be in the wrong room when MRV hiccups again).

The last two CE's problems has been with Shared List & Folders and I would like to see an upcoming CE update/refresh the shared list only when one is opened to hopefully prevent the need for frequent restarts.

Report # 20090805-207E from BR
Report # 20090805-26BF from LR

I realize that this CE is not current and after I sent the report, I found the problem was one that had been reported except that I hadn't noticed the activity on my router log before and I'm not sure if my router is correctly setup to block or accept certain TCP or ports.

Here is the questionable router activity:

1) My BR HR22-100 STB port 27161 as configured in Network Services has incoming INTERNET connection to 8.3.161.214, TCP port 37627 with status as, "the server system has requested that the connection be stopped"

2) At same time, BR HR22-100 had an outgoing UDP port 32771 to my configured DNS as found in report above.

3) My router is blocking TCP packets from 174.132.114.156:80 and 208.43.123.49:80 to my dynamic IP address, ports 3072 & 1024 due to "Unexpected Sequence" (Router "SPI" is enabled to inspect packet data).

The problem I observed was the BR HR22-100 had a hiccup in UPL (one recording showed as belonging to LOCAL LIST but was in fact on REMOTE LIST and could not be deleted from BR and the BR MRV server must have dropped off-line because I lost the "Filter by Playlist" option under yellow button in LIST on LR HR22-100. But UPL still showing on both HR22-100's. Nonetheless, a RBR got MRV playback and UPL corrected.

I know I should have loaded the latest CE but one of my HDTV's is having problems with display and will not show picture on power-up half the time and the company I had my extended warranty through defaulted and had no insured liability against it. Directv2pc is working here but only one PC in-house and it's kept busy doing other things most of the time. My resources and options are limited at this time; thanks Directv for MRV, as long it's still available; I'll use it!

I may likely have faired better by not posting this. Remove or ignore it accordingly. I felt compelled to post it since I did send the reports. If it's totally meaningless, I apologize.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)