HR34 and corrupted recordings.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
Since we switched out 1 HR24 for this new HR34 we've had intermittent issues with recordings not playing back correctly. I've been watching this and asking my wife questions and I have it narrowed down to only happening on recordings on the HR34. Most of the time it's a matter of watching something that was recorded previously and part way through the recording it just stops. The picture is frozen in place. If you advance using the skip ahead of fast forward, the time line at the bottom shows it advancing, but the picture remains frozen. We've tried restarting the playback, resuming, all kinds of stuff. Resuming simply does not work. You go back to the recording with picture frozen right where it was. Starting over plays fine and gets to the same point and freezes again.

Happens on various channels. No pattern there that I can find. But this happens to her once or twice a week. She DVRs a lot of stuff and is often missing an episode because the recorded content is screwed up in some fasion.

Anyone else experiencing this?

We also frequently find a recording has started 10 or 20 minutes into the program. Like the program started on time, but the recording didn't.

My HR24 was very reliable. The HR34 is noce, but.... not sure what's going on with these recordings.

Looking for suggestions. I have done a reset and also a complete power down reset. Still happens.

Does it do it playing the HR34 recordings on the HR34, other dvrs (via whole home) or both?

Sounds like a hard drive issue if local, or a network issue if only on whole-home viewing.

If it does it while watching on the HR34, I suggest running some hard drive tests (reboot, hit select on the testing blue screen (third one I think) to enter diagnostic mode, then do the hard drive tests).

It does it whether we are playing the recording on the HR34 or FROM the HR34 to the HR24 in the bedroom.
I think I need to start an actual log to record (no pun intended) information about each occurence.
Which DVR (to make sure it's only on the HR34)
Channel being recorded
Date information
Program being recorded (not sure how relevant this is, but...)
Point of Freeze (the timeline shows this so should be easy... does it freeze randomly or at the same point... 10 minutes in, 20 minutes in... each time?)

Can you think of anything else that might be helpful to tech support? I know intermittent issues are teh worst. I'd like to provide as much good information as I can.

Tech support will end up having you do the "reset everything" which will wipe the hard drive and return the DVR to factory state, which is not a bad idea. If it is a corrupt file table or something that may fix it. Then they'll tell you if the problem returns to call back and they'll send a replacement DVR. Or they could try setting up a tech visit but that most likely would not be necessary in my eyes.

Personally I would test that hard drive with the diagnostics at bootup, that sounds like the most likely issue. If it is bad and you call with the error code from the diagnostics it would make the support call faster (I would hope anyway).

do you watch pandora or youtube or do other internet-related activity or apps with that receiver before the playback freezing problems?

I know in my C31 client, if I watch youtube videos and then watch a DVR, the playback of the DVR event will freeze frequently (usually about every 60 secs) and I have to hit the "back 6 seconds" to unfreeze it yet have it freeze up again a min later.

I turn off and back on the genie (or reboot the HR34/C31) and I don't have that issue if I stay away from the youtube app.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)