HR34 Coaxial audio out to Samsung receiver optical input issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dmobin

Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
I'm new here and I recently switched back to DirecTV from cable (was a customer from 03 - 2010, switched to cable to get a deal, when that deal ended went back to Direct to get a deal there:p)

I am having issues with getting digital audio output from my DirectTV into my Samsung surround sound receiver, here are the issues:

1. Purchased converter from Coaxial to Optical from Monoprice (same converter EVERYONE posts about) and connected it between the Genie (Coaxial out) to the Samsung (Optical in).

2. Turned the Dolby Digital on in the HR34 settings

3. set the Samsung to Digital In for the audio option

4. No sound.

The Samsung doesn't have an HDMI in (it wasn't the top of the line but it works for us, don't judge:eek:) so I can't go that route.

First I though it was an issue with the converter, Monoprice to the rescue, send me a new one and a new cable and told me to keep the old one, LOVE THEM! Hooked that one in and same issue, no sound.

To test the converter I connected another DVD player I had in the house that had Coaxial output to the converter and it worked fine, that tells me the converter box works and the input on the Samsung still works.

I haven't called DirectTV yet. I plan on doing that this week, but I read someone on another forum that had a similar issue with a Samsung surround sound, I asked them what model to see if they were the same and haven't heard back.

What is the possibility that the issue is with the signal coming out of the DirectTV being incompatible with the Samsung when it processes through the converter box?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Does your TV have optical out? Or any audio outputs?

Most tv's will have a delay if you try to connect the sound out of DVR's etc...to receivers directly. By connecting it through the tv, you get rid of any possible delay and you still get full surround sound if you use the HDMI cable to connect directv to your tv.

With most TVs, this won't work. Most TVs do not output DD 5.1 on their optical output unless the signal was over-the-air ATSC. All you get (for example if the signal was from DirecTV over HDMI) is PCM stereo.

Can't believe I didn't think of this, all that time trying to figure out the converter from coaxial to optical and totally forgot to try the optical output on the TV. Got a 6ft optical audio cable today from Monocable (only had a 1.5 ft one before since the Sat box is right next to the surround sound receiver) and hooked it up today. Sound it clear, and sounds the same as when I had the cable box digital audio output directly into the receiver, from watching a few HD shows and movies today it sounds like 5.1 to me.

Thanks for the reply and the help!

Seems to be working on my Vizio, sounds so much better than the PCM stereo coming directly from the Genie to the receiver that I had hooked up previously.

I'm not an audiophile, but it sounds like 5.1 on the HD movies and shows I watched today. Guess the test will be the Super Bowl tomorrow night.

This is funny because I have the same setup, got the same converter, and can't get the sound out of the HR34 to my samsung BR player. I would rather not use the T.V., as we like to turn on the D* receiver and listen to the music stations, and turn the T.V. off. Am I missing a setting on the HR34?

Did you set the HR34 to output DD 5.1? And which Samsung BR player do you have?
This is funny because I have the same setup, got the same converter, and can't get the sound out of the HR34 to my samsung BR player. I would rather not use the T.V., as we like to turn on the D* receiver and listen to the music stations, and turn the T.V. off. Am I missing a setting on the HR34?

Yes, I tried it with DD, and without. I have the cheaper converter from MP also. The Samsung BR player / Surround sound is the HT D4500. When I got it a year ago, I thought it would simplify things, but I guess I was wrong. It sounds pretty good for a cheap little system in a box, but of course lacks the inputs. I know the input on the player works, used it with an Xbox, and there is a red light coming from the converter, so I am assuming it is working.
I was hoping I was just missing some stupid setting, but it appears that I might not be able to get this to work. Versus buying the more expensive adapter, I think I might just start saving my pennies for a better receiver this year. Like I said, I was trying to keep it simple, mostly for the wife. She thinks it would be easier flying the space shuttle than trying to watch netflix on the Xbox with surround sound. :)

OK, there are two features of the A/V system that might be affecting this. First, tune the DirecTv receiver to a channel that should be receiving DD 5.1 Based on your previous posts, the indicator will show you are only receiving PCM, correct? Now go into the menu of the A/V system and look at the HDMI audio setting. If it is set to "on", set it to "off". Does the indicator change to show DD 5.1? If so, you've solved the problem. With HDMI audio set to "on". the A/V system downmixes the received audio to PCM stereo, because the TV can't handle DD 5.1 Since you are using the A/v system speakers, you should not be sending the audio to the TV at all.
If that does not work, turn the Tv off (unplug it to be sure). Does the A/V system now indicate it is getting DD 5.1? If it does, it is the "anynet" system that is causing the downmix. Anynet allows the TV to control the functions of the A/V receiver, and it is possible it may be telling the A/V system to downmix the audio to PCM.

Post back with the results.

Status
Please reply by conversation.