HR34 Opitcal??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

00blackout

Original poster
May 18, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Hello everyone,

Just found and joined this forum today, hoping to have someone help me out with my question. Had the Direct tech come out today and install the HR34. First thing he noticed is there is no optical input on this reciever and he had no idea how to connect the audio to my surround sound with it. I called Direct and they stated to use the digital audio input with my reciever. Long story short, we could not get this to work on the receiver. Maybe he was hooking it up to the incorrect spot on the receiver not sure. Any help would be appreciated BTW the reciever is a Denon AVR 1707. Thanks everyone.

I had the same issue. I used the digital rca output. It has an orange center in it. Just use a regular rca cable (the red/white or red/white/yellow) and use the red (or other one, it does not matter). and plug it into the directv receiver, then connect it to the digital rca input of your receiver. If it has optical input it more than likely has the digial rca input also (with the orange center). Then you just need to change your receiver to use that input.

Works fine for me, getting full dolby digital.

"First thing he noticed is there is no optical input on this reciever and he had no idea how to connect the audio to my surround sound with it." = OMG!?!?

Also, did you happen to have your owner's manual handy?

Hello 00blackout,

:welcome

I can give you a start in the right direction. If you do not have a manual for the Denon AVR-1707 you can download it at:

Denon | Downloads | DENON US

See page # 9 (same on page # 14) on the left half it shows DVD player or the TV/DBS tuner (like an HR34) optical out to AVR-1707 receiver in. See page 19 and beyond to make the correct input selection(s). I hope this helps. If not I am sure that someone else more knowledge will be able to provide more assistance.

Hello everyone,

Just found and joined this forum today, hoping to have someone help me out with my question. Had the Direct tech come out today and install the HR34. First thing he noticed is there is no optical input on this reciever and he had no idea how to connect the audio to my surround sound with it. I called Direct and they stated to use the digital audio input with my reciever. Long story short, we could not get this to work on the receiver. Maybe he was hooking it up to the incorrect spot on the receiver not sure. Any help would be appreciated BTW the reciever is a Denon AVR 1707. Thanks everyone.

I WOULD highly suggest that you refer to your Denon AVR 1707 owners manual for set up(I'm looking at a PDF copy of it right now trying to find the section on setting up digital audio sound for your HR34). First off,do you have a digital audio cable(versus a digital optical cable)?

Hello 00blackout,

:welcome

I can give you a start in the right direction. If you do not have a manual for the Denon AVR-1707 you can download it at:

Denon | Downloads | DENON US

See page # 9 (same on page # 14) on the left half it shows DVD player or the TV/DBS tuner (like an HR34) optical out to AVR-1707 receiver in. See page 19 and beyond to make the correct input selection(s). I hope this helps. If not I am sure that someone else more knowledge will be able to provide more assistance.

Go to page 41 of the manual & it will help you for setting up which digital audio input(COAX 1/COAX 2) to the source(COAX 1 TV).

WOW, a ton of great responses! Thanks for the help everyone. I think I figured out the cable just need to go through the manuel some more and figure out the settings.

On many receivers you have to program the audio source for each of the video sources. For example if you have Directv as Video 1 you may have to set up your Denon so audio on Video 1 is digital (SPDF). On my receiver it's a menu setting and took some manual reading to do. I'm assuming you meant the HR34 didn't have an optical output rather than input.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

new install and dvr playback problems

Any fees to downgrade package?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts