HR34 Will Not Boot...Dead...Dead...Dead

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nickg420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Flowery Branch, Ga
Usually leave SonicTap playing while we sleep at night and awoke to the "Cannot Find Server" screen...I figured there may have been an issue during the software upgrade that is supposed to be rolling out...I came out to the living room to reset the HR34 only to find that it simply is unresponsive.

It acts like it is going to reset and that is all it will do...It never brings up a DirecTV welcome screen or anything...Let me also preface this by saying that in the last week it has randomly reboot itself twice....Am I looking at a possible hard drive failure here? Or is there some magical button press, Ninjistu kickflip trick to make this thing boot up again long enough to watch some stuff I have recorded before I lose all my recordings??

Its possible that its a hard drive going, but you say its Dead, if you have power, its not entirely dead, yet.

Try unplugging from the outlet for a bit, 10 minutes or so, then plug it back in and see what happens.
Also at the same time, unplug the Power Supply, be sure to plug the PS back in Before you do the recvr., let it boot up entirely before plugging the recvr in.

How many recvrs are we dealing with?
When you unplug the PS, youll lose service to the others as well, just so you know.

Keep us updated.

I've done that...I disconnected the power from the back of the receiver for about 10 minutes...When I plugged it back in, it turned on the blue DirecTV logo on the front of the receiver but never does anything beyond that....

I haven't tried unplugging the power supply too....I assume you mean the SWiM power supply....I will try that next...

And we only have the HR34 and 2 C31 Clients in 2 bedrooms....So we are without TV....Thank God for Netflix and Amazon...

I've done that...I disconnected the power from the back of the receiver for about 10 minutes...When I plugged it back in, it turned on the blue DirecTV logo on the front of the receiver but never does anything beyond that....

I haven't tried unplugging the power supply too....I assume you mean the SWiM power supply....I will try that next...

And we only have the HR34 and 2 C31 Clients in 2 bedrooms....So we are without TV....Thank God for Netflix and Amazon...

Yes, the SWM Power Supply. .. make sure you turn thm back on the wat I explained earlier, this way everything sees one another correctly.

Ok tried that and it does nothing when you plug it all back in but act like it's going to come on. You can't turn it off... Completely unresponsive...Resetting it does nothing...It's almost as if it gets stuck at first boot...Weird...

have to ask..are you sure the TV is on the right input setting? If you had a power outage during the night the TV might have reset to the antenna setting (even a power blink can do it)
If the TV's on the wrong input, its possible the receiver IS doing something, but your not seeing it..

If he is seeing the Directv logo, he's on the right input.

It is on the right input...and DTV logo I am referring to is on the front panel of the receiver.....That's the only light that ever comes on....And the receiver is completely unresponsive....

So tech came out...Could not revive the machine. So they replaced it...Which sucks because I had over 2 weeks of recordings on there having been out of town on business for awhile...I am a little angry about losing them all TBPH...

So tech came out...Could not revive the machine. So they replaced it...Which sucks because I had over 2 weeks of recordings on there having been out of town on business for awhile...I am a little angry about losing them all TBPH...
Hopefully some of the shows you lost are available on directv on demand.

have to ask..are you sure the TV is on the right input setting? If you had a power outage during the night the TV might have reset to the antenna setting (even a power blink can do it)
If the TV's on the wrong input, its possible the receiver IS doing something, but your not seeing it..

I missed where he said the logo was on the front of the receiver. My bad, sorry.

Would be real nice if there was a way to NOT lose everything when they swap out a machine. Some way to transfer recordings to an EHD and back again or something.

either buy a nomad or DVD recorder to transfer recordings, by the way did you tried a EHD to see if its the internal drive that's the problem or not?

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

J

This is why one of these tv providers (I don't care who, rest will copy) need to make a backup cloud system so when DVR dies you don't lose your recordings.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App on my iPhone 5!

Well, if the recvr wont turn on, you really had no choice of replacing it.

Yes, it would be nice if they would come up with a way to transfer your recordings.

either buy a nomad or DVD recorder to transfer recordings, by the way did you tried a EHD to see if its the internal drive that's the problem or not?

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

He would not be able to access the EHD or the Internal drive if the recvr wont boot up.

This is why one of these tv providers (I don't care who, rest will copy) need to make a backup cloud system so when DVR dies you don't lose your recordings.

I think a cable company thought of that idea but was shot down from trying to execute that due to copyright issues.

If you watch stuff on major channels of a show like Gold Rush, you'll probably have a chance in a few days to record a reair - or not very long until they run a full day marathon of the just completed season.
If it's stuff that airs on lesser channels or is older material, it might be months or years before there is a re-air.

yes, directv on demand may be an option, but it sucks. The majority of the stuff is in SD, plus you use up ISP cap breathing room to download everything not to mention surfing the net or downloading a podcast is slower when your bandwidth is tied up downloading a show on demand.

I don't see why they can't allow you to add an external hard drive that adds to the storage instead of replaces it...You could add any really important recordings to it in case of a need for replacement. New receiver comes in you hook up the external HD and BAM! There's your saved recordings....

The DirecTV OnDemand stuff is mostly in SD and it looks horrible...And it is sooo slow....I have 30MB internet and it's still slow....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)