HR44 and 3 clients vs four HR24

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Another idea..... What about swapping one of my receivers with an hr44 and keep three hr24s. However, shutting off a tuner in each of my three DVRs to keep the limit at 8. Rewiring for an SWM 16 would be a pain.

Crazy? Thoughts?

They shouldn't be any rewiring at least indoors, everything is done outside, other than adding a power inverter near the receiver and splitter which is done outside also, All they do inside is change the satellite setup in your receivers and remove BBC's if you're still on legacy non swm system, since coax is already installed

actually, it's a problem for me. I have one lead coming off the dish and entering my home. The 4way splitter is in my crawl space with the power inserter in the crawl space. I have no desire to plumb an additional two wires out to the dish (one for power and one for 1/2 of the tuners). That's the dilemma. Also, the big SWM16 box looks ugly on the exterior of a home.

That said, I read one could energize the SWM16 with one of the two sat feeds, thereby eliminating the need for three coax coming from SWM16 (reduce to two). Is this real?

The SWM16 has to have four cables connected to the dish. And if you only use one of the outputs from the SWM16, it only supports eight tuners.......
Why do you need three coax to the SWM16 from the house, if the SWM16 is mounted outside?

And although it's not recommended, some people have the SWM16 at the dish, then two cables to the house.

if I moved to 1 HR44 and 3 HR24, that's 9 tuners. I'd need two leads from SWM 16. I'd need a coax for power to energize the swm 16. Unless, I used power on one of the two leads coming from SWM16.

Currently, I have one coax coming from dish into my house.

that's the saga of why i was contemplating going to genie clients..... i think I am learning everything I already knew..... :( errrrr......

appreciate the input. In the end, I think I might just stick with 4 HR24 receivers and be done with it.

Again, a centralized play list is what I desire with minimal rewiring......

What do you mean by "a central play list"? With whole home, you would get a single integrated playlist from the four DVRs you already have. You can play from anywhere, delete from anywhere. You can't setup new recordings centrally though, except with a genie and clients.

And yes, you power the SWM16 down one of the two coaxs.....

What do you mean by "a central play list"? With whole home, you would get a single integrated playlist from the four DVRs you already have. You can play from anywhere, delete from anywhere. You can't setup new recordings centrally though, except with a genie and clients.

And yes, you power the SWM16 down one of the two coaxs.....

Read up in the forum, I've explained a "central play list"

Thanks all. Have all info I need.

Just to add in... while you can power a swm16 via swm1 (ch1-8) and then run one second line to swm2 (ch9-16) this is not recommended..

Also a combo (hr24) will not manage the playlist of a genie or any other receiver than itself. That would actually be a great software enhancement to allow a hr24 to pick which dvr to allow recording to similar to what a h2x would do. But the H2X still won't show the season manager.

The ONLY way to end up with one season manager is with a genie and clients. And rvu tvs. Or with only one dvr in the house... just to avoid sarcasm replys.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OK so I'm going to order HR44 and 2x HR24.

Will swap out SL5S with a SL5 and run three additional wires to a SWM 16, use my existing SWS8 to feed receivers.

Now do I also need B band converters or anything like that since I'll be using a legacy LNB?

I just reconnected with DTV. They gave me an HR-44 and 3 genie mini clients, and I could not be happier. Each mini effectively acts as a separate receiver, and the server is the HR-44 which all recorded programs can be viewed by each receiver. Another positive is the low foot print of the receivers. Also, the HR44 is fast

Reactions: bmetelsky
downside is those clients use a genie tuner. you can view recorded programs from other units such as an h24 or hr24 also
and they have tuners

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)