HR44 - Can I used Ethernet? DIRECTV Says No

Status
Please reply by conversation.

U235

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
My HR44 is installed right next to my Wireless Router. I was told by the installer and an online DIRECTV support person that I could not use hard wired Ethernet to my router and that I must wirelessly connect the HR44 to the router. I did hard wire it initially and it worked, but I heeded the advice of DIRECTV and connected it wirelessly.

The DIRECTV online support person just said, "It will screw things up."

I thought I'd ask here since I don't trust DIRECTV and it makes little sense it must be wireless. Of course all of the documentation says "wireless router" is required for Internet access, etc. So maybe they're right.

Finally, I ordered the GenieGo 2 (not here yet), it seems it connects to SWM and Ethernet as well. Do I need to have my HR44 connected to Wireless and GenieGo wired? I'm confused how that will all work. I can run another Ethernet cable to that cabinet.

Please advise and thanks in advance!

We have an HR44 (see sig below) and we've had both wired and wireless setups without issue.

DirecTV would not have provided an RJ-45 jack (Ethernet) unless it was meant to be used for networking. Not sure why your tech would have said such things.

Reactions: edisonprime
by connecting the HR44 via ethernet, it can disable whole-home or can create issues with whole home. this is why it's recommended to connect it wirelessly. having both the GenieGo and the Genie connected via ethernet, it should be fine, however. it could create issues if the GenieGo is connected via the MoCa network and the Genie is connected via ethernet.

My HR44 is installed right next to my Wireless Router. I was told by the installer and an online DIRECTV support person that I could not use hard wired Ethernet to my router and that I must wirelessly connect the HR44 to the router. I did hard wire it initially and it worked, but I heeded the advice of DIRECTV and connected it wirelessly.

. . . .
They're 'nuts!'

by connecting the HR44 via ethernet, it can disable whole-home or can create issues with whole home. this is why it's recommended to connect it wirelessly. having both the GenieGo and the Genie connected via ethernet, it should be fine, however. it could create issues if the GenieGo is connected via the MoCa network and the Genie is connected via ethernet.

This is consistent with what they said, it can cause problems with the whole-home thing. However, in my case it didn't seem to cause any issues. Can anyone confirm the validity of this?

It doesn't happen all the time, but it can cause problems. If you have a different HDDVR, then the MRV can become disabled. I have seen it happen many times.

I had issues with my DECA. I think mine overheated and stopped working.
I hardwired my 44 and everything works great.
No issues of any kind including whole home.

While it is true that connecting Ethernet to the jack on older HD DVRs can cause WHDVR problems this is not the case with the HR44 and later units. It is designed to be directly connected to Ethernet and still function as normal with multiple DVRs. This is a common mistake even among installers.

I have a similar situation with my HR44 connected directly to my router via ethernet as well as a geniego and I have 3 HR24s in the house. We constantly use whole home between receivers. The HR24s also have access to the internet because the HR44 shares it over the coax network.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You will also need to go into settings > network setup > restore defaults to clear out the wireless settings

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

as for the geniego 2, they recommend connecting it via coax. *use the provided splitter*. my buddy spent hours trying to install one, then a different one, because he didnt use it. not sure whats so special about it, because it just looks like any ole 2 way spiltter, but as soon as he put it in it worked. dont bother connecting the geniego via ethernet. like the recievers, it will get its connection thru the genie itself.

I am going to guess that the OP is talking about using the Ethernet wiring instead of pulling Coax. They would need a Coax to Ethernet Balun, like this one. MuxLab 500302 CATV Balun II 75ohm Coax Videoease CAT5 Balun. They would need 4 of them, if they have two C31-700s, http://www.markertek.com/product/mu...catv-balun-ii-75ohm-coax-videoease-cat5-balun It would cost $156.00 for four of those Balun's. Great for those who have wired their homes with Ethernet and have abandoned Coax all together. Especially those in U-Verse markets that have their boxes using only Ethernet wiring. One Balun to the the Splitter, the other on the box. A person would of course need 6" to 12" jumpers with a Male to Male connector to connect the jumper to the Balun.

They would have to pull those Ethernet runs from the Router, so that they can go this route. The HR44 like everyone has stated, can stay wired through it. To me, it is above my checkbook. Especially since I already have the Coax pulled to those rooms with the C31's in them.

this is INCORRECT. Genies are diffent in this regard when compared to their "siblings, the HR2x series. Connecting a Genie to the internet via its ethernet port causes no harn in any way, including Whole-Home DVR.

Conecting both the GeneiGo and Gneie via ethernet is INCORRECT as well, as the GenieGo can act as a Braodband DECA and having both connected can cuase double NATing. Again, no isues ig the GenieGO is connected via MoCA and Genie via ethernet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am going to guess that the OP is talking about using the Ethernet wiring instead of pulling Coax. They would need a Coax to Ethernet Balun, like this one. MuxLab 500302 CATV Balun II 75ohm Coax Videoease CAT5 Balun. They would need 4 of them, if they have two C31-700s, http://www.markertek.com/product/mu...catv-balun-ii-75ohm-coax-videoease-cat5-balun It would cost $156.00 for four of those Balun's. Great for those who have wired their homes with Ethernet and have abandoned Coax all together. Especially those in U-Verse markets that have their boxes using only Ethernet wiring. One Balun to the the Splitter, the other on the box. A person would of course need 6" to 12" jumpers with a Male to Male connector to connect the jumper to the Balun.

They would have to pull those Ethernet runs from the Router, so that they can go this route. The HR44 like everyone has stated, can stay wired through it. To me, it is above my checkbook. Especially since I already have the Coax pulled to those rooms with the C31's in them.
Nope, not what I'm talking about. I just wanted to know if I could connect my Genie via hard wire, which it seems I can.

Ok, so I hard wired my HR44, then used the coax and splitter for the GenieGo (no Ethernet there). I gave my GenieGo a static IP via manual MAC address DHCP reservation and then forwarded 8082-8083. It was all working for a little while, but now my Genie regularly says Not Connected when using my Mac's Genie app. I can however ping the IP of the GenieGo, and I've rebooted the GenieGo and the HR44 a couple of times.

I've seen it work for a little while, but without any config change, it has decided to not work anymore. I hope the reliability is better than this. I am a network engineer, so in terms of IP addressing, DHCP, port forwarding, etc. I'm an expert.

Ok, so I hard wired my HR44, then used the coax and splitter for the GenieGo (no Ethernet there). I gave my GenieGo a static IP via manual MAC address DHCP reservation and then forwarded 8082-8083. It was all working for a little while, but now my Genie regularly says Not Connected when using my Mac's Genie app. I can however ping the IP of the GenieGo, and I've rebooted the GenieGo and the HR44 a couple of times.

I've seen it work for a little while, but without any config change, it has decided to not work anymore. I hope the reliability is better than this. I am a network engineer, so in terms of IP addressing, DHCP, port forwarding, etc. I'm an expert.
Some routers will not handle IP/MAC reservation too well. I set a Static IP on my HR44/700 and then went into the router and bound the IP of the HR44 to the MAC. I use a the Cisco RV320 SoHo router/gateway for my network. It does a better job in handling Sticky DHCP IP's and Static IP's.

As for that last part about being a Network Engineer. I find that most who state that they are, they tend to think about how a Domain works, not a home network. Majority like my Brother in-law go with standard off the shelf equipment and end up with headaches. Because they want to make their home network act like a domain with the cheap equipment that their provider gives them,

Those like myself have been dealing with this type of stuff, longer than those who are doing it every day as a job. It is really not that hard to hook up the Genie Go and other equipment to the network.

Some routers will not handle IP/MAC reservation too well. I set a Static IP on my HR44/700 and then went into the router and bound the IP of the HR44 to the MAC. I use a the Cisco RV320 SoHo router/gateway for my network. It does a better job in handling Sticky DHCP IP's and Static IP's.

As for that last part about being a Network Engineer. I find that most who state that they are, they tend to think about how a Domain works, not a home network. Majority like my Brother in-law go with standard off the shelf equipment and end up with headaches. Because they want to make their home network act like a domain with the cheap equipment that their provider gives them,

Those like myself have been dealing with this type of stuff, longer than those who are doing it every day as a job. It is really not that hard to hook up the Genie Go and other equipment to the network.

I certainly don't treat my home network like a domain network, but I also don't use UPnP for port forwarding, so I need to rely on manual forwarding. That said, the IP/Mac reservation was causing an issue. I believe it to be defective in the GenieGo more than the router as I have many devices that work fine. However, it seems the GenieGo only seems to want to operate on the first IP it sees. So I set up a reservation for that one, and adjusted the forwarding and it's working fine now.

You want to connect the HR44 via ethernet,but it can create issues with whole home. That is the reason it is recommended to connect wirelessly. If you are connecting GenieGo and the Genie via ethernet, it should be fine, however. it could create issues if the GenieGo is connected via the MoCa network and the Genie is connected via ethernet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)