HR44 freezes, screen goes black

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lnbchris

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Cleveland
Hi, I am a user for about a couple years now, and this is the very first problem I have had with DirecTV. The HR44 is cached back almost to its fullest extent while watching live TV. There is a commercial, I hit the FF button, and the screen goes blank. REWIND/Play/FF buttons don't do anything. I press the LIST button. It lists my recorded movies. I select and try to play a recorded movie instead. Blank screen. Only option is to reboot. Really?? This has happened TWICE in the last couple days now. WTF??

Hi, I am a user for about a couple years now, and this is the very first problem I have had with DirecTV. The HR44 is cached back almost to its fullest extent while watching live TV. There is a commercial, I hit the FF button, and the screen goes blank. REWIND/Play/FF buttons don't do anything. I press the LIST button. It lists my recorded movies. I select and try to play a recorded movie instead. Blank screen. Only option is to reboot. Really?? This has happened TWICE in the last couple days now. WTF??

The new software for the 44 is a bad egg.
Known issue to Directv.
How long to fix? Who knows.

Most people have no problem with the latest release, there's no sign it's a "bad egg".
What version is your software?

Many people reported the slowness issue cleared itself after 48-72 hours. Is yours still slower than usual??

Many people reported the slowness issue cleared itself after 48-72 hours. Is yours still slower than usual??

Hi, the software version is 0xa72, Thu 10/15, 3:49a. Exact unit is HR44/500. The last time this happened was sometime last night, Oct 19, 3:00am or thereabouts. No service messages. I actually saw the upgrade when it happened. These interruptions were nothing like that. As I said in my last post, the interruption happened exactly when I pushed the FF button on the remote - that is what triggered it or set it off.

I don't know if I'd say the unit was "sluggish", maybe a bit slower in response than before, but nothing to write home about.

I've had 2 issues with my hr44.. this same issue and then in addition when I fwd through the commercials sometimes I lose sound when a resume.. even if I rewind to the last part where I had sound the sound is gone.. change channels no sound. I turn tv and receiver ( no unplugging) and sound comes back .. it's happened 4 consecutive days

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've had 2 issues with my hr44.. this same issue and then in addition when I fwd through the commercials sometimes I lose sound when a resume.. even if I rewind to the last part where I had sound the sound is gone.. change channels no sound. I turn tv and receiver ( no unplugging) and sound comes back .. it's happened 4 consecutive days

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'd say they definitely "borked" their latest release. As in I have had DirecTV for over two years now and nothing like this has ever happened.

The issue has happened again, this time I observed it more carefully. Another observation of this phenomenon goes something like this:

I will be watching something live, in real time (ie. not "cached"). Then a new time slot comes up, even if it is in the middle of the program I am watching (probably the DVR starting another recording on a different tuner). Then the show I am watching "live" jumps to the very opposite end of the cache (the far left). Whatever I am watching "live" is interrupted with a previous bit of show or movie. Then if left on its own, it will go back to "real time".

So to summarize, a real-time show will get interrupted by the cache kicking in, presumably from another tuner beginning to record. Then it will self-correct about ten minutes later. It can also be corrected by flipping the channel back and forth - but that is completely unacceptable.

I suspect this same interruption "routine" will destroy a cache you might actually be using. (Watching TV an hour or so behind schedule). A "self-destructing cache" is what I was seeing at first, and now this is presumably the same issue but from a different perspective.

Hopefully this helps some of the developers. Either fix the dam thing or revert to the prior firmware release, there was nothing wrong with it!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)