HR44 & HR24 wiring question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anex80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Midwest
I just had 1 HR44, 1HR24, & 2C41 clients installed about 2 days ago. I did my best to depict the wiring in the attached diagram. Everything was working great until last night when the HR24 started displaying the 775 error. I swapped out everything I could think of including moving the receiver to another outlet and the error did not go away. What's weird is that the HR44 and C41 clients continued to work flawlessly.

After some time on the phone with tech support they decided the receiver was to blame and will be sending a replacement. My question is whether or not the current wiring configuration is somehow at fault. Perhaps there is a better method of connecting the devices to avoid this error. If so I'd like to get that modified first so I can avoid having the same fate with a new box.

6507f66f798ffd2e497abe30c3b9eb8d.png

Seems like it could have been done with just one 4 way splitter.

Seems like it could have been done with just one 4 way splitter.

ideally yes, one 4 way splitter with the power inserter between the splitter and the ground block. but you would also have to remove the broadband deca and rely on the internal deca from the genie which may not be getting a good wifi signal.

@OP it may also be a bad splitter. can you take a few pictures of your home so we can see how the cable is run so we can suggest how it might be done better? in any case, chaining splitters like that is poor form and usually leads to these types of errors. getting rid of one splitter will probably help, and moving the power inserter as close to the dish will definitly help.

I think the reason for the two splitters is that all of my cabling terminates in the attic which is where the first splitter is. The second is in my office which is where the Internet router is. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would it make more sense to setup this way?

IMG_0753.JPG

Unhook one of those c41 and hook up the 24 and I bet it will work. Like zashel said chaining splitters together causes issues.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Unhook one of those c41 and hook up the 24 and I bet it will work. Like zashel said chaining splitters together causes issues.

I actually tried that and it didn't work. I also moved the C41 into the spot where the HR24 was and that worked fine.

Ok that's really weird unless you know you hooked up everything right

Never use more than 2 splitters, and terminate any unused ports in the splitters used. We have seen this same issue when these rules are not followed.

So would my proposed setup work on the diagram? There are still 3 splitters but no more than 2 for any one endpoint.

So how does that explain how moving the HR24 to another outlet didn't work? Is it possible that the issue is in the unit itself?

its possible it is the HR24. maybe it got dropped before the tech put it in his truck or something. but more frequently it is a bad install. the new HDDVR will answer the question.

and just to make sure since nobody said it yet, you plugged the coax into the SWM-1 port on the DVR right?

Yes, it's in the SWM1 port. I moved it to an outlet with a working Genie client and the outlet with the working HR44 and same error so I think it's the receiver.

Concerning the wiring though, would it make more sense to go to one splitter and feed the receiver from the IRD port of the SWM power supply? I wouldn't be able to use the Deca then but maybe I could use Wifi on the HR44 instead.

I received my replacement HR-24 today and all is well again! Perhaps I just had a bad receiver. I did notice the first one was a HR24-100 and this one is HR24-500. Wouldn't think that would matter but I guess it might.

I don't like stacking splitters 2-3 deep.

My lazy techs do that sometimes and it pisses me the hell off

When I called to activate the new receiver they said they would still send a tech out to test the wiring anyway. That should be tomorrow so I'll talk to him about changing it up then.

Tech came out today and eliminated one of the splitters. He said it shouldn't be that big of a deal having 3 but definitely not best practice.

Tech came out today and eliminated one of the splitters. He said it shouldn't be that big of a deal having 3 but definitely not best practice.

3 is a little extreme. I've done 2 which really isn't the best idea but sometimes the job just calls for it when homes have been built on and customers aren't too thrilled of running lines but 2 isn't bad either. It's when you start adding 8 ways and 4 ways in the same system you start dropping db's extremely fast

3 is a little extreme. I've done 2 which really isn't the best idea but sometimes the job just calls for it when homes have been built on and customers aren't too thrilled of running lines but 2 isn't bad either. It's when you start adding 8 ways and 4 ways in the same system you start dropping db's extremely fast

Now I've got one 2-way on the outside with one end going direct to the HR44 and the other being split to the HR24 and 2 clients. So far so good. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. The tech said he liked the diagram that I still had on my white board, lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)