HR54 - 4K Genie FIRST LOOK

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The common theme that I found interesting in that material:

DirecTV clarified carefully the use of a PI on SWIM modules vs not using a PI on SWM LNBs. I'm sure this is something that will get messed up often and result in damaged equipment and additional truck roles. This is the danger in combining the PI in to the receiver on some models when other models don't have that.

Additionally, I thought the frank speaking of cost effectiveness and how removing components like the modem were central to their decisions when designing the HR54.

Lastly, they very clearly indicate it is a rolling change, like previous generations, and still today there are HR34 in warehouses to use.

It would be very hard to damage anything....

The common theme that I found interesting in that material:

DirecTV clarified carefully the use of a PI on SWIM modules vs not using a PI on SWM LNBs. I'm sure this is something that will get messed up often and result in damaged equipment and additional truck roles. This is the danger in combining the PI in to the receiver on some models when other models don't have that.

Additionally, I thought the frank speaking of cost effectiveness and how removing components like the modem were central to their decisions when designing the HR54.

Lastly, they very clearly indicate it is a rolling change, like previous generations, and still today there are HR34 in warehouses to use.

From what I read, connecting an external power inserter to an HR54 will result in the built in one be disabled.

I believe that's the case. Even if it didn't, the two power inserters have the same voltage so it should not cause a problem,

Thats the first time I have officially seen in writing about Transponder Bonding on the HR54. We have been talking about Transponder Bonding for almost a year now on DIRECTV. (Something that other sites got mad at us for, for talking about.)

Once again we were 100% correct.

BTW I am starting to find out more about this new AT&T DIRECTV / UVERSE combo box... hope to have more to share soon.

Reactions: Stephen Henson
I believe that's the case. Even if it didn't, the two power inserters have the same voltage so it should not cause a problem,

Not in the way the documentation reads, that is referring to a swm module, ie. multiswitch, which uses a 29v power inserter. And not to correct anyone, but I have not seen anywhere on paper that the internal PI is disabled if another PI is used. Not saying that it does not happen, but if it does, there is no documentation to support that, that I have seen as of yet.

The slides attached were specific to requiring a splitter with with the HR54 connected to the non-power passing side for swim module setups (swm 16 for example).

To say that techs will remember that type of thing could be an issue. Look back at the HR20-100 and it's special splitter setups, techs made a mess of that all the time.
Same thing with DECA when it first came out.

I don't know what sending 21v and 29v into the same line will do, perhaps it will just disable the one built into the receiver, but to be honest I wouldn't want to find out.

Not in the way the documentation reads, that is referring to a swm module, ie. multiswitch, which uses a 29v power inserter. And not to correct anyone, but I have not seen anywhere on paper that the internal PI is disabled if another PI is used. Not saying that it does not happen, but if it does, there is no documentation to support that, that I have seen as of yet.
We already know that using a 29v PI for an SWM LNB is not an issue.

Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 3.10.24 PM.png

Reactions: HoTat2
Wow, ... very interesting;

Very good find Scott...

Wonder what specific software download that is which will enable the R-band signal strength screens to appear on the Genie?

So far only seeing the new LNB listings in the sat. setup of the HR24s here, but no 99/103cr screens

And I notice that while the document states that both 99cr and 103cr screens will appear, only 99cr is pictured. I notice because the rights to the R-band at 103W was still in legal dispute with other entities last I heard.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Wow, ... very interesting;

Very good find Scott...

Wonder what specific software download that is which will enable the R-band signal strength screens to appear on the Genie?

So far only seeing the new LNB listings in the sat. setup of the HR24s here, but no 99/103cr screens

And I notice that while the document states that both 99cr and 103cr screens will appear, only 99cr is pictured. I notice because the rights to the R-band at 103W was still in legal dispute with other entities last I heard.

I don't think you ever going to see the readings on the HR24s. The R band is supposedly only for the HR54s.... Or so I think....

I don't think you ever going to see the readings on the HR24s. The R band is supposedly only for the HR54s.... Or so I think....
Selected the "Slimline-5DR" option in the satellite setup on one of the HR24s as a test and the 99 (cr) and 103 (cr) screens appeared. All zeros of course off my SL-5/SWiM-16 install here.

Selected the "Slimline-5DR" option in the satellite setup on one of the HR24s as a test and the 99 (cr) and 103 (cr) screens appeared. All zeros of course off my SL-5/SWiM-16 install here.

So they question is, can the HR24 do anything with the new band?

I wonder what they are going to do for those who have International's that come off of 95 and 4k? I didn't see an option of the Slimline-5DR plus 95.
Unless they plan to mirror the WD service programming to somewhere on 99-119W.

Excuse my venting and then a question:

Comcast releases a statement that says they will release a 4K through HDMI connection box in 2016 and the best DirecTV can do is provide a solution that requires an RVU? So, my Samsung JS 8500 4K TV that can connect to the Genie via HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 won't work be use the new HR 54 can't support HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2. So in order to get 4K from the HR54, I have to activate the RVU (which by the way has to be hard wired to the network since wireless is not supported by Samsung) and add another client at a monthly charge. Priceless!

So my question is, does anyone know if DirecTV will be developing a Genie with HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 in the near future because this approach borders on ludicrous.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)