HR54 - 4K Genie FIRST LOOK

Status
Please reply by conversation.
First, you are misunderstanding the DirecTV 4K offering. With an HR54 and the C61K, you won't need an RVU. Second, who knows what DirecTV will release in 2016? Maybe there will be a Genie that will drive a 4K Tv directly over HDMI by the end of 2016.

I think his complaint is that either way DIRECTV's current 4K solution is actually double-dipping on fees requiring both a Genie receiver and RVU client unless they come out with a 4K Genie to match what Comcast promises to do in 2016.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Not sure if this was directed to my post. I am not misunderstanding. I have an RVU capable TV. I find it foolish that in order to get 4K output from a DVR it has to be done this way instead of a direct connection. It's still an additional client any way you slice it. I was looking to see if anyone has good Intel on the possibility of 4K through HDMI in the future. I'm going to wait instead of investing in an HR54 that really falls short of the mark.

Also, just to clarify:

I have been a DirecTV customer for close to 15 years (that includes Sunday Ticket.).

I have a Samsung 2015 4K TV directly connected via HDMI to an HR 44.

I detest Comcast but I am extremely disappointed in this approach.

Hope that helps!

But Comcast does not have anything yet either.... And there is no 4K to watch yet... So there's nothing yet to be disappointed about..

But Comcast does not have anything yet either.... And there is no 4K to watch yet... So there's nothing yet to be disappointed about..
+1

At least wait to see if Comcast really delivers on this promise before criticizing the DIRECTV system if it has nothing comparable at that time.

Right now though DIRECTV is clearly ahead of Comcast on 4K as they at least have a system whereas Comcast has none.

Nailed IT!!!!! All of this complaining for nothing. Having a 4K genie will just get you bragging rights.... And a whole in the wallet as customer will have to buy PPV in order to enjoy bragging rights!!!!! Laughable at best...

Okay folks. You are certainly entitled to your opinions. I am simply expressing mine. An approach that doesn't have a direct connect option is certainly lacking. I would hope this changes in the future and that's what I am hoping to see. In terms of no content, it does in fact allow a wait, hence my not worrying about installing an HR 54. Thanks for the constructive input.

Okay folks. You are certainly entitled to your opinions. I am simply expressing mine. An approach that doesn't have a direct connect option is certainly lacking. I would hope this changes in the future and that's what I am hoping to see. In terms of no content, it does in fact allow a wait, hence my not worrying about installing an HR 54. Thanks for the constructive input.

This is not where the future is. The future is having a "server" in a media closet and accessing everything based off of clients. If you make the clients dumb and connect to the one piece of equipment that has scalability then it's much cheaper to roll out upgrades and produce. It costs ATT less money to put something with one hard drive than six receivers with six hard drives. I see them doing a genie type server that you put in a media closet that reaches out to the internet and via satellite for your content and stores it locally. From there you can go to any client and have functionality like pause and pick up anywhere as well. You don't need a direct connect to your TV from a box with a hard drive. The C61K does that, while the content may be on a different device in the grand scheme of things what goes on on the backplane doest make a difference, because in the end it works even better, than having something right there, and the networked gear has better functionality. The box of the future will be cloud-based where you can get your content anywhere, and the traditional approach isn't needed anymore as it all works better.

This is not where the future is. The future is having a "server" in a media closet and accessing everything based off of clients. If you make the clients dumb and connect to the one piece of equipment that has scalability then it's much cheaper to roll out upgrades and produce. It costs ATT less money to put something with one hard drive than six receivers with six hard drives. I see them doing a genie type server that you put in a media closet that reaches out to the internet and via satellite for your content and stores it locally. From there you can go to any client and have functionality like pause and pick up anywhere as well. You don't need a direct connect to your TV from a box with a hard drive. The C61K does that, while the content may be on a different device in the grand scheme of things what goes on on the backplane doest make a difference, because in the end it works even better, than having something right there, and the networked gear has better functionality. The box of the future will be cloud-based where you can get your content anywhere, and the traditional approach isn't needed anymore as it all works better.

Wouldn't that go back to how UVerseTV is with the HD stream limitations if you have dumb clients? I think having a combination of dumb clients and tuner based boxes would be the way to go.

I think many of us feel this is probably the future direction. However, with a big part of the population not able to access internet speeds that would allow a truly cloud based system, it's probably some way off.

Wouldn't that go back to how UVerseTV is with the HD stream limitations if you have dumb clients? I think having a combination of dumb clients and tuner based boxes would be the way to go.

No... Stream limits are based upon available bandwidth for uverse. The reason why they limited the amount of HD streams was because they did not have enough bandwidth to be able to give you more that 3 or 4. With SWIM Technology, you can have up to 22 tuners on one dish, as of right now with the new LNB's that are coming out. Plus the IRD's have a few additional built-in tuners for downloading off of the internet that dont count to your tuner limit. You can attach as many clients as you want to the server, as long as a tuner is available you should be able to watch programming. Right now with the current generation of genies you can hook up to 8 clients off of it. I see additional being added with more swim tuners for transponder bonding and more clients in the next gen system.

I think many of us feel this is probably the future direction. However, with a big part of the population not able to access internet speeds that would allow a truly cloud based system, it's probably some way off.

Actually, this is a lot closer than what many think. We're about 5 years away from everyone having gigabit via wireless. 1 year from a mass gigabit docis 3.1 roll out, and google fiber / att gigalife / CenturyLink gig deployments becoming a mass thing. This time next year most people in urban areas will have access to 1 gig. Rural to follow in 2-5. Telcos want to drop copper in favor of a fiber / wireless hybrid presence. Your going to see deployments where the masses are and small town America to be last and the most expensive. I know a lot of people won't like it that the majority of rural America gets skipped with fiber deployments, but that isn't where the money making population is, and like most farming communities, the population levels are dropping to the point that it doesn't make financial sense to roll out fiber, but a wireless gigabit product instead. The issue with the telcos is, why spend money on an area where a population base is in decline? They are going to hit up the places where the population levels are 20,000 plus first before they hit up some small town with 250. This is going to hurt places like Texas where there are a bunch of small towns in decline.

What I see happening is suburbs and major metro areas are going to see the rollout where the population masses are, skipping out on the smaller areas. We saw it in the uverse rollout, and I don't think that will change.

... Is the new DSWM 13 the correct LNB for DirecTV 4K Sat transmission?

2 of the 3 new ones are if the Reverse Band is to be the band used for live 4K transmission.

However, the other one that has actually appeared in public so far, the Slimline-3D2, is only Ka/Ku and thus won't be for live 4K.

Update: From everything that's been able to ascertain the Slimline-3D2 (DSWM2) can support up to only 21 tuners instead of 22. At least under the current receiver NR firmwares 0x0abc and 0x09dd.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts