HR54 confirmed Esata enclosures?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ElectroMetro

Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
USA
Anyone been able to confirm enclosures that work with the HR54? I just got one and want to expand the storage. I was thinking about some 6TB WD Purple drives. Anyone have any experience with these on the HR54?

Best regards,
ElectroMetro

:welcome to Satelliteguys ElectroMetro!

I've always thought there is no need for an external hard drive that big, but I don't use mine for archiving, only time shifting. I suspect any one that works on the previous models should be fine for the HR54.

There are so few HR54s around, and even less with people who might be concerned about external drives, I don't think there is any real info out there on this.

Can't believe people want to put larger that a TB or maybe 2 at most, but 6 is quite excessive.
If your recording that much on the drive, how are you gonna feel when all that is gone when the drive eventually fails ?

They all fail eventually ... and people complain that they lost thier shows .. :confused:

Reactions: ejb1980
It's just that most HR54s have been new customer installs and the customer probably does not know or care about adding an external drive.

Can't believe people want to put larger that a TB or maybe 2 at most, but 6 is quite excessive.
If your recording that much on the drive, how are you gonna feel when all that is gone when the drive eventually fails ?

They all fail eventually ... and people complain that they lost thier shows .. :confused:

I don't think there is any point either. The DVR is a time delay device, it's not designed for archiving....

RIght on! those are the ones that see the DVR as an archive device instead of its real purpose which is to timeshift. My Genie never gets pass 40% full with a stock drive.

RIght on! those are the ones that see the DVR as an archive device instead of its real purpose which is to timeshift. My Genie never gets pass 40% full with a stock drive.
I'm at 45% right now, however, I have kept ALL my series shows from the beginning, just so I can watch one again if I forget an episode ... then I will delete all but the last few before the new season starts and delete the previous season once the new gets started.

Well I figured out that complainign to the retention department just right they send you an HR54. So now I want to get all my shows on there and not have to worry about removing them anytime soon. If I do lose them when the drive dies then oh well. I'm unaware of any that worked on the previous models as I didn't own an external drive for my HR34.

Thanks again

If you want to ship me a hard drive I can try it out on my 54 ;) at this point the 54 runs essentially the same software as the 34 and 44 so I would assume it works the same way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)