HR54 Genie doesn't buffer previous channel?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jvfan57

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2015
WA
When we had our HR22-100 it would also buffer the previous channel we watched if we went back to it.

I may be just not in tune with new equipment, but seeing it has 5 tuners (+2 for future) shouldn't it have more buffering capability without hitting the RECORD button?

Any thoughts or advice.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you change the channel on the same tuner, it won't buffer. in order for that to happen, you will have to use double play. the hr22 also doesn't have that feature, so I can't speak to why it may have worked before. all I know is that in order to see anything before you tune to it, double play must be used.

double play is activated by pressing the down arrow twice, then to switch back and forth, to use the down arrow again to the previous channel any time you change the channel from there, however, it will lose anything up to that point.

of note, it only buffers from the time you tune to the channel, nothing before.

Because the Genie must have free tuners always available for its minis, holding a tuner is not an option.

if you change the channel on the same tuner, it won't buffer. in order for that to happen, you will have to use double play. the hr22 also doesn't have that feature, so I can't speak to why it may have worked before. all I know is that in order to see anything before you tune to it, double play must be used.

double play is activated by pressing the down arrow twice, then to switch back and forth, to use the down arrow again to the previous channel any time you change the channel from there, however, it will lose anything up to that point.

Sorry to say that the HR22 DOES IN DEED have double play!

Ok just gave it a try. Works, but confused as to which channels it buffers once you double tap the down arrow.

Ok just gave it a try. Works, but confused as to which channels it buffers once you double tap the down arrow.

Select first channel to "buffer"
Press Down arrow
Confirm Double Play by pressing down arrow again
Select second channel to "buffer"
Press Down arrow to switch between the two "buffers"
If at any time you change the channel you will clear the buffer "on that tuner" from that point back and begin a new one. The other tuner will remain unaffected.

Works on any HR series receiver

Almost the same procedure when using PIP on the Genies except you activate PIP using the info screen.
Switching between the two tuners is the same.

Hope this helps

I'll give it a try......thanks so much!!!

yes, it has double play, but does not buffer prior to tuning to the channel.
Neither does any HR!

If you have a buffer currently, starting DP preserves that buffer on that channel no buffer on the new channel but no buffer on the new channel. This is how DP behaves on any HR including the Genie. Where the Genie differs is IF the channel or channels to be DP are already being watched on a mini, then you will have a buffer on those channels.

Neither does any HR!

If you have a buffer currently, starting DP preserves that buffer on that channel no buffer on the new channel but no buffer on the new channel. This is how DP behaves on any HR including the Genie. Where the Genie differs is IF the channel or channels to be DP are already being watched on a mini, then you will have a buffer on those channels.

That is actually what I said.

I said that the HR22 does not have the pre-buffer feature. I never said the HR22 doesn't have double play. I never said the HR54 has the ability to pre-buffer.

I only brought up double play as an alternative. If you'd read the post correctly, you may have noticed this.

That is actually what I said.

I said that the HR22 does not have the pre-buffer feature. I never said the HR22 doesn't have double play. I never said the HR54 has the ability to pre-buffer.

I only brought up double play as an alternative. If you'd read the post correctly, you may have noticed this.
So then what "feature" are you referring to?

So then what "feature" are you referring to?

The feature of a channel buffering when they tuned back to it, as the TS was referring to.

Since they mentioned nothing of double play, I took that as they weren't using double play to tune back to the channel, which means that "feature" wasn't available. Shouldn't be that hard to comprehend, but you tend to have selective reading at times, so it's okay.

The feature of a channel buffering when they tuned back to it, as the TS was referring to.

Since they mentioned nothing of double play, I took that as they weren't using double play to tune back to the channel, which means that "feature" wasn't available. Shouldn't be that hard to comprehend, but you tend to have selective reading at times, so it's okay.
Channel buffering is more reliable on a dual tuner DVR than a Genie. So you mentioned DP followed by the HR22 does not have that feature, yet you claimed that is not what you meant. Perhaps I have selective reading, you may have selected comprehension however.

Channel buffering is more reliable on a dual tuner DVR than a Genie. So you mentioned DP followed by the HR22 does not have that feature, yet you claimed that is not what you meant. Perhaps I have selective reading, you may have selected comprehension however.

But I also mentioned the word "also" - - referring to the TS's complaint that the HR54 doesn't "buffer the previous channel." Never mentioned double play in relation to the HR54, so I don't see how "the hr22 also doesn't have that feature" would relate to double play when I was referring to the issue the TS was having. I also said that I couldn't speak to why it was working before, but the TS never talked about double play. Alas.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)